$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,711 of 6,550
For a few of us no LO, no Coax out or no EQ is going to be a deal breaker. I admit that I thought about it quite a bit but because I rarely use those except for LO if the amp section is not as its best, I still find it a go. It's definitively something to think about. Couple of things I am definitely worried about are the warranty because of durability and suceptibility to failure and the SQ because we have no point of reference yet.

I was thinking about this DAP, but for me, no line out and no coax out is a dead end as I like to use my fi.Q at home and like the option of using something like the Hugo or whatever else comes down the pike. It is too easy these days to have digital out via a coax or optical and a line out is also nice. I imagine it is pretty crowded inside the Calyx M but but that isn't my problem. Now days, I think having a digital and LO is a minimum and especially at the final price of a 1000 dollars. After all, there are players costing near 200$ that have it. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,712 of 6,550
  I was thinking about this DAP, but for me, no line out and no coax out is a dead end as I like to use my fi.Q at home and like the option of using something like the Hugo or whatever else comes down the pike. It is too easy these days to have digital out via a coax or optical and a line out is also nice. I imagine it is pretty crowded inside the Calyx M but but that isn't my problem. Now days, I think having a digital and LO is a minimum and especially at the final price of a 1000 dollars. After all, there are players costing near 200$ that have it. 

Precisely, and in the end, Calyx's arrogance will only hurt them.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,713 of 6,550
From they way they replied to our posts on the international pre-order price, I'm starting to get a bad vibe that they are another iRiver in the making.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,715 of 6,550
  Agreed.  I was seriously considering the Calyx M.  After these interactions I'm going with fiio X5 and the X1 and X7 when they release.  Might even consider ibasso's replacement to Dx100.

I have to laugh at the extent of the pile on reactions. They really have not been all that arrogant. I guess sound quality isn't the top priority when feelings get bruised.

Calyx made a mistake though. And if they pay for it, well such is life.

Moral of story: If you are going to present a unified Facebook marketing engine to the world, don't give a sweetheart deal to the locals and a massively less attractive offer to everyone else. Surprise, surprise, you just might create a PR mess - and at least in the short run, Calyx has.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,716 of 6,550

I have to laugh at the extent of the pile on reactions. They really have not been all that arrogant. I guess sound quality isn't the top priority when feelings get bruised.

Calyx made a mistake though. And if they pay for it, well such is life.

Moral of story: If you are going to present a unified Facebook marketing engine to the world, don't give a sweetheart deal to the locals and a massively less attractive offer to everyone else. Surprise, surprise, you just might create a PR mess - and at least in the short run, Calyx has.

Yeah, not too long ago, people were excited waiting for the pre-order. But now everything turned negative. It really is a mess. They should hire a better PR Manager. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,717 of 6,550

Not for me personally as I only expect a portable to be that and don't want to carry an additional piece. I can understand the LO desire for some with difficult loads but if the amp stage is good enough the difference between it and the HO as LO may be moot. If so and the DAC stage as good as claimed, they may feel dig out redundant. After all, SPdif and usb interfaces aren't perfect so the onboard DAC has a built in 
wink_face.gif
 clock and jitter advantage, in theory.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #1,718 of 6,550
They are going about this in a Tera-esque way, except instead of no UI, it's no LO. It's their product and I suppose they have every right to be as stubborn about its design as they like, even if it turns into a what-could-have-been piece of crap. Maybe the local market doesn't care about having a LO - I don't know if there's a different set of nutty audiophile preferences over there or not...Anyways, they will definitely lose sales, but there is a chance that they simply don't care.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,719 of 6,550
  Not for me personally as I only expect a portable to be that and don't want to carry an additional piece. I can understand the LO desire for some with difficult loads but if the amp stage is good enough the difference between it and the HO as LO may be moot. If so and the DAC stage as good as claimed, they may feel dig out redundant. After all, SPdif and usb interfaces aren't perfect so the onboard DAC has a built in 
wink_face.gif

Wait, people are still pining about the lack of a "line-out" ? Why? The headphone-out is basically a low output impedance line driver that is digitally attenuated via the DAC, and that it's 1.25 Vrms rather than 2 Vrms. Is that such a problem?

The lack of a SPDIF out is probably strategic, as it takes up additional real estate and requires additional board programming via either an FPGA or ASIC to disable clock muxing to sample rates and depths higher than 24/192. They could just do a straight digital pass-through with minimal effort, but then there'd be no clock jitter reduction.

I guess you're not the one I should be asking though? haha

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,720 of 6,550
Still have to clock/stream it unless you're simply using it as storage and I hate to see more than one dig path unless switched. Like you said, more real estate. No DAP is perfect for everyone but there may be a method to their supposed madness. No EQ , with associated buffers etc, and the lack of these items is a very purist approach that actually appeals to me though I totally understand why it wouldn't to others.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,721 of 6,550
  Still have to clock/stream it unless you're simply using it as storage and I hate to see more than one dig path unless switched. Like you said, more real estate. No DAP is perfect for everyone but there may be a method to their supposed madness. No EQ , with associated buffers etc, and the lack of these items is a very purist approach that actually appeals to me though I totally understand why it wouldn't to others.

I also do not mind their approach of not including an EQ... I never use it anyway...

I am very interested to see what they are going to do with the international pre-orders since they haven't posted the new link/terms.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,722 of 6,550
I also do not mind their approach of not including an EQ... I never use it anyway....

With my RWAK100, I also never use it's EQ, but... Often i use it's digital out to connect it to my Home system (Bellina Pro tube Dac ). No comments.... :frowning2:

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,723 of 6,550
Regarding AK eq: no idea if they've changed it since I owned it but it's eq was very limited. If you can't pick the specific frequency you need and set Q or bandwidth it's not worth bothering with IMO.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,724 of 6,550
wink_face.gif

I agree.  It's amazing to me how polarizing totl DAPS (or at least those so-inteded) can be.  Some people want sound quality uber alles, and as long as it is functional and has good battery life, they are happy.  Others want totl sonics, plus wifi, touch screen, 1080p video playback, 300 hour battery life, line out, coax out, usb out, 2 Tb storage, enough amp power for K1000s, and wafer thin form factor, and Apple-like user experience-  oh, and it should only cost $250!  Not trying to pick on anyone, just seems like it is impossible to cater to both sides of this kind of rift.....

I am reminded of the Kindle commercials showing people struggling to read tablets in daylight.....       It's a portable music player....  how about if it just does that really well?   Besides, for home/desktop use, a vortexbox will be waaaay better than a DAP, imho.  Horses for courses, I guess.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,725 of 6,550
Regarding AK eq: no idea if they've changed it since I owned it but it's eq was very limited. If you can't pick the specific frequency you need and set Q or bandwidth it's not worth bothering with IMO.

iow, you're parametrically opposed to any other kind of eq?  sorry, I couldn't resist
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back