A question for the BASSHEADS on Head-Fi
Apr 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 39
O project86 reviewed these? Very nice.  This guy finds all kinds of excellent gear where everyone else would tend to ignore. I got the Anedio D1 from his review thread and I have to definitely trust his reviews.  He says he gets better bass boost than he ever did even using the Cowon S9. I think we have a real competitor here guys...

May 18, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #17 of 39
I like the Zo.  Everything else I own sounds thin and tinny in comparison.
I don't know how they do it.
Be advised though that it affects all the frequencies with varying results but they are mostly positive.
The thing is addicting as heck so be warned.

May 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #18 of 39
If you want a cheap solution, put up a "WTB: Audigy 2 ZS / Audigy 4 soundcard" here in this forums and pay ~$15, install kX Audio drivers and witness the power of the hardware DSP 10-band EQ and be blown away how great it works, you can even as much as use several EQ instances at the same time if one EQ with +/-12 limit isn't enough and add up to a total boost of like +36dB to any of the 31, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz and 16kHz bands and yet it won't clip/distort and yet the volume gets louder! (there's a certain limit obviously as all soundcards face sooner or later when it would start distorting when volume gets too high) Try find another EQ with this capability, it can bring any basslean headphone to bassheavy headphone and it doesn't color the sound like EQs like iTunes would, it just sounds like a "natural" extension of the headphone's own sound that simply gets louder/or more silent.

Believe it or not but setting like this sounds really great on XB500 using this EQ if you like strong bass that is, it's bass that's obviously strong and plays like a small subwoofer but everything else comes out nicely as well and sounds more "forward" when I boost the whole range which is a characteristic that I'm personally enjoying and why I tend to boost the whole range for starters on my headphones before finding out which frequencies needs to be higher or lower (if you reduce the frequencies instead it'll start sounding a little more laid-back):

And I prefer to use that setting most of the time even compared to this minimalistic EQ setting below which brings better balance for the XB500 (the other setting also does sound better balanced despite increased bass compared to completely unEQ'd setting because you can hear all fine details more clearly as it doesn't sound muffled like it kinda sounds like unEQ'd due to overpowering upper bass as well as veiled highs):

It's this capability of boosting the frequencies without getting distortion why I love this equalizer so much and can make headphones sound more forward, which means both more fun and enjoyable for my taste. No other EQs have allowed me to do this without ruining the sound.

May 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 39
I had the Xonar Essence ST sound card and the Beyer DT 990 Pro - let me tell you the bass was emphatic!! In fact I'd consider myself more a basshead than not but it was too much bass (and everything) even for me....

May 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #20 of 39
Denon D2K + FiiO E7/E9 combo = One happy basshead here.

:L3000:

Looking forward to trying the XB1000s too.

May 19, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 39
For your edification :

http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/

Personally, I wasnt a fan of the coloration on the lone pair of Ultrasones I have owned, but if its truly 'seismic' bass you are seeking, have at it. Plug these into the Digizoid and report back, if you can still type after the experience.  :wink:

May 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #22 of 39
Cause they're too big to be portable :). At least for me. Settled for M50s (I THINK they're smaller, but anyways, rather get M50s + E5 amp than spend 300~400 for portable headphones).

May 20, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 39
Anyone using that combination on a bus or train is likely to be quivering in sync with the music - hardly the ideal passenger on the 5:15 peak hour commute back to Sleepytown.  :wink:

Besides, bass like that would have me wanting quick access to, ahem, facilities. They dont refer to it as 'rumbling' bass for nothing.

May 21, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #26 of 39
This ZO device sounds like it would bring similar results as I get playing around with this hardware EQ I use. The technique is very similar, using hardware EQing to raise pretty much the whole frequency range (bass is raised even a little higher which I also do so it's like very spot-on to what I do as well) but in this case they have a preconfigured external device doing it. If it does bring similar results I'm sure lots of people would enjoy it. The main difference occurs in the presentation, the sound gets more forward/"in-your-face" sounding, there's a demo vid which sorta tries to simulate it, ofc it's not possible to give the exact experience but it reminds me quite a lot of turning on/off my EQ settings. Everything gets "stronger"/more forward, not just bass. I admit they are talking a lot of mumbo-jumbo on their site though and trying to explain it in words like it would be a magical device doing all sort of fancy stuff to the sound while it's basicly simple hardware EQing they're using and trying to cover that up with tech mumbo-jumbo talk. This page says it all though with no text required http://www.digizoid.com/media/

Don't get me wrong though, I really like the result of this sound you get, so if it works/sounds like I think it does I'd find it a very neat device that pretty much every1 could enjoy and aren't limited to specific soundcard/DACs etc. as sources to be able to achieve this kind of sound. If you like forward/engaging/"in-your-face" sound then you'd love this thing.

What I don't yet quite understand though, how can boosting the whole range bring difference compared to simply raising the volume slider? I've compared this numerous of times and it just doesn't sound the same if boosting the volume as boosting the whole frequency range on my hardware EQ. 

BTW, what does it cost? Couldn't find any buy links on their site. EDIT: ok I found it, $120, a bit expensive for what it does IMO but the result what you'll hear in the sound is well worth $120 though, for example I think my XB500 starts sounding more like ~$200 headphone rather than $50 headphone with applied EQ-settings. This is not such small difference that most amps provide (depending on headphone etc obviously), it should be a very audible difference similar to enabling BBE on Cowon players.

wind016> would be awesome if you could try it out as I think you would based on your opinions regarding Cowon player enhancement options and the way you EQ. I'm positive this is the best technique to enhance the bass without ruining the overall sound as you get "more of everything", details in mids and highs also pops out more clearly so it's not only a gain for a basshead. I believe you'd be the right person to review this thing. I could do it as well but I live in europe so it's a bit hazzle as I'm not sure the shops ships to Finland and I already got experience of the "effect" and think it would be more interesting for some1 else to hear.

May 24, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
This ZO device sounds like it would bring similar results as I get playing around with this hardware EQ I use. The technique is very similar, using hardware EQing to raise pretty much the whole frequency range (bass is raised even a little higher which I also do so it's like very spot-on to what I do as well) but in this case they have a preconfigured external device doing it. If it does bring similar results I'm sure lots of people would enjoy it. The main difference occurs in the presentation, the sound gets more forward/"in-your-face" sounding, there's a demo vid which sorta tries to simulate it, ofc it's not possible to give the exact experience but it reminds me quite a lot of turning on/off my EQ settings. Everything gets "stronger"/more forward, not just bass. I admit they are talking a lot of mumbo-jumbo on their site though and trying to explain it in words like it would be a magical device doing all sort of fancy stuff to the sound while it's basicly simple hardware EQing they're using and trying to cover that up with tech mumbo-jumbo talk. This page says it all though with no text required http://www.digizoid.com/media/

Don't get me wrong though, I really like the result of this sound you get, so if it works/sounds like I think it does I'd find it a very neat device that pretty much every1 could enjoy and aren't limited to specific soundcard/DACs etc. as sources to be able to achieve this kind of sound. If you like forward/engaging/"in-your-face" sound then you'd love this thing.

What I don't yet quite understand though, how can boosting the whole range bring difference compared to simply raising the volume slider? I've compared this numerous of times and it just doesn't sound the same if boosting the volume as boosting the whole frequency range on my hardware EQ. 

BTW, what does it cost? Couldn't find any buy links on their site. EDIT: ok I found it, $120, a bit expensive for what it does IMO but the result what you'll hear in the sound is well worth $120 though, for example I think my XB500 starts sounding more like ~$200 headphone rather than $50 headphone with applied EQ-settings. This is not such small difference that most amps provide (depending on headphone etc obviously), it should be a very audible difference similar to enabling BBE on Cowon players.

wind016> would be awesome if you could try it out as I think you would based on your opinions regarding Cowon player enhancement options and the way you EQ. I'm positive this is the best technique to enhance the bass without ruining the overall sound as you get "more of everything", details in mids and highs also pops out more clearly so it's not only a gain for a basshead. I believe you'd be the right person to review this thing. I could do it as well but I live in europe so it's a bit hazzle as I'm not sure the shops ships to Finland and I already got experience of the "effect" and think it would be more interesting for some1 else to hear.

The device is definitely on my list to check out. It's not on the top, but maybe eventually.

May 24, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #28 of 39
I put my dt 770s through a pioneer dj mixer, I eq it with a three channel eq, and crank it. I turn the bass knob to about 2 o'clock. 100hz up about 5 db. best sound experience I've had yet with headphones.

May 24, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #29 of 39
If the ZO costs $120, I am willing to bet thats a fraction of the money many bassheads here have spent on phones and amps trying to get that elusive 'bass slam'. I still think it starts with the phones - get that right and you are more than halfway there.

May 24, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #30 of 39

Quote:
If the ZO costs $120, I am willing to bet thats a fraction of the money many bassheads here have spent on phones and amps trying to get that elusive 'bass slam'. I still think it starts with the phones - get that right and you are more than halfway there.

I just received my last Friday and honestly the best thing when it comes to adding quality bass just don't max it out.  The ath ad700 is by no means a bass monster which many/most will agree with.  Within 4-8 clicks I was able to add that nice thump with the ad700 that I actually enjoy using it with music with moderate/light bass while retaining that soundstage/open air feeling.

Now when I use it with the m50....1-4 clicks is really all I need to enjoy some dubstep!!!

Edit:

Also can be purchased for $99 and below from proper dealers while looking for some coupons >=D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back