AD700?
Jan 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 24
For gaming, there's arguably nothing better around that price. Yes, due to the open design, people will hear what you are playing, and also, you will not get any isolation.

I have a few friends who use that setup and it works flawlessly.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
For gaming, there's arguably nothing better around that price. Yes, due to the open design, people will hear what you are playing, and also, you will not get any isolation.

I make your words mine also, X2

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 24
The A700 is a closed back headphone. You lose a lot of precision and soundstage, or how far away things sound/where they are coming from. Open is very important for gaming IMHO.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking, do I get these, or modded Senn. 558's? Also do I need an amp for gaming?

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 24
I'm kinda hesitant for open headphones because I hate people hearing what I listen to. It doesn't matter for gaming but for casual listening,it's annoying to know peoplle can hear what I hear. So..what are the differences with the A700? I know one, they look better. But are they better?

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking, do I get these, or modded Senn. 558's? Also do I need an amp for gaming?

The AD700's are pretty much the #1 suggestion for gaming on this site, as far as I can tell. They have a ridiculously large soundstage for gaming, which makes it sound like that sniper up on the ridge is REALLY up on the ridge. They are very precise, and offer great overall sound quality for music as well. No amp is required, but it could never hurt. If this is your first venture into real good headphones, you may just find them a bit lacking in bass. For the money I would say 9/10 Head-Fi'ers would suggest them over any other set.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
I'm kinda hesitant for open headphones because I hate people hearing what I listen to. It doesn't matter for gaming but for casual listening,it's annoying to know peoplle can hear what I hear. So..what are the differences with the A700? I know one, they look better. But are they better?

The AD700's are huge. I'm not sure I would ever consider them portable.... You could wear them out, but in a noisy environment it would certainly be difficult.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

I have both , personally I prefer the AD700, I find the A700 a bit constricting physically (perhaps an illusion caused by being closed) , the AD700 are a bit bass light and the A700 do have a bit more bass but are not bassy, the A700 have a fair amount of isolation, the AD700 none to speak of and can be a bit loose fitting, both are very big designs if that matters and both are easy to drive.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 24
You can also consider the HA RX900's. they are nice sounding, and you can make mods to improve soundstage. 

Regarding the A700's they are guys around who love them. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 24
Well I have M50s and they fit perfectly but they have a 45mm driver and the AD700s have a 53mm driver so would it be too big on my head? lol

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 24
Well the driver isn't what makes them so big. It's more just the seize of the housing. If you have a small head, you can use the rubber band mod. They are very comfy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back