2359glenn | studio
Jul 2, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #13,711 of 39,983
Next time I get the urge to do something idiotic with my audio dollars I think I will just stab myself in the face with a fork instead.

That should be lot more fun and certainly less expensive :D

No way Tony, too drastic.
When things go wrong hit the pies and cookies.......more fun.

PS you are allowed to swear!!!!!

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #13,712 of 39,983
No way Tony, too drastic.
When things go wrong hit the pies and cookies.......more fun.

PS you are allowed to swear!!!!!

I'm more a beer & bacon kind of guy, but I like how your mind works
wink_face.gif

Getting back to all things Glenn amp related - have installed the 200mA fuses and so far all is good. Am driving the HE6, so that is about as demanding a headphone as there is.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #13,713 of 39,983
  Well, I'm trying yet another new pair of rectifiers in my neverending quest to find ones that don't buzz.  Right off the bat there is hum in the left channel.  I'm hoping this goes away with some run time.

I have to admit I'm getting incredibly burned out on rolling these tubes.  Absolutely no fun in it at all, just crossed fingers.

I do still think the idea of doing the full wave bridge rectification scheme has a lot of value.  The difference may not be huge but it eliminates parts from the signal chain, and in a TOTL amp like Glenn's stuff you can probably tell the difference.  We used the 6BY5 because it has the unique ability to do this with 2 tubes where usually you need 4 when using TV damper diodes.  The 6AX4 is the typically used tube I believe.

I'd encourage others to consider the 6AX4 if they're doing a high dollar amp with a big chassis, assuming the tube is compatible in terms of things like PI voltage.  Stay away from the 6BY5 though.  Enticing as it seems to cut 4 tubes down to 2 this thing is nothing but a buzzy, hummy pain in the ass.

Luckily there isn't even the option if you're doing 300B since the 6BY5 can't handle the voltage.  On paper it seemed ideal for a 45 or 2A3 amp.......... in practice, not so much.

Tyrell
I have the HEXFRED diodes and tube bases and will make you two SS 6BY5s when I get back from Stavros house.
Some time next week.

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #13,714 of 39,983
Glenn, how's Greece treating you?  I hope you are eating enough.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #13,715 of 39,983
  Glenn, how's Greece treating you?  I hope you are eating enough.

Hi David

We always get treated great here.
On the way back from the airport Stavros stopped to get some cheese pies.
And his GF made us a great dinner the eating to much has only begun.
Today Mama is going to start cooking for us don't get better then that.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #13,716 of 39,983
@TonyNewman

Look what came in the mail today.

:grinning:

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #13,718 of 39,983
Nice - I hope you like that album as much as I do. "The Foggy Dew" is brilliant track, particularly over a Glenn amp :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation mate!

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #13,719 of 39,983
We always get treated great here. On the way back from the airport Stavros stopped to get some cheese pies.

That's fantastic Glenn.
I hope you and Lucy have a great time and more cheese pies than you really should.
Stavros will help!

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #13,720 of 39,983
My very own wall of fame, with the King on top.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #13,721 of 39,983
Jul 4, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #13,722 of 39,983
Thanks, if you pay attention you'll see that I put 10 extra holes in the wall :), wife wasn't so happy.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #13,723 of 39,983

Hi David

We always get treated great here.
On the way back from the airport Stavros stopped to get some cheese pies.

Hey Glenn, hope you and Stavros are having a great time.  :)

I think I might have found a pair of tubes that behave.  Got some cheap straight bottles in that quiet down pretty well once they're warm, but it's too soon to tell.  I've had these tubes be good for a while and then suddenly misbehave, like the ones that nuked themselves a couple of weeks ago.  I thought those were the tubes I could just leave in the amp until they blew themselves up for no apparent reason.

It will be nice to have an alternative to fall back onto.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #13,725 of 39,983
Some food pictures from Greece

Wild boar sausage

I remember this food and the great friend in Greece. Really great times. I desire to go back. Have a good time :)
p.s.: you can see my beautiful face in a picture :D

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através de Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back