2359glenn | studio
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #13,505 of 40,000
Not sure the PY500 brand is that much of a factor. Any tube can go bad and Telefunken hardly have a reputation for poor quality tubes.

Given the horrendous consequences I had with the rectifier failure I am playing it safe and using my RCAs for now.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #13,506 of 40,000
Glenn, with Khragon's amp almost complete, does that mean you are going to work on the EL3N amp project?  Or are you still waiting on parts?

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #13,507 of 40,000

Just checked the pair of PY500 that I have in my amp at the moment.....they both seem to warm up fairly evenly, the left channel is just a bit quicker than the left...not by much.

Hopefully not a concern in my OTL amp.  The construction of these are pretty sturdy looking.

I did give you a pair of US made RCAs with the amp I think.
Those look like Matsu****a should be OK with them. They used them in there Panasonic TVs.,You gave me a pair of RCA PY500 Glenn

Yes, you did give me a pair of PY500 RCA tubes Glenn

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #13,508 of 40,000
  Glenn, with Khragon's amp almost complete, does that mean you are going to work on the EL3N amp project?  Or are you still waiting on parts?

Yes I will be starting the EL3N amp have the transformers now.
Not sure when I will be finished maybe after I come back from Greece.
Probably will be finished before I leave so I would say a couple of weeks.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #13,509 of 40,000

Very cool news, thanks.

Is Greece a yearly trip for you?  I swear I remember reading here something about you being there before.  Is that when this thread gets flooded with food pics?

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #13,510 of 40,000
This often comes up but is not mentioned- tube amps offer pleasing harmonic distortion that ss do not as of yet.

For me it's all about glare or hardness in the sound.  Every SS amp I have ever heard has it to some degree.  I don't think 2nd order harmonic distortion hides glare.  I think there is something inherent in the old analog nature of tubes that, when implemented well with carefully selected components, is able to prevent it from happening.  Which is why I'm a tube guy even though I don't prefer a "tubey" sound.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #13,511 of 40,000

Enjoy your trip Glenn, and give our best regards to Stavros.  He doesn't come here anymore, but we still think about him.

If you want me to ear test this EL3N I'm ready and waiting.  :)  We'll see if it's reputation for sounding like a 45 is exaggeration or not.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #13,512 of 40,000
A tube guy who doesn't prefer tubey sound; I like it. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #13,514 of 40,000
  A tube guy who doesn't prefer tubey sound; I like it. 
beerchug.gif

I love good tone color, which is how some people define tubey.  I think of bloat when I think tubey which is why the term is less positive in my mind. 

I've come to think of tone balance and tone color in the same way one would think of color saturation and color gamut in display screens.  Hard to explain to folks who don't already understand what they both mean, but the relationship is almost exactly the same so it's a good analogy.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #13,515 of 40,000
I think I understand what you are saying especially with the help of colour analogy (I am a photographer so I understand something about colour :)). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back