advice for casual music listener
Jul 17, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #47 of 68
well, they will get really loud.  But the 770/32s will get louder while staying "clean" or maintaining their richness and tightness.  The 990s get thin in the mids and VERY shrill when you try to crank it.  i think this is due to the voltage swing or lack of really and impedance where my pioneer reciever may not have the voltage that the 600 ohm 990s need to stay full and clean at high volumes.

probably in the 100-105 db  + or - 5 db probably haha.

i have the 990s LOUD atm and its definately about as loud as anyone without hearing problems would want.

here maybe this helps, the 990s with an amp and being "open" will get loud enough to where i can barely hear myself singing along with the music as loud as i can

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #48 of 68
i am going to return these 990 600 ohms but im not sure if the 770 pro 80 ohm version will solve my problem, im still considering the audio technicas m50s too, if i do go for the 770 pros i will save 100$ from the 990s and then will purchase an amp with that

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #49 of 68
i had a pair of the 770 pros and gave them to my bro for his studio.  if i can get over there sometime this week i can do a side by side comparison to the 770 premiums.  but what i can remember is the pros being slightly richer without an amp.  BUT the overall sound quality being less tight, less accurate, less clean and  less clear.  more BOOM.  very boomy. but still good cans.  im just in love with the premiums.  Both have a lot of bass, the pros just have more while the premiums have tighter punchier bass

but yeah i like the idea of getting a little amp for your dorm or home or w/e.  i would bet the fiio e7 by itself would do pretty well. and the best part of that is it also does DAC duty for you!  plus its the size of an iphone 4 pretty much

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #51 of 68
probably not without an amp. the m50 is easy to drive.
but with one absolutely.

maybe someone here has both the m50 and the 770 pro and they could comment more.
i got rid of the m50s when i got the 770 pro and got rid of the 770 pro last winter when i got the shure 840.
but tastes vary.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #53 of 68

Quote:
how are the shure 840? do you need an amp for those? are they an upgrade from the m50s?

The 840s are a small step-up from the M50's in terms of overall sound quality, but not in terms of bass/sub-bass quantity (the 840s are really laid-back and neutral, perfect for instrumental music, but no-no for house/rap music). The reason why the M50's are so popular here as entry-level headphones is because it has very nice overall sound quality and a bass that is kicking but not overwhelming, and it plays like a champ without an amp, which fits the needs of many people.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #55 of 68
yeah the m50s have more bass.  the 840s have amazing mids and over clarity with great mid bass punch.

and opinions on those two will vary.

id seriously go 770/32 ohm with a fiio e7.  and then for birthday or xmas get the fiio e9 to accompany them.
send back the 600 ohms, i bet the 770s are 50 bucks cheaper put that towards the e7

when both the m50 and 770 are powered they are not in the same class in my opinion.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #56 of 68
 whats the difference between the e7 and e9 amps? and which 770s the 770s pros with 80 ohms are only 150 saves me 150$ or the 770 pro 250 ohm for 100$ only of saving, for some reason the regular 770 32 ohm version is 250 What and saves me only 50$?

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #57 of 68
Keep in mind that music is not always at the same volume.  Even if sustained levels above 80 dB or so aren't good for long-term listening, depending on what you're listening to, you may want peaks to go significantly higher.  For example, you're listening to a symphony recording and there is a quiet flute solo in the low register.  This may be like 60 dB quieter or so than the entire orchestra playing at max volume for the climax.  So if you have the flute solo playing at about 50 dB, then most of the time the music may be around 80 dB, and for the climax it may be up to like 110 dB for a note, which is maybe a reasonable volume for that occasional peak.

Most modern music is mastered with a much much much narrower dynamic range though.

E9 is a lot more powerful, is a desktop (non-portable) amp, and is more expensive.
E7 is less powerful, can be used as an amp (portable) or USB DAC or USB DAC + amp, and is less expensive.

The performance of both devices is actually similar except that the E9 has more power.  The advantage of the E7 is that when used with the computer, it will bypass whatever sound card you have.  The DAC implementation on the E7 is apparently okay (not stellar) and superior to that on most consumer sound cards.  Also, you could carry around the E7 and use it as an amp for your TV or something else.

I suspect that unless you listen to music with a lot of dynamic range and thus need the max possible volume to be higher, the E7 should have enough power for the DT 770 Pro 80.  They should be able to put over 40 mW cleanly into those headphones.  I've not personally tried it, but I don't think there's anything to suggest that the E7 doesn't have enough "power" or "authority" or "current" and so on (whatever those things mean when people say them) for most headphones with lower impedance like that.   e.g. the Denons, AKG K701, the Shures, the more efficient orthodynamics, etc.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #58 of 68
im just trying to decide if it would be better for me to take the m50s without an amp or the 770s with the e7 i am not sure what would best suit my needs, but i do like the beyers quality, also if i do get the 770 pros it would prolly be the 250 ohm version would the e7 be efficient for that just as the 80 ohm version?

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #60 of 68
nick,
to answer your question, i use my beyer 770 pro 80s with an ibasso D6 and it is wonderful. i'd say go for the 770 pro 80s and get a nice little amp/dac combo (maybe in the used market), and you should be set. i use my pro80s with an ipod classic, an Asus laptop, and through my Denon home receiver. all are pleasing to my ears. I would avoid the shure 840s, i had them, and they are heavy and uncomfortable. sort of a bulbous headphone you put on your head. beyers have a more snug and comfortable fit. the shure sound was nice, but i couldn't listen to them for more than an hour due to the headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back