2359glenn | studio
May 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #361 of 39,998
They will give me physical separation from the component below, and hopefully dampen any vibration from it.

May 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #362 of 39,998
Quote:
Naysayers gonna say nay and haters gonna hate. Enjoy this hobby anyway you like. I am sure there are differences in sound based on different blocks because vibrations certainly have an effect on any electrical field. I hope you didn't interpret my comments as naysaying; it was actually of admiration.
On the flip side of naysaying, I tweaked my settings in iTunes to my liking. In the process, the signal to my DAC is no longer bit perfect. I don't care. Haters gonna hate. I'm gonna listen.

No misinterpretation here, our dialogue was the first of the day worth having. I do value other's opinion. But, if members are going to sling mud at me, I've right to ensure they're using Certified 100% Organic Dirt. Otherwise, why bother?! 
dt880smile.png

As someone who enjoys computer audio, I still have folks challenging me on the street with the tired "You're fooling yourself, bits is bits" argument. Or want me to do a ABX with the cheap $1.50 USB cable that  comes with every electronic purchase - printer - portables - cameras - computers. Recently, we've learned these crowds were left behind at the train station. Some of them still standing there. 
biggrin.gif
 I still remember the huge leap made my the discovery of Jitter in Digital Audio. And the huge opposition to its finding and what it meant. I always strive to keep an open mind.

I hear what you're saying about "Bit perfect." It's admirable. But at the end of the day... 

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #366 of 39,998
How can I missed this thread! 
eek.gif

I am not gone through the whole thread (it's pretty long) but need to say, thanks Glenn. Glenn has help a lot on how to re-solve the 5U4G blown problem in my WA5LE or others and has thoroughly think on the modification method. Finally he found we can use the 596 tubes on it without a problem and even sound better than some expensive tubes.

THANKS GLENN and you are our treasure. Hope you recover very very soon. 
beerchug.gif

With best wishes.

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #369 of 39,998
Earlier in the week, I received the National Union 6SN7GT - Smoked Glass. Never heard it before in any amp and was very curious to hear it in my OTL amp. I installed the tube and let the glass warm up for two hours. My trial, now under way, made for a rude awakening.

I did nothing to provoke the tube 
rolleyes.gif
 but was assaulted anyway... at any volume. 
eek.gif
 I can now confirm it isn't our custom built amp, Xcalibur255; rosgr63. Two things struck me and in a bad way: 1-Hugely microphonic. At one point, I even coughed and flinched at the feedback. I didn't need to cough, actually. But in the spirit of testing, I started doing all kinds of things that one might do or experience while in-session. 2-A loud hum persists, no matter the volume. And proves annoying when listening to dynamic recordings or one with soft and delicate vocals and instruments. 

Astrud Gilberto... poor thing. Her lighter-than-air vocals were completely marred; obscured. There were other tracks - none escaped the dreaded hum. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to hear this tube. It simply wasn't meant to be with my amp. I do love  good adventure and this one won't be complete until I roll in some different tubes, so... stay tuned. 

In the event it fares better with different tube selections, then I'll be John Brown (1800-1859)!

Update: Guess I'm gonna be John Brown! At least for a night anyway, see post #376 for update.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #370 of 39,998
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif

This is the most interesting way to desribe bad tubes ever heard.
biggrin.gif
 I did buy a pair of Ken Rad 6SN7 with similar problem but not that bad as yours and I finally returned to the seller in the next day for a refund, yes, that quick because the place I live is really a small city.  Good luck buddy with your tube rolling game, it burns $.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #371 of 39,998
That's very interesting.

That tube tested NOS and as can be seen it has no cathode boil off marks.
It was tested on an amp for a couple of hours and sounded very nice.

It was very slightly microphonic when touched, lots of tubes are, but had no hum or noise issues.
I think that some damage might have happened in transit, it does happen occasionally.
Particles can get dislodged and can get stuck between elements and cause problems.

SO when you are done with it please send it back so I can re test it on my testers and amps.
Thread readers should note there was no sale involved.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #372 of 39,998
Quote:
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif

This is the most interesting way to desribe bad tubes ever heard.
biggrin.gif
 I did buy a pair of Ken Rad 6SN7 with similar problem but not that bad as yours and I finally returned to the seller in the next day for a refund, yes, that quick because the place I live is really a small city.  Good luck buddy with your tube rolling game, it burns $.
biggrin.gif

I try to bring readers inside the listening room 
smiley_thumb.gif
... to the crime scene. All jokes aside, I know from Glenn and JC that it's a nice tube that can be micro-phonic but not always. The hum, however, is baffling... 

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #373 of 39,998
Quote:
That's very interesting.

That tube tested NOS and as can be seen it has no cathode boil off marks.
It was tested on an amp for a couple of hours and sounded very nice.

It was very slightly microphonic when touched, lots of tubes are, but had no hum or noise issues.
I think that some damage might have happened in transit, it does happen occasionally.
Particles can get dislodged and can get stuck between elements and cause problems.

SO when you are done with it please send it back so I can re test it on my testers and amps.
Thread readers should note there was no sale involved.

Looking back, I should have been more clear on this point. Thanks for pointing this out on my behalf. I'm not sure what to make of the hum issue. This is yet another reason why I should have kept my WooAudio amp. I found that rectifiers and drive tubes could show characteristics on one amp but not the other. I could have narrowed things further for you. I still can't help but think that the tube might be fine and it's amp dependent.

Before I return it, I'm going with a change in the line-up. The Russians are coming... the Russian 6AS7G's are my quietest power tubes and will go with those and the GE 3DG4 rectifier and see how the NU behaves. Then will return the tube mid-week.

I saw the exciting news on the adapters coming in for the 6SN7 Killers! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #374 of 39,998
Well, it's a shame that the tube is no good, but all the same I'm thankful it isn't my amp.  Thanks for reporting your findings SO.

Rosgr, I'm still concerned this might have been my fault during my cleaning process.  I try to be gentle, but polishing the pins with steel wool requires working the piece back and forth across the pins so the shaking action might have shifted the mica tabs holding the plate against the glass, or dislodged some sort of material.  Of course it could also have happened in shipping, where it would have been jostled around a lot.  I've cleaned a lot of tubes this way and had no problems until my TSRP so I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt for now. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #375 of 39,998
One observation I've made, day one actually, is that my amp could be suffering from shipping and handling. I'm only speculating but the 6SN7 & 6AS7 tubes socket on the right side are grip tight! The 6AS7 & rectifier tube socket on the left side are extremely loose. Coincidentally, the amp's heaviest side is on the left. I'm wondering about the amp's reality in transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back