advice for casual music listener
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #61 of 68

Quote:
nick,
to answer your question, i use my beyer 770 pro 80s with an ibasso D6 and it is wonderful. i'd say go for the 770 pro 80s and get a nice little amp/dac combo (maybe in the used market), and you should be set. i use my pro80s with an ipod classic, an Asus laptop, and through my Denon home receiver. all are pleasing to my ears. I would avoid the shure 840s, i had them, and they are heavy and uncomfortable. sort of a bulbous headphone you put on your head. beyers have a more snug and comfortable fit. the shure sound was nice, but i couldn't listen to them for more than an hour due to the headband.

how do they sound without an amp? i really do like the 770 pros i am either with the 770 pros or the audio technica m50s, or am considering other headphones too, but i might just go for the 770 pros and get an amp since it would be cheaper then the 990s themselves

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #62 of 68
i am returning the 990 600 ohms right now and im prolly getting the 770 pros 250 ohms since their 80 ohm version is not sold through amazon itself, amazon reccomends the fiio e5 amp and the fiio l3 line out dock for ipod for the 770, do you think the e5 is good or should i go with the e7? and what is the fiio l3 dock thing do?

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #63 of 68
Both the E5 and E7 aren't powerful enough for moderate-sensitivity 250 ohms headphones unless you're sure you listen at reasonably quiet volumes.  E5 power amp section uses the same chip as the E7 actually.  The advantage of the E7 is in a better pre-amp (so slightly better amp performance overall) and particularly in having the USB DAC functionality.

You're looking for the E11 (cheaper than E7, but is amp only) or something else if you want to be able to drive all but the most demanding headphones.  Apparently the E11 design is similar to the DIY Mini^3 portable amp, for what that's worth.  I wouldn't necessarily take that as a good thing or a bad thing.

A line-out dock bypasses the internal headphone amp of the iPod so you're getting the signal more directly from the DAC.  If you just use the iPod headphone output to an external amp, you will be passing the signal from the iPod DAC through both the iPod internal amp and then your external amp.  However, most iPods have reasonably non-noisy, low-distortion headphone outputs that should be fairly well behaved driving an external amplifier.  The input impedance of an external amp is in the thousands of ohms.  It's much easier to drive a large impedance load like that more accurately because the current requirements are much lower.  Therefore, using the line-out dock should be better, but probably not by much at all.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #64 of 68
what would be the best amp to pair with these? http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310857002&sr=1-1 as i said its the 250 ohm version since the 80 ohm version isnt directly through amazon itself, i want to keep the cost under 300$

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #66 of 68
how does it sound?
enough bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back