AD700 First Impressions
Feb 27, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #46 of 176
Yeah that seems to be the interesting thing about the ADs. The higher models are improved in some areas, but seem to get more colored along the way. I wish there were more who've had both models and could comment on the differences between the two. I've read a few impressions where they said the AD900s were better in every way, and others who prefer the 700s due to less coloration.

What exactly is this coloration that you speak of though? How does it affect the sound?

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #47 of 176
This coloration I speak of sounds like the earcups are ringing inside because of resonance. As if the earcups are pushed hard toward the ears making the mids very strong compared to the rest of the spectrum. I think the reason for this is that the ad2000s have steel bars on top instead of the soft ones on the cheaper models making the clamp much tighter. With the senns, even though the clamp is tight, the cups don't have this weird midrange resonance. Maybe sennheiser knows what they are doing more than AT, I don't know but what I know for sure is that the ad700 has hit a homerun in my book and has managed to impress me more than the top open model, the ad2000!

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #48 of 176
hi, the impressions by kool bubba ice got me thinking about why i picked the AD900 over the AD700.

so using that as the base, comparison with the AD900 in [square parenthesis] below.

Music

Pros
good clarity, especially in the higher frequencies. [pretty similar with the AD900, except to my ears, they sound livelier. and the articulation of certain instruments like cymbals are more easily distinguishable.]
Remarkable front to back depth. [pretty similar with the AD900.]
Sound stage as a whole is big. [i found the sound stage wider than the AD700 and instrument separation seemed better to me on the AD900, in particular the placements of the various string sections in classical pieces.]
Nice imaging. [sounds pretty similar with the AD900.]

Cons
recessed mids. Not bad, but noticeable. [found the mids on the AD700 a bit muffled or veiled compared to the AD900.]
Bass is delicate and lacks authority. [have to agree that i had trouble feeling the bass on the AD700, on the AD900 the oomph of the tom toms and the oomph of the bass drum can be distinguished.]
Sound seems un natural to me. [sorry, not sure what he meant]
Sound stage is not very coherent.
A lot of smearing.
Lacks good detail retrieval

just to give the above comments its context, the comparison was done using a sony Hi-MD NH1 SP disc of Paul Desmond's Bossa Antigua and a disc of Mahler's 1st Symphony. unamped.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #49 of 176
I would also like to say that I just read the stereophile comments made by Sam Tellig on Sams space June 2008 comparing k701s with the ad700s. I don't agree with him saying the k701 is more extended in highs. Well he did say he wasn't that extended himself either. The k701s are brighter but more rolled off on top IMO. The ad700s like I said in my impressions have a relatively warm sound against the k701s because the lower highs are not emphasized like the k701s. The emphasis of the ad700 is above 10khz which is great for my tastes. They make cymbals shimmer but dont change their timbre like the k701s do.

heres the article...
Stereophile | Jun-08 | Inside | Zinio Digital Magazines

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #50 of 176
I think i'll bite on a pair later this year for $100. Better I spend $100 and see if I like the sound than spend much more and find out I don't like them. But then again, I don't want to buy a pair and then hear about the 900s being so much better and get curious about those.

Another question I have... Are these headphones more 'unrestrained' than the Sennheisers? Such as if a singer is really getting into the singing, the headphones let the singer 'dominate'? The "Sennheiser balance" is still agitating me. They get just about everything right except I'd like some more clarity from them and I'd like them to stop subduing things that should take prominence on songs like certain horns or the main vocalist. I've heard the AD700s headphones have excellent midrange, so it may be what I'm looking for.

I'm curious as you are about the comparison to the AD900s as you are, especially since they are approaching the range of being 3 times as expensive. I'll look for more impressions before I purchase anything.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #51 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, the impressions by kool bubba ice got me thinking about why i picked the AD900 over the AD700.

so using that as the base, comparison with the AD900 in [square parenthesis] below.

Music

Pros
good clarity, especially in the higher frequencies. [pretty similar with the AD900, except to my ears, they sound livelier. and the articulation of certain instruments like cymbals are more easily distinguishable.]
Remarkable front to back depth. [pretty similar with the AD900.]
Sound stage as a whole is big. [i found the sound stage wider than the AD700 and instrument separation seemed better to me on the AD900, in particular the placements of the various string sections in classical pieces.]
Nice imaging. [sounds pretty similar with the AD900.]

Cons
recessed mids. Not bad, but noticeable. [found the mids on the AD700 a bit muffled or veiled compared to the AD900.]
Bass is delicate and lacks authority. [have to agree that i had trouble feeling the bass on the AD700, on the AD900 the oomph of the tom toms and the oomph of the bass drum can be distinguished.]
Sound seems un natural to me. [sorry, not sure what he meant]
Sound stage is not very coherent.
A lot of smearing.
Lacks good detail retrieval

just to give the above comments its context, the comparison was done using a sony Hi-MD NH1 SP disc of Paul Desmond's Bossa Antigua and a disc of Mahler's 1st Symphony. unamped.

your impressions are making me think that the ad900 mids are approaching the ad2000 mids being that there is more of it. I find the ad700s mids perfect in amount after just a day of burn in

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #53 of 176
Oh by the way, those kool bubba ice impressions that I agreed with was from the first day listening with the ipod.... now, on my setup (dac/amp in my profile and written everywhere) the recessed mids are gone. I find the mids very natural as headphones go

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #54 of 176
I'm just curious, but what flaws did you find with the HD600s that caused them to be put in the closet? I know they were your favorite for a while. I remember you saying they sound somewhat veiled in comparison. Was there anything else?

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #55 of 176
donunus it's amazing you found your perfect headphone by stepping down the ladder. I doubt that happens very often. I'll be waiting for those AD2000 in the FS forum.
wink.gif

So many AD700 threads. Is it the official flavor of the month yet?

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #56 of 176
the hd600s are still nice (in case i crave for more bass) but these ad700s sound very refreshing. Ive long been looking for clear sounding cans that didn't sound too colored. I don't even look for all the technicalities of articulation in the bass, etc... but for some reason headphones havent given me that til now... (this is like finding my holy grail in a cheap can without all the extra technical abilities) I have usually been using grados whenever I want something more energetic but I believe my sr60s wont be used for a while either. They dont even touch the clarity of these. I'm still interested to hear the hd800 and the ps1000 but I believe I am done with the brand tasting... especially after the latest ultrasone dissapointment I just got
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #57 of 176
coredump,
The ad2000s are long gone. My comparisons on this thread are from my memory of what put me off the ad2000s and how much i loved the hd600s over them when I compared them. Now, the hd600s are sounding muffled against these
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

edit: the hd600s were less muffled than the ad2000s when comparing them directly before but the bass was more articulate on the ad2000s. Now when i listen to hd600s from the ad700s they are just totally dull and the ear needs some readjustment

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #58 of 176
Oh I wont be looking for those. I already got a pair of muffled HD650s in my desk drawer.

I'd like to know your impressions after a few weeks of listening. I always enjoy my AD900s especially for vocals but after a while they feel a bit thin.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #59 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your impressions are making me think that the ad900 mids are approaching the ad2000 mids being that there is more of it. I find the ad700s mids perfect in amount after just a day of burn in

When I compared the AD700 to AD900, I would say AD900 mid is just like AD700s with more refinement. The only different I could hear was upper-mid in AD900 was slightly more bright, the treb was also more sparkle.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #60 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I compared the AD700 to AD900, I would say AD900 mid is just like AD700s with more refinement. The only different I could hear was upper-mid in AD900 was slightly more bright, the treb was also more sparkle.

So would you say it is better to just save the $170 and go for the AD700s instead of 900s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back