<$50 Home headphones
Jul 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #16 of 21
I can vouch for the Samson. I have an HD202 and there is no comparison. The Samson sound is much clearer, bass is deeper, soundstage is bigger. HD202 has a more grainy, congested, up-front sound, but with PRaT it's actually kind of fun on some tracks--mainly fast, organic musics (disco, pop, rock, vocal, funk). But Samson wins hands down with electronica. Put a track like LFO - We Are Back on those massive 50mm drivers and when that sub-bass drops you can FEEL it. It's a great all around performer and the best full-size can I've ever owned at under $50.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
I can vouch for the Samson. I have an HD202 and there is no comparison. The Samson sound is much clearer, bass is deeper, soundstage is bigger. HD202 has a more grainy, congested, up-front sound, but with PRaT it's actually kind of fun on some tracks--mainly fast, organic musics (disco, pop, rock, vocal, funk). But Samson wins hands down with electronica. Put a track like LFO - We Are Back on those massive 50mm drivers and when that sub-bass drops you can FEEL it. It's a great all around performer and the best full-size can I've ever owned at under $50.

I had a pair of 681's. THOSE had really nice deep bass but it's a shame they're more harsh and thin sounding compared to the 668b.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 21
Between the Superlux HD681 and HD668B I would choose the HD668B. Like others have said, the treble is way harsher on the 681s. The 668Bs are pretty neutral sounding to me, they have a little bit of emphasized treble, but it's not that bad.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 21
InnerFidelitys review of both headphones says that the 681 is technically better (slightly) , however from what others have said most did find the 668b more enjoyable.

Technically, the 681 measurements are slightly better than those of the 668B with slightly flatter frequency response, slightly better power handling in the bass of the THD response, slightly better bass linearity in the 30 Hz square wave, and slightly less noise in the 300Hz square wave and impulse response. Both headphones had a distortion peak at about 5kHz.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 21
Hmm, I wonder if you can essentially use some of the same arguments that are used with movies and augment them to use with headphones.  With movies such as Citizen Kane and Seven Samurai being considered technically superior to most movies, one has to remember that technical prowess does not necessarily mean enjoyment value.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if you can essentially use some of the same arguments that are used with movies and augment them to use with headphones.  With movies such as Citizen Kane and Seven Samurai being considered technically superior to most movies, one has to remember that technical prowess does not necessarily mean enjoyment value.

Yep.

Most of people said the 681's are much more enjoyable then the 668b by a longshot if modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back