$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,681 of 6,550

Oh, let's see.

Cuts off a part of the beginning of every track.

Sound tick noise in Gapless during track play. (at least we pretty much have Gapless finally)

Very slow interface and boot up time.

Also, a soft "tick tick tick tick" noise in the left channel with some IEM's.  But that might just be an issue with mine.

I experienced the first and last issue only. They are not related to UI. boot up time is reasonable for me. If I consider the SQ I get from this DAP, these issues become trivial. IMHO

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,682 of 6,550

I experienced the first and last issue only. They are not related to UI. boot up time is reasonable for me. If I consider the SQ I get from this DAP, these issues become trivial. IMHO

Boot up time is painfully slow compared to it's predecessor, the HM-801.  Only reason I'm annoyed by it.

But yeah, the HM-901 has better sound quality than the HM-801, so I put up with it.  It'll take some time, but hopefully Fang will have the kinks worked out. 

We'll see how the Calyx M does out of the gate.  The interface looks a bit laggy, with a couple of screen presses not registering well in the videos I've seen so far.  The AK240 was very smooth and responsive.  But again, a lot will be forgiveable at the start given the Calyx M being a LOT cheaper than the AK240.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,683 of 6,550
Food, maybe...

but I don't know of a Thai, Vietnamese or Taiwanese DAP that can compete with the Koreans :blink:

Given the very strong semiconductor and electronic component industry in Taiwan, I am curious to see an entry from the Taiwanese down the road....

Re the pre-order, I think they can at least post more real life (non rendered) photos of a close to production quality unit so we have an brief idea about the finishing and built quality etc....

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #1,686 of 6,550
Except that Calyx M will not be offering EQs because Calyx claims that EQing is just going to degrade the audio SQ. So we will not be having EQ feature in M.

oh ok. Thx for pointing that out.

But there shd be 5 customs and a flat eq (no presets required) as a minimum,IMO.its good that what calyx think about mis-aligning freqs with wrong hands eventually kills the sq BUT really a listener/user who paid almost close to GRAND to own this dap,will be a that kind of dumb? Flexibility and ability to shape the sound to suit different IEM /HP combinations is what I see to be able to use custom eq. And I switch to Flat/eq. Off when my ears or phones dont need them.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,689 of 6,550
No EQ is a deal killer for me. Some phones require EQ to fix frequency response issues they have. I prefer to own stuff that doesn't require EQ but is sometimes unavoidable. That would render those phones unusable on the M, regardless of M SQ.

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,691 of 6,550
No EQ is a deal killer for me. Some phones require EQ to fix frequency response issues they have. I prefer to own stuff that doesn't require EQ but is sometimes unavoidable. That would render those phones unusable on the M, regardless of M SQ.

A bit surprised by this. I have played with EQ in Rockbox (which does it right) and played and played... I always end up abandoning it for the flat (well, original) FR.

I take headphones the way they are. They aren't all the same - which is why I own more than one.

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,692 of 6,550
A bit surprised by this. I have played with EQ in Rockbox (which does it right) and played and played... I always end up abandoning it for the flat (well, original) FR.

I take headphones the way they are. They aren't all the same - which is why I own more than one.

Oh I have many more than one!

An excellent example is an upper mid and treble issue that can be annoying or even painful on an otherwise great phone. A couple db's cut and you have increased your musical enjoyment/satisfaction. Or perhaps the phone is a little bloated in bass and a small db cut gives you a superb performing phone.

I have a couple in my possession now that I correct via eq and receive a much more satisfactory SQ and experience b/c of it. I just can't invest in a dap that requires me to use another for particular phones. That's one factor in why I let the Tera player go. I consider it a limiting factor to the M. To me EQ can only make it more interesting to own, not less but I completely get there are many that won't care if it has EQ or not.

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,693 of 6,550
For a few of us no LO, no Coax out or no EQ is going to be a deal breaker. I admit that I thought about it quite a bit but because I rarely use those except for LO if the amp section is not as its best, I still find it a go. It's definitively something to think about. Couple of things I am definitely worried about are the warranty because of durability and suceptibility to failure and the SQ because we have no point of reference yet.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,694 of 6,550
.,,,I don't see how the screen could possibly be construed as a negative. It's the foundation of the M:use interface. Just proof that it is possible to complain about anything.

Agree. The Big screen is a plus for me. It allow to have a better UI.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,695 of 6,550
The big screen is... neutral, for me.

A good UI is a good UI, and this can be achieved in different ways. For example, I still love the speed of the old iPod Classic scrollwheel UI, even though the screen had no touch capability, relatively poor resolution, and the whole set-up was pretty vintage in terms of technology. (note, I'm not discussing SQ, here, just UI).

Equally, I rather like the much-maligned touchscreen interface of the humble Cowon J3. It does what it says on the tin (I admit the dynamic playlist capability leaves something to be desired, but still, overall, the J3 UI gets the job done rather well).

So, even though I'm enthusiastic about how polished and capable the M:Use UI appears to be, I really don't mind whether a DAP has a large screen, and/or touch-screen capability, and neither do I object to a small screen, just so long as the net result of the UI design is very usable and efficient, and, of course, as long as the DAP also fulfills its primary purpose of sounding bloody good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back