A little more bass for a grado lover
Aug 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lozanoa11

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Grado Sr325's and they are great! Except I find the jumbo pads much more comfortable and in doing so I think I am over driving them and have blow drivers twice now. 

This is very frustrating. My only gripe with them is I would like a little more bass but not a lot more. Closed or open I do not have a ton of preference over but I would like some sound stage. Comfort is also important as I listen for hours at a time sometimes. 
I was thinking the Denon D5000 but worry there will be too much bass. Also concidering the HD650 or HD600 but worry it will be too dark. Or even the ATH-AD2000 but I don't know much about them.

I listen to mostly rock: Classic and prog rock, Post-Rock, Ska, my last.fm is here: http://www.last.fm/user/lozanoa11

Looking to spend around $400 Used or New but most likely used.
And advice would be great. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 10
A Little Flexible on price. Would consider Beyers or something else. also but I know nothing about them

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Aug 26, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 10
how bout buying a legitimate amplifier for the Grado? more power will give you much more bass impact that you may feel you are missing. The D10 will do no good. i dont know about the Bravo though. Compared to my previous SR 325i on my D10, on a Music Hall PH25.2 hybrid amp (from a store nearby) the difference was pretty big. Much more bass impact and the highs were not as shrill. Rock sounded much better on the headphones.

I'm sure the music hall may not be the best amp and others may offer better options.

BTW, I love my AD2000s. Mids are emphasized in a way that is voiced for jazz, acoustic, and pop. Vocals are very up front and intimate. The bass is tight and impactful. For rock, it lacks the bass impact that I'd like for rock and the extreme treble of the Grado.

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 10
The problem is I have a blown drive again and do not want to have them repaired again. My xonar essence XT has more than enough power for them. I use the Jumbo pads b/c they are much more comfortable than any other pads on grados and in doing so I have to turn the volume up, and I think doing this is why I blew them. Also It introduces distortion at the high volume levels. So I want some thing else. I'm kinda interested in the D5000 right now. But not sure how well they do with rock.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Sounds like the Xonar does not have enough headroom to drive the SR325s, if you've blown the drivers out twice already. Clipping can (and will) destroy headphones. A proper amp will provide heaps and heaps of available voltage and current to prevent clipping, moreso than the Xonar can. Just food for thought.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 10
[size=x-small]SR325i/MS2i with Jumbos does not mix - not stock at least.[/size]

[size=x-small]As Nickchen suggests - get them open and punch through some of the holes between the air chamber and driver, line the air chamber with felt - you might solve the puzzle.[/size]

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Ok I appreciate your help and all. But I want to buy different Headphones. And would like suggestions for a good Rock headphone with a little more bass than my Grados had. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Out of the ones you mentioned, and your desire for bass, I would recommend the HD650.

Here is a freq chart comparing the mentioned phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back