2359glenn | studio
Jul 1, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #13,696 of 39,986

I think I might keep them handy as a nice reminder to myself to not take wild chances with 300B purchases (or audio purchases in general). Been burned a number of times for rushed or hasty buying decisions. Stupid of me, really.

Also might have some more fun with other disposal methods and pictures to share on the thread. Have to keep a sense of humour about this
smile.gif

You are not alone Tony, welcome to the club!

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #13,697 of 39,986
  Just ordered 2 pairs of 6BX7's from Langrex, 1 pair Sylvania and 1 pair Pinnacle (Sylvania?). Hope these sound the same as the RCA as I like what the RCA 6BX7 a lot.

Well, to my ears, Sylvania 6BX7 have a different sound than the GEs. And there is no telling who manufactured the Pinnacle. And you have a pair of GE (labeled RCA). If you want tubes that sound the same as your GE/RCA, then look for the sandblasted dots.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #13,699 of 39,986
Well, to my ears, Sylvania 6BX7 have a different sound than the GEs. And there is no telling who manufactured the Pinnacle. And you have a pair of GE (labeled RCA). If you want tubes that sound the same as your GE/RCA, then look for the sandblasted dots.

I will probably be getting a pair or 2 of RCA's. What difference have you noticed between these and the Sylvania's?

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #13,700 of 39,986
I will probably be getting a pair or 2 of RCA's. What difference have you noticed between these and the Sylvania's?

I have Sylvania and GE 6BX7. I find the Sylvania to have more treble presence than the GE, and personally, I prefer the GE. I have yet to try the RCA. That is, "real" RCA, with clear tops and side getters, so can't say how they sound....

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #13,702 of 39,986
  Just ordered 2 pairs of 6BX7's from Langrex, 1 pair Sylvania and 1 pair Pinnacle (Sylvania?). Hope these sound the same as the RCA as I like what the RCA 6BX7 a lot.

The vast majority of these tubes were made by Sylvania.  Most re-brands will be from them.  The primary exception is if you find ones that have the distinctive white dot pattern on the glass that identifies GE tubes.  Tubes that GE bought from other companies did not get this marking, only tubes actually made by them did.

I have only heard the Sylvania and I really, really like the way they sound.  The perfect balance between treble presence and smoothness.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #13,703 of 39,986
The vast majority of these tubes were made by Sylvania.  Most re-brands will be from them.  The primary exception is if you find ones that have the distinctive white dot pattern on the glass that identifies GE tubes.  Tubes that GE bought from other companies did not get this marking, only tubes actually made by them did.

I have only heard the Sylvania and I really, really like the way they sound.  The perfect balance between treble presence and smoothness.

This makes more interested in the Sylvania's I have bought. The RCA's I already have have the dots so they may have been made by GE and I really like them. I am afraid my 2-sixtuplets 6BL7 may gather dust if the Sylvania 6BX7's prove to be as good as (if not better than) the RCA. Thanks for the info X.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #13,704 of 39,986
Well, I'm trying yet another new pair of rectifiers in my neverending quest to find ones that don't buzz.  Right off the bat there is hum in the left channel.  I'm hoping this goes away with some run time.

I have to admit I'm getting incredibly burned out on rolling these tubes.  Absolutely no fun in it at all, just crossed fingers.

I do still think the idea of doing the full wave bridge rectification scheme has a lot of value.  The difference may not be huge but it eliminates parts from the signal chain, and in a TOTL amp like Glenn's stuff you can probably tell the difference.  We used the 6BY5 because it has the unique ability to do this with 2 tubes where usually you need 4 when using TV damper diodes.  The 6AX4 is the typically used tube I believe.

I'd encourage others to consider the 6AX4 if they're doing a high dollar amp with a big chassis, assuming the tube is compatible in terms of things like PI voltage.  Stay away from the 6BY5 though.  Enticing as it seems to cut 4 tubes down to 2 this thing is nothing but a buzzy, hummy pain in the ass.

Luckily there isn't even the option if you're doing 300B since the 6BY5 can't handle the voltage.  On paper it seemed ideal for a 45 or 2A3 amp.......... in practice, not so much.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #13,705 of 39,986

You are not alone Tony, welcome to the club!

Next time I get the urge to do something idiotic with my audio dollars I think I will just stab myself in the face with a fork instead.

That should be lot more fun and certainly less expensive
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #13,706 of 39,986
Tony, why can't you continue to get them replaced under warranty?

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #13,707 of 39,986
Tony, why can't you continue to get them replaced under warranty?

Because I don't want to continue to put 300B tubes with such abominable reliability in my amp. Both original tubes have failed in the first 100 hours - one failed @ 20 hours and the other @ 80 hours. One "runaway" and the other shorting. Only the lowered fuses of 250mA saved me from potentially damaging my amp (again). It's just not worth it.

While I am waiting on the Taks the EATs are doing a pretty good job. Not a lot of mid-range magic happening, but these are very fine tubes. Detailed, extended and quite pleasant.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #13,708 of 39,986
Look like we need a burner amp to stress these tubes to verify their reliability before using them on our precious.  I searched eBay and Amazon and cheapest are around 800 - 1000 shipped, still kinda expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back