300-400 $ - Best Phones for listening to Jazz - Jazzrock ??
Jul 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 35
Jul 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
Not to much, 702 is blue, has a detachable cable, and no base/stand. 701 is white (which i think looks awesome), no detachable cable and a stand. 

So the 702 is interesting, you can mod the cables ???

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
If you're planning to mod the cables, you can spend the money on a better jazz headphone

Witch one give me names
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 35
Don't take the K701/2 you'll spend hundreds of bucks to drive it properly and it doesn't have impact (bass). Try to get Shure SHR 840, it's easy to drive and good for all kinds of music, including Jazz.

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #23 of 35
If you can get an Audio Technica W series headphone, that will be the way to go for jazz.  W1000, W1000x, W5000

That's not to say K701 are worse, but K701 are not colored enough for me to enjoy vocals as much. The K701s are more resolving, spacious, and detailed than the Audio Techs. However, the Audio Technics have upfront, warm, yet crisp vocals. It has more impactful bass but the vocals alone are enough to dedicate myself to the search of more Audio Tech woodies. Also, K701 desperately needs a powerful amp to get a decent amount of bass.

Quote:
Witch one give me names
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
Acoustical instruments are well rendered with Akg's. But, yeah you need some power to drive them. 

Oki i get it, but what do you mean exactly more power ? Do you think the little dot tube amp is not enough?? Is there a great amp thats drives them very good ?

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #26 of 35
I think AKG takes approx $700 in amping to get the bass without clipping.

Quote:

Oki i get it, but what do you mean exactly more power ? Do you think the little dot tube amp is not enough?? Is there a great amp thats drives them very good ?

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
I am very surprised that no one has yet mentioned an audio technica. They are by far one of the best companies to go to wen looking for something that goes wit jazz and vocals. Vocals are wat they do best. Very natural, intimate, yet crisp. Upfront vocals. I will suggest the w1000. With a tube amp and/or a bit of midbass bump with eq, it has perfect vocals to me. Far superior vocals over any brand that i have tried. Includes senn, grado, beyer, ultrasone, denon, etc

Also better than my akg k701 in jazz and vocals

actually, what comes to my mind first for this genres is AD1000PRM, it's really nice for jazz and jazz rock, transparant sounding and huge staging, but you know, the budget...

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 35
I have to say, within your budget the 70x is a great headphone with Jazz and Jazzrock. You can even get the headphones and a decent amp within your budget. The Millett SSHT works surprisingly well with the 70x.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 35
Yea. I realize that the Audio Technica options are pushing the budget. Maybe the OP can get a used one. I got my W1000 used from Head-fi. One of the best decisions I've made from here. I'm looking for my next Audio Tech woodie right now...  I've actually never heard of the AD1000PRM, I'm gonna look into that too...

Quote:
actually, what comes to my mind first for this genres is AD1000PRM, it's really nice for jazz and jazz rock, transparant sounding and huge staging, but you know, the budget...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back