AD700 First Impressions
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #16 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As good as they are, I find my modded 650/SA5000/48 to be a step above it. And I prefer the 595s for music over the AD700. I find it hard to believe that you wont find another headphone on this planet that you like better then the AD700. How many headphones in the under and over a grand have you tried or owned?

Just the ones listed in my sig.

I will never spend any more than a grand on headphones. In fact I dont think I'd ever spend over $500USD on one pair. There's probably better headphones out there but I've given up on finding them because I'm not willing to put in the amount of money that it would require.

And I'm perfectly happy with the AD700's.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #17 of 176
Perfectly happy until you go to your first meet
wink.gif

Careful with the absolutes, they have a tendency to reverse themselves.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #19 of 176
fraseyboy,
Talking about lambdas, I just recently had some stax 202s which were probably more behaved cans than the ad700 but these are much more thrilling and fun for me
biggrin.gif

kevm2,
You were asking if these were clearer than hd600s. In a way... yes because of the lack of the soft cottony sennheiser texture which some people call a veil and the sparklier highs. The hd600 is a step above in clarity though when you talk about being well behaved when a barrage of instruments are playing at the same time. Notes are more well defined on the senns but these are so much fun right now that I don't really care that much. Its a great honeymoon period that I hope will last. Did I say Value!

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #20 of 176
SR202s are great. I heard them at a meet and they nearly got me to bite, but I managed to fend them off. I heard them with a SRM313 amp. They aren't really that expensive either. I think the combo of SR202 and SRM313 was something like $500.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #21 of 176
I'll consider picking up a pair in a couple of months. Right now, I have the Denons still supposed to be on the way (D7000s) and I swung for a pair of the Grado SR80s. At least we have a common reference point in the HD600s with Equinox cables. I'll post some impressions when I get the other headphones.

Yeah, I think I'm looking for more 'fun' headphones to complement the HD600 than anything.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #22 of 176
unless you really have to have the bass all the time, the ad700s are super fun! bassier than grado sr60s using bowls thats for sure but sounds way better IMO

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #23 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Therefore, to remain perfectly happy, do not go to a meet.

That should be pretty easy being where I am
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fraseyboy,
Talking about lambdas, I just recently had some stax 202s which were probably more behaved cans than the ad700 but these are much more thrilling and fun for me
biggrin.gif

More behaved? I thought electrostats were famous for their insane amounts of energy and speed :O

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #25 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More behaved? I thought electrostats were famous for their insane amounts of energy and speed :O

technically they have more speed than dynamics yes but speed does not mean it will be more exciting. Tonal balance is really the number one thing along with punch that contributes to excitement which the stax loses to some dynamics with(ex the ad700s). they will respond to the signal when given it but they wont give it to you in a bright or punchy fashion is all i'm saying. The staxes are civilized even though the mids arent all that refined in its tonality. They are fun cans but these ad700s are funner for me.

NOTE: Since you did a review of the k701s, let me just say to you that for me these are more realistic sounding than those for example even given that those cans are technically better in bass articulation ... ermmm wait. I think thats about all I care about that I think that the k701s are better in. Even treble extension is better on these. It wont really matter to the aged though if they cannot hear the extended treble. Because of that annoying low treble peak of the k701s, I couldn't stand them. I'm wondering if you feel the same way since ive been in the k701 threads bashing them lately for that reason. I know you had k701s with more than 500 hours of burn in so your opinion counts a lot for me

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #26 of 176
I must say that stats are always being seen as 1 headphone, which offcourse is ridiculous. The 202 and 404 sounded really boring compared to the LNS I have now. The LNS should be more 'lineair and balanced' than either of them, but the sound is just so organic, lively, musical. It has instantly become my NR1 headphone, only to be switched with my RS1 for different kinds of music
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #29 of 176
I just got my ad700! In less than 48 hours from ordering from Amazon, I am wearing my AD700 and let me tell you, I'm quite impressed.

The cymbals sound much livelier and more shimmery than I remember in my favorite tracks. The vocals are smooth. The soundstage makes me feel as though I'm in the music rather than listening to it. These are definetely worth $100!

(I'm skipping class right now to give them a proper listen.)

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #30 of 176
All this talk of upgrades - and no mention on the AD900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back