2359glenn | studio
May 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #331 of 39,994
Quote:
Sure did, the same day my tube came in!
Now I need another 596...
deadhorse.gif

Questions? 
wink_face.gif
 I've got answers! Wait, what was the question again? 
blink.gif
 Does '596' make it a math question? O, now I remember... PM sent.

May 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #332 of 39,994
My NOS 1956 United Electronics USAF-596 arrived today at lunch time! Will proceed with burn-in later tonight. Although, it was purchased as backup, by all appearances,  the OTL amp looks delighted all the same. 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #335 of 39,994
Quote:
Heh, sooner or later I'll wind up being the only person who hasn't heard this tube.

Lucky for you 
smiley_thumb.gif
 I'm sending the Mighty 596 back out on tour...tomorrow! I'm going "Postal" - Priority Mail. How would you like to receive it: Delivery Confirmation or Signature Guarantee?

May 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #336 of 39,994
Quote:
My 596 came today, it certainly is interesting looking! I can't wait to find an adapter and give it a good listening. 

I think she's a looker...and a keeper!

9f22185c_USAF-596.jpeg

In a couple of weeks, if you're not in receipt I'll do one of two things: clone the adapter or loan mine out to you for a bit.

May 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #337 of 39,994
"High altitude version of 1641"

I went for it.

Will it work :confused:

That was impulsive.

I can already see that it has stubs instead of antenna connectors...

May 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #338 of 39,994
Quote:
"High altitude version of 1641"

I went for it.
Will it work
confused.gif

I can already see that it has stubs instead of antenna connectors...

I don't know enough about tubes electrically, but the sheet does state "Similar." I really do think you're gonna need an adapter, though. 
blink.gif
 I recall about 1.5 years ago, a few Woo members trying out the RK60, which Glenn had to make adapters for. Clayton has both the USAF-596 & RK60. Shoot him a PM for his thoughts.

May 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #339 of 39,994
I bought it because someone had already bought the other one, and it seems even scarcer than the 596. Now trying to get out of it lol, I think it will work but I don't want to have to chase down another adapter. Although my adapter would probably work if I modified it to accept multiple "pigtails" with banana plugs. Anyways I offered the guy $5 if he wants it to avoid return shipping.

edit: :rolleyes:

May 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #342 of 39,994
To my knowledge, Clayton SF has the RK60 with adapters by 2359glenn and inquired about it over the weekend. A good ol' fashion shootout - RK60 meets USAF-596! Awaiting his reply.
popcorn.gif

May 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #343 of 39,994
This past Sunday night saw the passing of Donald "Duck" Dunn. Famed Bass Player of Booker T. & The M.G.'s and the fabulous Blues Brothers. He was giggin' in Tokyo and passed away in his sleep at the hotel. 

Saturday night through Sunday night, saw me rollin' tubes in-n-out like no other. So, in the spirit of Donald Dunn and the film The Blues Brothers... "Rawhide!" (short excerpt)

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'...

Move 'em on, head 'em up, 
Head 'em up, move 'em out, 
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide! 
Set 'em out, ride 'em in 
Ride 'em in, let 'em out, 
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide. 

Rawhide!

Anyway, while on the heels of "Rollin'," the entire weekend brought me full-circle, tube rolling. To-date, my fav combo for the Silver Hawk is:

Rectifier: USAF-596
Power:    TS-5998
Drive:      TS-BGRP VT-231/6SN7GT

I didn't bother taking notes, as a careful study would have taken me two months not two nights. Besides, I'm already familiar with each tube but not all of the possible pairings. This is what the weekend exercise was about, trying more combos. Briefly, I substituted one tube at a time to have a chance to perform with the remaining two tubes preferred by me:

Rectifier:  Sub > GE 3DG4; GE 5V3; Dumont 5V3; 
Power:     TS-5998
Drive:       TS-BGRP

Rectifier:  USAF-596
Power:     Sub > Sovtek 6AS7G; Sylvania 6AS7G
Drive:        TS-BGRP

Rectifier:   USAF-596
Power:      TS-5998
Drive:         Sub > FIVRE 6SN7GT Brown base; Raytheon 6SN7W

Then toward the latter part of Sunday night, just mixin' and matchin'. After all of that listening, the combination I started out with, is the very combination I ended with - it is my preferred tube compliment for now.

May 16, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #344 of 39,994
Thanks for the update SO.

Which FIVRE is this, the Brown or Black Base one?

May 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #345 of 39,994
Quote:
Thanks for the update SO.

Which FIVRE is this, the Brown or Black Base one?

Good eye! I failed to make that distinction, if only because the Brown base sounds better than the Black base. However, you did offer the Black base just needed some hours. Knowing this in advance, I skipped the Black base for this exercise. Will put some hours on it and revisit the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back