2359glenn | studio
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #34,561 of 39,986
My experience is with rectifiers, but I have no reason to think that drivers and output tubes would be substantially different....

I have Valvo and Telefunken AZ12 rectifiers, mesh and sheet metal, and in both cases the two versions were manufactured only a few years apart, with the mesh being the earliest and the sheet metal a few years later.

And in each case the most noticeable difference is in the highs, mesh plates are slightly less sharp. And to my mind this is due to the difference in the harmonic resonance of these materials. If you were to tap the sheet-metal plates, you would hear a metallic ringing sound. And if you were to tap the mesh plates, you would hear a very dull sound -- "damped" if you will. So it seems to me that the "ringing" of the sheet-metal plates is adding a bit more treble energy. And perhaps it is safe to say that the mesh plates are perhaps more neutral. Anyway, this is they way it seems to me. But of course, my ears and my gear...

I think you're on target here, it seems logical to me. Any mechanical ringing is likely to have an effect on the sound, just like microphonics. Ringing mostly affects high frequencies, and mesh has superior mechanical damping qualities. I see a lot of people mention that the soundstage feels more "layered" with mesh tubes and that might be a side effect of the reduced ringing.

I've been leaning towards doing mesh for a good while now, if for no other reason than if I'm buying special expensive tubes I might as well go for the most special version.

edit: of course what I REALLY want are those EML 45 Globes that they only made one time a decade ago. Every once in a while somebody lets their spare pair from that one-time buy go and I think they're closing in on WE 300b prices now. I will never have that kind of money to throw at this hobby so I'll have to settle for standard production meshies.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #34,562 of 39,986
Ever get around to trying that Nippon Electric 5R4-GY? Curious to hear what you think as I will be using the NEC 5Z3 in my amp.

I've never heard a 5R4 tube I didn't like. Even the cheap RCAs are decent tubes, but I'm partial to the European ones like the Brimar and Philips. Any amp that runs a 5U4 I will automatically sub a 5R4 into it instead.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #34,563 of 39,986
Ever get around to trying that Nippon Electric 5R4-GY? Curious to hear what you think as I will be using the NEC 5Z3 in my amp.

Unfortunately, I've been much too busy these past several weeks and haven't had much time to listen to music. And when I do have time, my current roll is so good that I have no desire to change it. :)

But will try to find some time for the NEC 5R4GY soon. And like Xcalibur. I quite like the Brimar and Philips (La Radiotechique actually) and am curious to see how it compares.

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #34,564 of 39,986
Unfortunately, I've been much too busy these past several weeks and haven't had much time to listen to music. And when I do have time, my current roll is so good that I have no desire to change it. :)

But will try to find some time for the NEC 5R4GY soon. And like Xcalibur. I quite like the Brimar and Philips (La Radiotechique actually) and am curious to see how it compares.

I'm looking forward to it!

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #34,565 of 39,986

my current roll is so good that I have no desire to change it.....

Been there.....
Yes, these things happen.... The journey is over, I've finally found what I really like - just sitting back and enjoying the music.
Beautiful, great, fantastic, wow! Fantabulous, scrumptious - feel free to fill in......

Then it becomes the New Normal. Still great, but.....after a while ( I am afraid to say it ) ---- a little boring - nothing new to try;

Or is it?

Maybe I should try these? A French guy claims that they have more authority than the L63. Somebody told me that if you mix up the leads you can blow up your amp.
s-l1600.jpg

Wife: Why do you have so many glass thingamajigs?

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #34,566 of 39,986
That looks like a National Union 7193. For me on a former amp I was impressed by the KenRad 7193 but still preferred Sylvania straight glass or ST shaped Visseaux 6J5, and not much buzz about Natuonal Union brand in general. YMMV but maybe I just saved you some $$. The GEC MHLD6 look similar and seem promising but we'll have to wait till I get my amp and adapters.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #34,567 of 39,986
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #34,568 of 39,986
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #34,569 of 39,986
I saw those too...I am on the lookout for a WE422A....but only when the right deal comes along

I'm glad I managed to get my pair of 422A (two singles) at sane(r) prices. @2359glenn gave me the heads up to look for these rectifiers very early on when I was finalising the spec for my GOTL.. phew! lol

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #34,570 of 39,986
Ive been thinking of the best way to do this cable shootout video. Im thinking I will choose a handful of songs across several genres that I own and know well. All will be redbook,or above.
Play the same songs seven times,take notes,and shoot the video.
Can you guys think of a better way to do it? Im open to suggestions.

Are you going to run into copyright issues if you post this on youtube?

I find it close to impossible to gain meaningful sound information from low resolution youtube videos. Maybe you can find a way to make this work. Or maybe the video could just be to show the cables and talk about the differences.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #34,571 of 39,986
I'm glad I managed to get my pair of 422A (two singles) at sane(r) prices. @2359glenn gave me the heads up to look for these rectifiers very early on when I was finalising the spec for my GOTL.. phew! lol
I asked the guy if he added an extra 0 by mistake.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #34,572 of 39,986
and I like to have a hardwired connection whenever possible,whether it be my computer or gaming consoles or audio gear.
I was just chatting with whirlwind about video games. You are the total opposite to me in regards to video games :) All my PC games are downloaded via Steam and I use a wireless XBox controller :) Currently going through the Wolfenstein games that I've missed. Fun with knives....

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #34,573 of 39,986
Yeah I even have my PS4 controller hardwired. Less lag input. when youre old like me and play FPSers in PvP vs. teenagers with lightning fast reflexes I need all the help I can get.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #34,574 of 39,986
By paralleling more tubes, you are generating more current to drive the headphones and simultaneously lowering the output impedance which will give better definition of the low frequencies.

Is your mains issue related to grounding? Not sure if it is the same in the UK, but in the US many old homes (like mine) do not have grounded outlets which causes all kinds of problems with audio gear (ground loops, mains noise leakage, etc.). Tried using different outlets? Conveniently in my house, the outlet closest to my system is the only one that isn't grounded :dt880smile: I use an extension cord to get to a grounded outlet or the noise is unbearable, will get around to grounding it eventually, but might be a big project.

One thing I have been looking into recently is getting an isolation transformer for my system, but have to research it further.

1st, thanks for the great set of comments regarding running tubes in parallel, etc. All fascinating and informative.

Perhaps I am reading into this too much:

>>which will give better definition of the low frequencies.

The mains gremlin manifests as 50/100Hz main harmonics hum (analogous to 60/120/ etc Hz in the US). Maybe that is another reason more outputs make more noise (low freqs) ?

2nd, my mains issue and experiments could fill a thread or three, so I will only make minor comments here for the sanity of all. When I have gotten to the bottom, I will post some summary so perhaps some poor sod might be saved some grief. Will prevail! (and yes, tried the things you suggested - thank you for the suggestions).

I am getting a dedicated mains circuit next week and possibly sinking a copper rod for an additional earthing (ground) also. Let's see how we do ..

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #34,575 of 39,986
Are you going to run into copyright issues if you post this on youtube?

I find it close to impossible to gain meaningful sound information from low resolution youtube videos. Maybe you can find a way to make this work. Or maybe the video could just be to show the cables and talk about the differences.
Yeah,no I wont be actually playing the music in the video. In my TRP video I played a 10 second clip of a song,and within 24 hours YouTube had messaged me saying I had violated the copyright rules,but the owner(Univeral music)decided not to force me to pull the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back