AD700?
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #18 of 24
I've heard quite a few people recommending some Samsons SR850 (or something like that...) so you might still want to check out some reviews.

Still, I own the AD700s and only used them with my PC.
Sound is just "Ok".
Lacks bass, very airy but EXTREMELY comfortable and does it job in movies
and gaming.

Enjoy!!

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 24
Well I am 1 of the 10 that suggest something else completely. The AD700 is over rated in every way. For music and especially for gaming.

The SAMSON SR850 is superior to the AD700 both for music and for games.. The Samson has just a clean a sound as the AD700 but with dynamic full impact Bass. With almost the same sound stage. Semi closed so it wont let out as much sound..When you use a gaming AMP or a sound card with 3D positioning. Nothing beats the Samson.

I own the AD700. .They are NOT what I consider a good gaming can at all.. Too airy and spacious with no bass. Gun fire from 20 ft away sound like 25 ft away.  As limp as they get. You need Bass in games to make you feel the rumble of a shot gun. To hear where the Tank is going. To hear your enemies fire on you..As a Co founder for one of the Premiere BF clans. I like to think I know what I am talking about when it comes to 3D positioning in game.. Go with something else.  There are so many headphones that does games better.. I can name 3 form the top of my head. In order.

Samson SR850,  Panasonic RP-600-S, Panasonic Rp-HTF-890.. All 3 are superior to the clownish AD700 in games and in music.  You can get both a Samson SR850 for the games and get a Panasonic HTF600-S.. For the price of one AD700.. Fact.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
http://www.shopaudiotechnica.com/detail/TCL+ATH-AD700

I was thinking about getting this for gaming? And attach a mic to it. But I was wondering since it's open, are people gonna hear it when i listen to music? 
Also, is there anything better around that price?

Heya,

Fischer Audio FA-011's are better in every way for the cost. $90 vs. $118. That's not a significant difference considering the quality difference. Fischer is simply way, way better. You may already be sold on the AD700's due to the internet's weight on that (bleh), but consider this a little voice on your shoulder saying, "There's so much better out there..." And the FA-011 is it in that regard. I'm talking from comfort and style to actual sound quality. All the "foot step listeners" can drop the bass a few dB if they need an anemic hallow sound. I implore you not to make the mistake of the AD700.

Very best,

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 24
As an owner of the AD700 (years before all the SR850 and FA-011 and other headphone hype came about; instead of spending $84, I could have just spent $50-65 with a bundled condenser mic and still have money left for better pads), I can comfortably say that it's exactly what everyone else says about it...well, except for the comparisons to other headphones I don't own. (I still might pick up some SR850s eventually, if only to verify the claims of their performance vs. AD700s and have a backup set in case anything happens to my Stax Lambda setup...and of course, a bundled C01 condenser mic for hardly any more than a standalone SR850.)

But as a gaming headphone, they're quite comfortable and perform well enough...if you're looking for competitive gaming performance and not an "immersive", "fun" sound with boomy bass. It's harder to EQ up than down due to clipping, so they suggest to get cans that are at least more balanced in frequency response and EQ the bass down if necessary. (The AD700 is certainly not balanced; if the bass being quieter wasn't bad enough to some listeners, the treble is noticeably louder, further accentuating the deficiency.)

There is much room for improvement on the music side of things, but if gaming is all you plan to do, I wouldn't spend much over the $120-150 mark, since that's well past the law of diminishing returns.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 24
I'd be interested in hearing the Fa-011 someday.  I tried the Dt990 600ohm and it wasn't my thing, but the Fa-011 sounds like it could be better.  I'm a one-headphone-only kind of guy, though, so the D5000s will be it for me until upgrade-itus hits me in a year or two

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 24
If the FA-011 is like the open D2000, it might be my headphone.  Comfort's a real big issue too, I don't see it besting the D2000 in comfort unless it's really special.  I think I will buy one though once I sell off my DT990.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 24
I have the AD700 and use a Fiio E7 with the bass boost all the way up.  The bass is still pretty light but they do sound amazing.  If you need bass these are definitely not the headphones for you.  I love them and they are my favorite pair of headphones right now but they really don't have much on the low end. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back