2359glenn | studio
Oct 2, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #796 of 39,998
Quote:
That would be very evil........but I like it!

BTW have you decide which 12SN7 you are going for?
Lori is a first class seller.

Lori, a first class seller indeed. Very good with communication; getting back to people. Though, I'm tempted to ask for the story behind 'greengirl613.' 
popcorn.gif
 Let me guess, her commercial activity brings her lots of dollars (I've no idea!). 

In the last 10 days I spent $600 on two Japanese Pilot Falcon Elabo Metal Fountain pens & Japanese ink - Murasaki Shikibu, and discovered Saturday night I'm broke. 
ph34r.gif
 The Syl Chrome Domer looks tempting, though. I went to the market earlier this evening for groceries and managed to leave a few luxury snacks behind. I'm back with a surprise $50 - will look for another 3DG4, 12SN7 and make it work for me.

Also, I'm behind in my affairs - was going to report back on my amp post mod. I may now wait a week or so if I'm able to bring in another 3DG4. To date, pre-mod/post mod, I love the USAF-596 in the rear. Name a letter, number or attribute for the GE 3DG4, and the '596' got it covered. With the difference being the '596' returns slightly greater detail. Sound stage is about the same. And the Mighty 596 doesn't resort to any artificial shenanigans - sounds good, sounds real. 
wink.gif
 The Sylvania version could bring me a welcome choice. 

I'll quickly add that the Russian rocket has fallen back to earth, post mod. It no longer returns to super sized this, that and the other. It now sounds like an ordinary tube - not bad, not special either. I liken it to a star athlete that got busted for "Doping." Once back from suspension, having the hardest time separating from the competition that it formerly dominated. The 5U8 has it's place but for serious sessions, I've another rec...

While we all have different rigs, hear differently along with different preferences, I was surprised to read Xcalibur255 comment that the 5U8 was dynamic. In my system, both pre/post mod it has never been dynamic. 

On a different note, I may have figured out the delay behind wotts' debut pix. It is my nature to remain, well....silent.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #797 of 39,998
The rectifier war has started.

I like it.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #798 of 39,998
I am shamed to admit that I haven't tried my 596 yet.  I need to get that thing fired up.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #799 of 39,998
I feel left out.

A few "rectifier addicts" own this wonderful tube but me.

Must get my act together!

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #800 of 39,998
I was always intrigued by the 596, but right at the moment I don't really have an amp that will use one. It certainly is a cool looking tube, that's for sure!

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #801 of 39,998
How much noisier will the amp get if you fed the heaters with AC, any ideas?

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #802 of 39,998
For the type of amps mention here, Glenn uses AC for the tube heaters. DC work better for phone pre-amps when you really need low noise. AC has the advantage of more power for the power tube that are being used because you are heating the heaters more evenly and the cathode in turn will also have more uniform strong electron flow. Glenn voltage doubler adapter will only work with heaters that uses AC.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #805 of 39,998
Quote:
I was always intrigued by the 596, but right at the moment I don't really have an amp that will use one. It certainly is a cool looking tube, that's for sure!

This tube looks so good, it'd look right at home inside your amp...or the Paris catwalk during fashion week. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #807 of 39,998
Quote:
The rectifier war has started.

I like it.

In between lunch and laundry at this writing. But will begin looking for another rec later this afternoon. Having heard the OTL preamp out with the vintage Pioneer SX-D7000 amp, tomorrow night I want to flip it! And use the OTL's amp with the SX-D7000's preamp section. No expectations except perhaps, fun...

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #808 of 39,998
Quote:
I noticed on Ebay from a seller selling a set 6080WB tubes that states, Seller refurbished. I did not know if you can refurbished a tube!
confused_face_2.gif

John, Bruno my French tube guru, can remove a base, repair the electrodes and rebase the tube.

I had this work done by Jac van de Walle on some Tesla 6CC1 and 6CC10, who also rebased a pair of AVVT PX4 Mesh from B4 to UX4 bases.

But the seller must be a tube guru to do this work!

Here is a photo of Bruno's repair in progress.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #809 of 39,998
Quote:
For the type of amps mention here, Glenn uses AC for the tube heaters. DC work better for phone pre-amps when you really need low noise. AC has the advantage of more power for the power tube that are being used because you are heating the heaters more evenly and the cathode in turn will also have more uniform strong electron flow. Glenn voltage doubler adapter will only work with heaters that uses AC.

An amp with AC heaters would also run cooler, right?

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #810 of 39,998
Quote:
How much noisier will the amp get if you fed the heaters with AC, any ideas?

In most amps it doesn't matter if the tube heaters run on AC or DC except phono preamps. In the amp I am building for you the LP2 and P250s are
direct heated that type of tube the heater is the cathode so if run on AC it would inject 50/60 Hz into the cathode. I think these tubes were meant
to be run on battery's. It has been my experience that direct heated triodes SQ is far Superior to indirect heated triodes like the 6SN7. The SQ is
usually so much better that it is worth the PITA of making the DC supplies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back