$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,697 of 6,550
  The big screen is... neutral, for me.

A good UI is a good UI, and this can be achieved in different ways. For example, I still love the speed of the old iPod Classic scrollwheel UI, even though the screen had no touch capability, relatively poor resolution, and the whole set-up was pretty vintage in terms of technology. (note, I'm not discussing SQ, here, just UI).

Equally, I rather like the much-maligned touchscreen interface of the humble Cowon J3. It does what it says on the tin (I admit the dynamic playlist capability leaves something to be desired, but still, overall, the J3 UI gets the job done rather well).

So, even though I'm enthusiastic about how polished and capable the M:Use UI appears to be, I really don't mind whether a DAP has a large screen, and/or touch-screen capability, and neither do I object to a small screen, just so long as the net result of the UI design is very usable and efficient, and, of course, as long as the DAP also fulfills its primary purpose of sounding bloody good.

I agree, while a well designed touch screen UI is nice, I want to keep things simple just the basic function of playing back music and finding the files you need to playback quickly and efficiently. The iPod classic UI is more than enough. If I want to be doing something else other than the basic function, I might as well be doing that already on a smart phone or tablet.

The modern smartphone and tablet is already doing an excellent job of consolidating many device/gadgets into 1 form factor. The only reason I'm getting a separate DAP is because I'm an enthusiast and puts a high premium on SQ and features only related to improving music playback.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,698 of 6,550
The CEO of Calyx recently posted this on the Calyx M FB page:

Seungmok Yi Calyx M 을 만들면서: 아는 분들 포함 많은 분들께서 예약판매에 동참해주셨는데. 모바일 혹은 포터블 기기라서 헤드폰/이어폰을 사용해서 감상하려는 분들이거나 혹은 그런 용도로만 사용하시는 분들이 많을 것으로 보입니다 하지만 M은 단지 그런 목표로만 만든 것이 아니라, 기존의 음악소스기기를 대체할 수 있는 수준으로 만들었습니다. 앰프와 스피커를 연결해서 공간 전체에 음악이 떠오르는 경험을 권합니다. 실제로 현장에서의 음악을 우리는 헤드폰으로 듣지 않습니다.. 음악의 직접적인 경험. 음악과의 연결. M이 추구하는 바입니다.

Can someone who understands Korean translate this? (google translate version doesn't make much sense)

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,700 of 6,550
In the meantime I checked their FB page and noticed their attitude against people who says this is not fair to the international customers. It pushed me even further away than their slider fetish.

Let's see how this device will end up. If everything goes perfect, I have no problem paying the full price but I still think that pre order discount game was pretty much B$ to the international customers.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,702 of 6,550
I remember back then when they were standing firm about the 3.3ohm output impedance even though a lot has commented that it was bad decision for a DAP. Maybe Calyx would give up on this one as well and offer a better pre-order price :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,704 of 6,550

We begged them for digital and line out and didn't get that, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Well between adding a LO and a better pre-order price, the latter is the easiest to do and doesn't require design changes. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,707 of 6,550
I don't think they'll revise their promotional price for us international customers. I got a very clear message that they won't offer the Korean promotional deal. Here were their answer "Forget about korean price". I guess it can't be any clearer than that.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,708 of 6,550
Well between adding a LO and a better pre-order price, the latter is the easiest to do and doesn't require design changes.  :tongue_smile:

Yes but rapidly you will Forget the price you Paid while NO digital-out is a permanent Disavantage :)

Many Hugo ( and High-End desktop DAC) Will have loved to mary a M !

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,709 of 6,550

True, but the attitude and tone in which Calyx has been responding towards its potential customers on FB has been appalling, which doesn't bode too well for a better pre-order price. =/

Well, one should always try to remember that there are 2 sides to every situation...

On the one hand, I can understand that it may be frustrating for Calyx, to feel like they are, perhaps, being held-to-ransom by fickle international customers trying to set their own price. That might partially explain the blunt replies on FB.

On the other hand, though, this current situation is one that has been created by Calyx themselves, who have deliberately excluded international customers from the initial promotion, even though it is international customers who will be

1. taking the greatest risk on a 1st-time-DAP (if warranty issues require return-to-base in Korea)
  2. having to pay additional shipping and additional customs taxes

It's an unhappy situation all-round, really, but one that would best be resolved in a diplomatic manner.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,710 of 6,550
I see nothing wrong with Calyx's offer. I'm sure they gave early local adopters a deal so they could beta the units. They should get a better offer due to the added risk and the possibility of exchange etc. The deal they now offered was the equivalent to the home market promotion now that they've passed the beta phase. Their responses seem a bit gruff but I'd be curious to hear if a Korean would feel the same if responded in their native tongue.

I look at this way. If they never offered it for $650 to first batch buyers, would I be happy to save $150-$200?

Perhaps they'll offer it again at $800 with warranty and shipping. That wouldn't disrupt the local market and perhaps sweeten the pie enough for other to jump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back