2359glenn | studio
May 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #301 of 39,998
SO I need some adapters made and have posted in the DIY Forum for help but I have not been lucky yet.
If you do get somebody who will be willing to build adapters please let me know.

May 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #302 of 39,998
I've been looking for a DIY entry the past 12 months... could this be it? Of course, I would need some advising but, if push comes to shove, I might wanna have a go at this specific adapter for this particular rectifier (The Mighty 596).

May 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #303 of 39,998
My request was posted 10 days ago http://www.head-fi.org/t/607553/tube-adapters

It's a new type of adapter for testing a new family of tubes that will give the 6SN7's a hard time.
Meantime I am waiting for the parts to arrive.

When I get the adapters built and carry out some tests I will introduce the new family of tubes to Head-Fi.

Mean time form independent tests from a friend in France and another in Australia the results are very encouraging.

May 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #304 of 39,998
SO, 2359glenn would probably be kind enough to give you a parts list? He mentioned that he used the last of the ones he had when he made mine.

May 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #305 of 39,998
Quote:
My request was posted 10 days ago http://www.head-fi.org/t/607553/tube-adapters

It's a new type of adapter for testing a new family of tubes that will give the 6SN7's a hard time.
Meantime I am waiting for the parts to arrive.

When I get the adapters built and carry out some tests I will introduce the new family of tubes to Head-Fi.

Mean time form independent tests from a friend in France and another in Australia the results are very encouraging.

This is great to hear! I wonder what series of tubes the ones you're working mirror the closest? Above, when I ask "Could this be it?" 
biggrin.gif
 I am speaking to a possible opportunity for me to gain a foot-in-the-door to DIYing, not a particular post. 

Ah, but look what my post fleshed out! Do I have the right amp to beta test with the others?

May 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #306 of 39,998
Quote:
SO, 2359glenn would probably be kind enough to give you a parts list? He mentioned that he used the last of the ones he had when he made mine.

Yes, he would. But I wouldn't want to burden him with trivial matters through his period of restoration. When the opportunity arises, I'll ask though. Did you receive your adapter?

May 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #307 of 39,998
Sure did, the same day my tube came in!

Now I need another 596...
:deadhorse:

May 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #308 of 39,998
Quote:

This is great to hear! I wonder what series of tubes the ones you're working mirror the closest? Above, when I ask "Could this be it?" 
biggrin.gif
 I am speaking to a possible opportunity for me to gain a foot-in-the-door to DIYing, not a particular post. 

Ah, but look what my post fleshed out! Do I have the right amp to beta test with the others?

Yes it's fully compatable to the 6SN7 less microphonic, much cheaper.................
Now you got me talking, SO you're so bad!

Once I get the adapters built you'll be the first US based Head-Fier  to test them.

May 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #309 of 39,998
Quote:
Sure did, the same day my tube came in!
Now I need another 596...
deadhorse.gif

Though I can be quiet sometimes (discreet), 
smiley_thumb.gif
 you know I got your back, baby! Bought one tonight, as a matter of fact - NOS 1956. I've been doing some ground work on this glass the past few weeks and have turned up a number of surpluses. Will not disclose any quantities or prices anymore - PM only. It's still a very rare tube but I have been shaking the Military surplus coconut tree. And gotten hit over the head with a many of exorbitant coconuts from brokers. Next time I'm shown insane mark-ups, I'm going to ask "Is it ok if I fax your invoice to the IRS?"  Failing to report income, are we? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

But we gotta problem, grokit! Word has gotten out about the attributes of the Mighty 596. While researching the tube in April, I came across a few sources who only learned about the tube through web postings recently... OURS. Dealers and suppliers don't give a rip about us, rather, if there's a Buck or a Grand to be made by another's interest, so be it! We have slowly awakened the community by our enthusiasm (I'm guilty in this regard 
rolleyes.gif
 ). Just a couple of weeks ago, a Chinese collector just bought an entire lot of 596's... all of 'em. Our known Hong Kong seller had 'em in his shop for years with no interest from anyone. 

So no, I'm not being paranoid as I am being cautious - why drive up the price of something we want ourselves? I suggest we discuss pricing, availability and location behind closed doors in PM's. This week, I'll help track down a backup for you.

May 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #310 of 39,998
Quote:

Yes it's fully compatable to the 6SN7 less microphonic, much cheaper.................
Now you got me talking, SO you're so bad!

Once I get the adapters built you'll be the first US based Head-Fier  to test them.

Intrigued. And highly interested! Much more interesting could be the story of how this all came about. A Private Message, perhaps?
popcorn.gif

May 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #311 of 39,998
I had a lead on a single 596, but that fell through. I'll continue to search for this elusive monster!

As for the adapters, I'm going to look into what it takes to make them. I have a number of manufacturing resouces available to me and might be able to build them. If I recall correctly, the pins were hard to find, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

May 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #312 of 39,998
SO I was told about it by Bruno my French Tube Guru and dear friend.

It's not my discovery but his, I can't say much more for now in public.

I am not going to have the prices pushed sky high before we stock up first.
So it might be a good idea if we keep this private for the minute. 

May 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #313 of 39,998
Quote:
I had a lead on a single 596, but that fell through. I'll continue to search for this elusive monster!

As for the adapters, I'm going to look into what it takes to make them. I have a number of manufacturing resouces available to me and might be able to build them. If I recall correctly, the pins were hard to find, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

The pins are sometimes hard to find. Can be frustrating to source as witnessed by my own requests for adapters. Now that I know your interest in the elusive monster, perhaps I can help - I know where they lunch. 
wink.gif
 Even monsters gotta eat! Sending a PM...

May 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #314 of 39,998
Quote:
SO I was told about it by Bruno my French Tube Guru and dear friend.

It's not my discovery but his, I can't say much more for now in public.

I am not going to have the prices pushed sky high before we stock up first.
So it might be a good idea if we keep this private for the minute. 

smiley_thumb.gif
 Without question! It's akin to shooting one's own foot from shooting off one's mouth.

May 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #315 of 39,998
SO Nicely put!
wink_face.gif

Now I am counting on the first part of your name!

Wotts do you mean you might be able to find somebody who can build adapters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back