Acoustic Research AR-H1 Planar Impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 4, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #213 of 383
You might still like them, you never know.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #214 of 383
Not much info in this review. Was the headset broken in, what material was it associated to? He basically says he does not like the sound pointing some emphasis between 8-10k and recessed mids. Some comfort issues. Not very useful. But still it has the effect of making me doubt i did a good move ordering a set. Really don't like it.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #215 of 383
Not much info in this review. Was the headset broken in, what material was it associated to? He basically says he does not like the sound pointing some emphasis between 8-10k and recessed mids. Some comfort issues. Not very useful. But still it has the effect of making me doubt i did a good move ordering a set. Really don't like it.
The gist of it is this: "Five years ago the AR-H1 would have been a pretty good headphone...today, not so much."
The AR-H1 was my first planar and I really liked it. But there's simply better stuff out there. So your life probably won't be horrible with them, but without necessarily spending more, it could be better.
I have the Ether Flow now and don't miss the AR-H1 at all. I'll spare you guesses about how it would be with other headphones in more comparable price ranges.
But what I can say is that in this price category, I would now go for the Sennheiser HD660S. It's the more well rounded offering, and cheaper. It's not planar magnetic, of course, so it's a different sound. I didn't like the ÆON's somewhat recessed mids (and with the one notch pads, found them to be unbearably muffled). Both are, however, short term impressions compared to my time with the AR-H1 and Ether Flow.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #217 of 383
Ah Tyler strikes again!

TBH I haven't taken him seriously after the whole ether c flow debacle and his zmf reviews.
For me since taking down the Ether Flow in favor of the ÆON Flow Open. I don't get that.
But I give him credit for calling his beloved ÆON "kind of a muffled sounding headphone a little bit" at 7:05 (yay for YouTube transscripts making that bit easier to find!).

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #218 of 383
The gist of it is this: "Five years ago the AR-H1 would have been a pretty good headphone...today, not so much."
See, I don't get that. If a headphone sounds good, doesn't matter when it came out. HD600 came out in '97 and it still sounds great. And if it's colored and uneven, don't matter the year either. Headphones have gotten more expensive but how much more of our music are we really hearing with them?

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #219 of 383
Ah Tyler strikes again!

TBH I haven't taken him seriously after the whole ether c flow debacle and his zmf reviews.
I think it was the Z1R review that really had people scratching their heads.

(up late should be arriving here momentarily...)

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #221 of 383
Just knowing Tyll's preferences, I thought he wouldn't like them.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #222 of 383
I actually agree with some of Tyll's points. I mentioned a few of them in my review.
  • The piercing or aspect of the treble
  • The hollowness created by the midrange dip which effects the soundstage and makes it sound bigger than it is
  • The bass needing a bit more presence.
Where I disagree
  • The performance is dated
  • The AFO has better soundstage
  • The bass is focused by his measures. I think this disagreement though is because my test tracks have EDM in them as well as more sub bass and I have a lot more picky there, especially as of recently.
  • No comment on its resolving abilities and detail perception.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #223 of 383
Headphones have gotten more expensive but how much more of our music are we really hearing with them?
Based on my limited time with the HD650: a lot! Never heard the HD600, though, so can't comment on that.

I actually agree with some of Tyll's points. I mentioned a few of them in my review.
  • The hollowness created by the midrange dip which effects the soundstage and makes it sound bigger than it is
Yes! I never noticed that when listening to it by itself, but in comparison to other headphones, it sounds hollow indeed.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #224 of 383
Just knowing Tyll's preferences, I thought he wouldn't like them.

The sad part is his "preferences" will negatively impact potential buyers with they're own preferences. This is generally why I prefer getting different impressions/reviews from a collective audience than just listen to just one person for a final judgement...

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #225 of 383
Acoustic Research AR-H1 review
arh1-1-of-1-3.jpg
Although I pointed out what I felt was wrong with Tylls infamous Eikon review,
I still like Tylls videos for interest I guess I just used to the guy he is fun to watch as well as Zreviews...

but YOU ARE THE BEST..
Your reviews are ALWAYS on point, clear and concise.
I can really get a feel of the headphone when I read your reviews.
Keep up the great work!
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back