advice for casual music listener
Jul 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #32 of 68
they really do need an amp.  They just sound kinda thin without one.  all the sub bass i spoke of is gone without power.
frown.gif

i use my ear buds or shures if im using an mp3 player or portable device

here is ZombieX's take on the 32 ohm beyers.  he's done a great knowledgeable member

[size=18pt]32Ohm Models[/size]

Despite their low Ohm rating, the 32Ohm variants actually will need a little more power than what the 250Ohm require. The reason they need a bit more juice is because of their sensitivity and impedance. They have both a really low impedance and a lower sensitivity rating, thus they will need more power. Take the K701/K702 for example: despite it's low impedance (62Ohms I beleive), they have a very low sensitivity. The more sensitive a headphone is the easier they will be to power and reach a desired volume. The DT770/32 have a impedance of 32Ohms and a sensitivity rating of 101dB. This makes than a bit more difficult tog et to the desired volume and power properly. I believe they require a nice voltage swing as well as more current than most 32Ohm headphones.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #34 of 68
nick,

Get the Beyer DT770 Pros, in the 80 ohm version. To me, they sound just fine out of any source. They will be perfect for electronic music and hip-hop. Plus they are built like tanks. They will survive college and then some. The cable on these headphones is long though. 10 foot straight cable. They have a decent clamping force pressure on the headband as well, so they isolate fairly well, and they are extremely comfortable. They also have better sub-bass than the Beats. You won't be disappointed if you like Beyers build-quality and design. Oh yeah, they are closed headphones, so they won't leak and disturb your roommates. Plus, I think you will like these better than the m50s. They go for around $150-199 new on ebay and other sites.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #35 of 68

Quote:
If you're looking for passive noise isolation (not active noise canceling--which really is only good for constant droning sounds), try the Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 ohms.  Most (all?) active noise canceling sets aren't that good.  That won't "solve" the problem of not having a dedicated amp, but they can sure be loud enough out of most sources unless you like listening really loud.  It's probably in the range of two to three times as loud as the DT 990 600 ohms from most sources.

mike said the 770 32 ohms would be 2-3 times as loud as the 990 600 ohms on ipod/iphone, would that be decent to say? cause if so thats plenty loud enough for me right now without an amp the 990 600 ohms are around a regular conversation in loudness

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #36 of 68
they are louder.  but nowhere near 2-3 times louder.
Just tested it on my HTC Evo and the 32 ohm are 2 notches louder than the 600.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 68

Quote:
nick,

Get the Beyer DT770 Pros, in the 80 ohm version. To me, they sound just fine out of any source. They will be perfect for electronic music and hip-hop. Plus they are built like tanks. They will survive college and then some. The cable on these headphones is long though. 10 foot straight cable. They have a decent clamping force pressure on the headband as well, so they isolate fairly well, and they are extremely comfortable. They also have better sub-bass than the Beats. You won't be disappointed if you like Beyers build-quality and design. Oh yeah, they are closed headphones, so they won't leak and disturb your roommates. Plus, I think you will like these better than the m50s. They go for around $150-199 new on ebay and other sites.

what is the main difference between the dt 770 and the dt 770 pros? is it just the pros are 80 ohms vs 32 ?

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #38 of 68

Quote:
what is the main difference between the dt 770 and the dt 770 pros? is it just the pros are 80 ohms vs 32 ?

different ohms of course, and a different style. i imagine they have slightly different drivers as well. i am not certain how drastically different they sound though. I just know I have the DT770s and I love their sound with whatever source I throw at them. And with your musical tastes, I think they would suit you perfectly.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #39 of 68

Quote:
different ohms of course, and a different style. i imagine they have slightly different drivers as well. i am not certain how drastically different they sound though. I just know I have the DT770s and I love their sound with whatever source I throw at them. And with your musical tastes, I think they would suit you perfectly.

i have no doubt i would like them do you use an amp or no?

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:
they are louder.  but nowhere near 2-3 times louder.
Just tested it on my HTC Evo and the 32 ohm are 2 notches louder than the 600.

Well, it's good to have an actual opinion from somebody who owns both, as opposed to somebody just guessing from publicly-available information (me).  Unfortunately, my personal experience with the 770/880/990 lineup is limited to the 770 Pro 80 ohms (there's a Pro 250 ohms too, and a special M version with extra isolation as well).  It's indeed extremely sturdy and comfortable.  The bass is a bit overpowering for my tastes though.

Anyway, look here for some data on different headphones, including DT 880 32/250/600 ohms.  I think DT 770 and 990 are similar in how the impedance effects the performance, though you may also need to be careful with the different editions (year numbers).  Most of the characteristics are the same between the different impedance models, except the impedance.  However, It looks like the 32 ohms version is a little less well controlled--see the impulse response and 300 Hz square wave tests.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

But the DT 880 32 ohms measured 0.125 V (rms) to reach 90 dB SPL at 1 kHz and 33 ohms impedance, thus taking 0.47 mW for 90 dB.  Sensitivity should thus be about 93.3 dB / mW.  The DT 880 600 ohms measured 0.514 V (rms) to reach 90 dB SPL at 1 kHz and 619 ohms impedance, thus taking 0.43 mW for 90 dB.  Sensitivity should thus be about 93.7 dB / mW, practically the same.

But if that DT 880 32 ohms were given the same 0.514 V (rms), that should be about 16.9 times the power given to the headphones, for about 112 dB.  That's 12 dB more than the DT 880 600 ohms at the same (volume setting, thus voltage) level.  10 dB more sounds about twice as loud to people.

So I don't know.  One caveat is if the source output impedance is non-negligible, then the difference should be smaller than 12 dB at a given output level, since the lower-impedance headphones would receive less of the signal.  That could explain the two notch difference on the HTC Evo, whatever unit a "notch" is.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #41 of 68

Quote:
Well, it's good to have an actual opinion from somebody who owns both, as opposed to somebody just guessing from publicly-available information (me).  Unfortunately, my personal experience with the 770/880/990 lineup is limited to the 770 Pro 80 ohms (there's a Pro 250 ohms too, and a special M version with extra isolation as well).  It's indeed extremely sturdy and comfortable.  The bass is a bit overpowering for my tastes though.

Anyway, look here for some data on different headphones, including DT 880 32/250/600 ohms.  I think DT 770 and 990 are similar in how the impedance effects the performance, though you may also need to be careful with the different editions (year numbers).  Most of the characteristics are the same between the different impedance models, except the impedance.  However, It looks like the 32 ohms version is a little less well controlled--see the impulse response and 300 Hz square wave tests.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

But the DT 880 32 ohms measured 0.125 V (rms) to reach 90 dB SPL at 1 kHz and 33 ohms impedance, thus taking 0.47 mW for 90 dB.  Sensitivity should thus be about 93.3 dB / mW.  The DT 880 600 ohms measured 0.514 V (rms) to reach 90 dB SPL at 1 kHz and 619 ohms impedance, thus taking 0.43 mW for 90 dB.  Sensitivity should thus be about 93.7 dB / mW, practically the same.

But if that DT 880 32 ohms were given the same 0.514 V (rms), that should be about 16.9 times the power given to the headphones, for about 112 dB.  That's 12 dB more than the DT 880 600 ohms at the same (volume setting, thus voltage) level.  10 dB more sounds about twice as loud to people.

So I don't know.  One caveat is if the source output impedance is non-negligible, then the difference should be smaller than 12 dB at a given output level, since the lower-impedance headphones would receive less of the signal.  That could explain the two notch difference on the HTC Evo, whatever unit a "notch" is.

do you use an amp on your 770 pros?

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #42 of 68
thats awesome info Mike!  I've been looking around for a new amp one that would hopefully drive both impedances well.  that gives me an idea of the output needed to achieve volume. the real question is why the hell i decided to buy a 32 ohm and a 600 ohm headphone.
How loud is 90 db?

about the evo.  i guess it could be 50% louder.  i dunno, but the 600 at full volume(10) sounded like the 32 at two notches down from full(8).

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #43 of 68
well a jet flying over your head is 100 db and 97 db is a newspaper press which is pretty loud, they compare 90 db to a motorcycle at 25 feet which seems odd to compare to http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #44 of 68
so 90 db is pretty loud to be continuously listeing to your headphones?

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #45 of 68
it is said that listening to over 88 db for a few hours damages your hearing over time, i think 110 is the threshold of pain and anything over 95 db for more then 1 hour will cause damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back