2359glenn | studio
Oct 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #812 of 39,998
Quote:

I was surprised to read Xcalibur255 comment that the 5U8 was dynamic. In my system, both pre/post mod it has never been dynamic.   

Perhaps I should elaborate.  It has good dynamic range, some tubes compress large swings in dynamics and undermines their effect.  It does not handle dynamic transients well, including leading edges, which is why I call it lazy sounding.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #813 of 39,998
Quote:
Glenn,

Those tubes  LP2 and P250? are not very common that I can fine.

I have never seen these tubes before as far as I know rosgr63 and the person he got them from are
the only people that have them. I am making the amp with two B4 sockets for the LP2 and P250
and a octal socket so he can also use a 6SN7 or 12SN7. There will be a 6 volt / 12 volt switch
to run the 6SN7 or 12SN7 the LP2 and P250 run on 2 volts.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #814 of 39,998
The different custom build options being reported have me twisted - to knock over my remaining tea tins or get a job!
biggrin.gif
 I definitely want some more action from the studio...no doubt, world class.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #815 of 39,998
Quote:
Quote:

I was surprised to read Xcalibur255 comment that the 5U8 was dynamic. In my system, both pre/post mod it has never been dynamic.   

Perhaps I should elaborate.  It has good dynamic range, some tubes compress large swings in dynamics and undermines their effect.  It does not handle dynamic transients well, including leading edges, which is why I call it lazy sounding.

Now 
smiley_thumb.gif
 I understand. Thanks for stepping in...

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #816 of 39,998
*...poof!!...*

I'm just dropping in quick to show off some pictures. Sorry to keep everyone waiting, it has been a helluva past few day. Also, I was hurrying, so these are the first four pictures as taken from the iPhone 5 (I upgraded!!). Also included is the mess creeping across my desk!

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #818 of 39,998
Quote:
*...poof!!...*

I'm just dropping in quick to show off some pictures. Sorry to keep everyone waiting, it has been a helluva past few day. Also, I was hurrying, so these are the first four pictures as taken from the iPhone 5 (I upgraded!!). Also included is the mess creeping across my desk!

Aerial view --

Ohhh, wott a shot! Looks like NYC, baby!
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #819 of 39,998
That's a very nice looking amp.

I can see the 6AS7/5998 switch will you be running 5998's?

I can see the BIG Russian, such an impressive tube.

Regarding the Marconi Italiana LP2/P250, I have a friend Fabio who has a big stock of them, I don't know anything about them.
This was a project we started with Glenn to build the first ever audio amp that uses them.

I am very excited like a young lad getting ready for his first date.

Fabio will be ever so pleased.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #820 of 39,998
Based on what you and Glenn are able to produce with this arrangement, me and Fabio might have to have a lil' chat! 
evil_smiley.gif
 I'm on the side line pulling for you...and Glenn.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #821 of 39,998
Thanks SO.

I hope I'll like them.

If not it's back to the 6SN7 and 12SN7.
Glenn was very wise and suggested the 6SN7/12SN7 option as we don't have any user feedback about these tubes.

We don't know how they sound or what their life and reliability is.

If it wasn't for Glenn this project would have never started.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #822 of 39,998
The option to switch is at once brilliant and prudent! Glenn does it again...always have a Plan B. 

Update: Just purchased a NOS Sylvania 3DG4 rectifier from eBay. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #823 of 39,998
Glenn is brilliant and prudent. 

I never thought of this life saver option.

This is a complex amp, I don't know if any designers would be willing to face the challenge to design and build this amp.

BTW this is an old project which many builders refused to tackle until I asked Glenn to have a look at it.

Glenn was positive from day one and is making a dream come true.
I am very grateful.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #825 of 39,998
That's a very positive thought SO.

With the help of our friends why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back