$700 setup Budget (Need Help)
Jul 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

grimzz R

New Head-Fier
Im a noob and have no idea what to get.

I have a $700 budget but I could save up and go a little over if its worth it.

I mostly listen to Rock music but I also want to use it for movies.

I need someone to tell me which Headphone, which AMP, which DAC etc. etc.

Would really appreciate the help.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Would really appreciate a more ''explanatory'' post.

I would appreciate how you would like to listen to music and watch movies to set you up.

Is it only from a computer? Tv? Both?

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 23
I know people are going to say E7/E9 so there lol
Although if you have limited budget i would say trying to find some used one unit piece, by that i mean a dac and amp in one chaise 

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 23
FiiO E7+E9 combo, yes Brucysn, I went there. $230

They are a good pair of amps that with the E7 connected and docked, the E9 works great. They have a ton of juice and can, if you wish, the E7 can be used as portable later on. Pick up a Sansa Clip+, yes it is cheap, but absolutely loved and I love mine enough to cut finger off to save. Ok, might not, it was $20, but you get the point.

And Sennheiser HD650, which are loved here. They will give you great sound that can compete with the best and with a $400 sale point, are lovely.

I would stick with the E7/E9 combo as an Amp and Dac, so anything with the rest of your budget would be to headphones. Cool idea huh?

Make sure to shop around and get to read the comments about the headphones you research. Also, don't get stuck into getting bass heavy or treble heavy headphone. All headphones have bass and treble and are listenable. But at $500, they turn out pretty well rounded and very nice. Can't go wrong with $500 cans.

this review helps with the higher end:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524569/review-20-headphones-compared#post_7077725

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
FiiO E7+E9 combo, yes Brucysn, I went there. $230

They are a good pair of amps that with the E7 connected and docked, the E9 works great. They have a ton of juice and can, if you wish, the E7 can be used as portable later on. Pick up a Sansa Clip+, yes it is cheap, but absolutely loved and I love mine enough to cut finger off to save. Ok, might not, it was $20, but you get the point.

And Sennheiser HD650, which are loved here. They will give you great sound that can compete with the best and with a $400 sale point, are lovely.

I would stick with the E7/E9 combo as an Amp and Dac, so anything with the rest of your budget would be to headphones. Cool idea huh?

Make sure to shop around and get to read the comments about the headphones you research. Also, don't get stuck into getting bass heavy or treble heavy headphone. All headphones have bass and treble and are listenable. But at $500, they turn out pretty well rounded and very nice. Can't go wrong with $500 cans.

this review helps with the higher end:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524569/review-20-headphones-compared#post_7077725

I think $400 is a bit expensive for 650 if you call J&R you  can get one around $350 or less. I have the E7, as a DAC it didn't really impress me much though. You can try the MF dac or the PiscoDAC they are a steal at its price which you find used at $200 i believe and than you can look for an amp like Lyr or Maple Mad ear/ little dot MKII/III used at less than $300. Than the mighty HD650 used at $250. There this is what i'd spent $700 dollars. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 23
Ok I think I am gonna get the HD650 and I am considering the AMPs and DACs mentioned above but I hear allot of this ''Audio-GD Fun''.

At $345 would this be better then the ones mentioned above?

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 23
Heya,

This is your first venture into this. Be very careful. You can easily over spend and not even get what you were looking for. $700 is a good budget, but for entry, it's easy to lose that money and still end up wanting something completely different when you get what you want and find out it doesn't suit you or doesn't fit your taste, etc. You really need to try a few things before you just toss $700 to the wind--unless it's just pocket change for you.

That said, if you're at all serious, I'd suggest a simple setup for you that will be effective for the cost.

Hi-Fi Man EF2A USB/DAC/AMP (new) or this amp (used) + BeyerDynamic DT990 600ohm (new) or same headphone used ($100 less).

With your left over budget, keep it for getting more source material or for trying other things later. This setup will impress anyone starting out and be a solid performer for a long time. It will sound like more expensive setups without being super expensive. Very time-tested and reviewed.

Very best,

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 23
audio-gd FUN is probably the source you should be going for.

I would really want to recommend the HE-4 but I'm not sure if the amp is quite enough.  Will probably be fine, but more power is almost always better.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Ok I think I am gonna get the HD650 and I am considering the AMPs and DACs mentioned above but I hear allot of this ''Audio-GD Fun''.

At $345 would this be better then the ones mentioned above?

I never had the "fun" lol, however the MF DAC and Pisco are something I had or tried before, The pisco in particular is %80 close to my friend's
Digital Link III w/ LV mod which cost him over $1000, well in his opinion. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 23
I have the audio-gd fun with earth opa, and just bought a hd650.... and I highly recommend it. I was after a nice balanced sound with just a bit of bass and not too much treble. The details are all there without being shoved in your face like some brighter headphones I won't mention. Quite euphoric...

BTW I was really worried that people with the HD650 and the Fun were overly enthusiastic about the synergy between them. I kept reading that with a bad amp the hd650's sound dark and muddy etc. and people were often recommending expensive amps (much more than the FUN). I'm definitely not worried anymore. The Fun can handle the hd650's no problem. It definitely does the hd650 justice.

BTW the Fun is on sale for 10% off and it comes with the opa earth free (first time Ive seen it one sale), get version A. Also I bought the HD650 from razordog deals on ebay for $330, awesome deal. With both of those you will be fairly under budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back