2359glenn | studio
Oct 27, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #33,706 of 40,001
This is spot on. And it's what I look for most. I like details and soundstage and separation and space. But I don't get engaged by what I'm listening to because of that. I think it's the tone, timbre, timing, rhythm, realism that connect with me on an emotional level. And GOTL (with Aeolus and Hugo2) bring that each time I have listened so far. I like that it lets me forget what tubes are in the slots and just enjoy music.
You said it much better than me!
The interesting thing is that we have completely different ancillary equipment and yet react the same way.

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #33,708 of 40,001
Have started making my way back through my 6J5 collection. This GOTL modification has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for these tubes and it is nice seeing them in their own sockets. Just might grab a few pairs that have been on my wishlist for a long time :) they will look better in my amp.

Here we have the MOV L63 and Western Electric 421A. This is my other pair of L63, completely unmarked and in original brown military boxes. The interior coating is THICK, no light can penetrate its magical innards (I have tried). I love this tube, it is the inspiration for my ongoing MH4 exploration, its predecessor.

I will be using those drivers for Sydney end of next year with mainly KT66, EL34 and 6L6. Maybe KT77.

GEC KT88 is too expensive. The tubes are waiting for me but I may not buy it.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #33,709 of 40,001
Single GEC 6as7g arrived today and I used it in combination with a RCA 6as7g. :) Pure silence. No noise at all !!! Beautiful tone of this monarch tube. Truly legendary stuff. Now to get the other pair home.

IMG-4172.jpg

IMG-4173.jpg

IMG-4174.jpg

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #33,710 of 40,001
Single GEC 6as7g arrived today and I used it in combination with a RCA 6as7g. :) Pure silence. No noise at all !!! Beautiful tone of this monarch tube. Truly legendary stuff. Now to get the other pair home.

That is the beauty of them pure silence no worries about pops blowing your phones.
The only other 6AS7 I will use now is the NEC 6AS7s @L0rdGwyn gave me they are perfectly quiet too.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #33,711 of 40,001
Have started making my way back through my 6J5 collection. This GOTL modification has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for these tubes and it is nice seeing them in their own sockets. Just might grab a few pairs that have been on my wishlist for a long time :) they will look better in my amp.

Here we have the MOV L63 and Western Electric 421A. This is my other pair of L63, completely unmarked and in original brown military boxes. The interior coating is THICK, no light can penetrate its magical innards (I have tried). I love this tube, it is the inspiration for my ongoing MH4 exploration, its predecessor.

Looks wonderful....those L63 tubes look the part besides sounding good.
I wish the yamamoto sockets came in black.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #33,712 of 40,001
That is the beauty of them pure silence no worries about pops blowing your phones.
The only other 6AS7 I will use now is the NEC 6AS7s @L0rdGwyn gave me they are perfectly quiet too.

I'm still enjoying the GEC 6as7g out of the WA22. Too lazy to swap out the sextet 6bx7 from GOTL. Then I realised that I'm still running one RCA and one GEC 6as7g in the WA22...... and it sounded good lol.

I can't wait to get the pair back from Monster. It's a perfect pair that I bought from Stavros !

Attachments

• MOV A1834 Pair Brown Curved Bases Cup Getters (1).pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #33,713 of 40,001
Hello @Ramenik, welcome !

I'm going to answer your PM to me on the open forum because I know there will be others who will be asking the same questions. So I hope to answer these questions for the sake of other prospective Glenn OTL amp buyers at the same time.

I'd like to quote your message if it's ok with you because A) you're a Singaporean (my fellow countryman) B) you're very sincere and courteous. I'm touched. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am Ramenik, a new headfi member and just getting into personal hifi.

Sorry for messaging you seemingly out of the blue like this lol. The reason I am writing this is because I hoped that you will be able to help me if I decided to get a Glenn otl, given your expertise in tubes. There are alot of information in the Glenn studios thread and a little overwhelming for a novice tube user like me.

I am in the process of moving from a stereo speakers setup to a desktop system due to family reasons (baby and a second one coming). Most likely getting a pair of aeolus or Verite after auditioning them last weekend. I have also talked to Glenn, but would like to talk to others with experiences with his amp.

I am just very confused over the different tube types, tubes and socket configuration etc. So would like to ask if you have any suggestions on the configuration to go for as a first time tube user like me. For example Glenn has asked me if I wanted one 6sn7 or two 6j5 and I was like ???. I would want the voltage switch for cheaper tubes, gold point volume, Jupiter capacitors and lundahl transformer that he suggested though.

Sorry for being so long winded lol. As I am diving in head first into this hobby, I hope to get my first steps right.

Thanks for reading!

Best regards,
Ramenik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will get to the point. Since you ask me, I'll give you my opinion. It's mine and I make no apology if it defers from others here because there is only one UntilThen who will soon become The End. :)

This is my recommendation:-

Glenn Super 9 OTL amplifier. Here is a picture.
20171212_182555.jpg

Configuration:-

• 6 x 6BL7 or 2 / 4 x 6as7 or 2 x 6336 as power tubes
  • 2 x L63 / 6J5 / 6C5 / 12J5
  • 6.3 or 12.6 volts switch
  • Tube rectifier
  • 5998 boost switch - FORGET ABOUT THIS. 5998 will still sound good without it and you'll save $100.
  • Lundahl transformer
  • Jupiters caps
  • Gold Point 47 steps attenuator
  1. The first single socket is for your tube rectifier.
  2. The next 2 sockets are for your 2 x L63 or 6J5 or 6C5 or 12J5 drivers.
  3. The last 6 sockets are for your 6 x 6BX7 or 6BL7 power tubes. Or you can use 2 x 6as7g or 6080 as power tubes. Or you can use 2 x Cetron 6336b as power tubes.

Final approval by Glenn because I don't know if the tube rectifier in that front and centre position is doable ? If it is, then this is the GOTL that I would want if I have to order again because it would be BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than Mona Lisa. :ksc75smile:

Cheers
UT

PS: This configuration will use cheap drivers and equally cheap power tubes too.

For a start,

Get a pair of GEC L63 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L63-CV1...m48a5d41812:g:BK8AAOSwH7ZdeoEt&frcectupt=true

Get a pair of power tubes. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATCHED...m1cc88ded27:g:bJwAAOSw3NpcVElH&frcectupt=true

Ask Glenn to help you to get 6 x 6BX7 or 6BL7

Ask Glenn to supply you with one tube rectifier to start off with.

Lastly, after you get your amp, ask me or the others here any questions on what other tubes to get but go slow and just enjoy the music ... and the babies. Being a Dad, I know what it's like. You may have to share your headphones with the babies. :)

Lastly, finally and definitely, wait patiently for your GOTL. Good luck.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #33,714 of 40,001
Hello @Ramenik, welcome !

I'm going to answer your PM to me on the open forum because I know there will be others who will be asking the same questions. So I hope to answer these questions for the sake of other prospective Glenn OTL amp buyers at the same time.

I'd like to quote your message if it's ok with you because A) you're a Singaporean (my fellow countryman) B) you're very sincere and courteous. I'm touched. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am Ramenik, a new headfi member and just getting into personal hifi.

Sorry for messaging you seemingly out of the blue like this lol. The reason I am writing this is because I hoped that you will be able to help me if I decided to get a Glenn otl, given your expertise in tubes. There are alot of information in the Glenn studios thread and a little overwhelming for a novice tube user like me.

I am in the process of moving from a stereo speakers setup to a desktop system due to family reasons (baby and a second one coming). Most likely getting a pair of aeolus or Verite after auditioning them last weekend. I have also talked to Glenn, but would like to talk to others with experiences with his amp.

I am just very confused over the different tube types, tubes and socket configuration etc. So would like to ask if you have any suggestions on the configuration to go for as a first time tube user like me. For example Glenn has asked me if I wanted one 6sn7 or two 6j5 and I was like ???. I would want the voltage switch for cheaper tubes, gold point volume, Jupiter capacitors and lundahl transformer that he suggested though.

Sorry for being so long winded lol. As I am diving in head first into this hobby, I hope to get my first steps right.

Thanks for reading!

Best regards,
Ramenik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will get to the point. Since you ask me, I'll give you my opinion. It's mine and I make no apology if it defers from others here because there is only one UntilThen who will soon become The End. :)

This is my recommendation:-

Glenn Super 9 OTL amplifier. Here is a picture.

Configuration:-

• 6 x 6BL7 or 2 / 4 x 6as7 or 2 x 6336 as power tubes
  • 2 x L63 / 6J5 / 6C5 / 12J5
  • 6.3 or 12.6 volts switch
  • Tube rectifier
  • 5998 boost switch - FORGET ABOUT THIS. 5998 will still sound good without it and you'll save $100.
  • Lundahl transformer
  • Jupiters caps
  • Gold Point 47 steps attenuator
  1. The first single socket is for your tube rectifier.
  2. The next 2 sockets are for your 2 x L63 or 6J5 or 6C5 or 12J5 drivers.
  3. The last 6 sockets are for your 6 x 6BX7 or 6BL7 power tubes. Or you can use 2 x 6as7g or 6080 as power tubes. Or you can use 2 x Cetron 6336b as power tubes.
Final approval by Glenn because I don't know if the tube rectifier in that front and centre position is doable ? If it is, then this is the GOTL that I would want if I have to order again because it would be BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than Mona Lisa. :ksc75smile:

Cheers
UT

PS: This configuration will use cheap drivers and equally cheap power tubes too.

For a start,

Get a pair of GEC L63 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L63-CV1...m48a5d41812:g:BK8AAOSwH7ZdeoEt&frcectupt=true

Get a pair of power tubes. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATCHED...m1cc88ded27:g:bJwAAOSw3NpcVElH&frcectupt=true

Ask Glenn to help you to get 6 x 6BX7 or 6BL7

Ask Glenn to supply you with one tube rectifier to start off with.

Lastly, after you get your amp, ask me or the others here any questions on what other tubes to get but go slow and just enjoy the music ... and the babies. Being a Dad, I know what it's like. You may have to share your headphones with the babies. :)

Lastly, finally and definitely, wait patiently for your GOTL. Good luck.

Nice suggestions, M. Wow, 6J5 sockets now becoming the standard? The winds of change are a-blowin'. My only reservation is that means no 6N7 or ECC32, just something to consider.

@Ramenik feel free to ask questions in the thread, I am sure I speak for all when I say we are happy to help :)

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #33,716 of 40,001
wow thanks for introducing me to the community @UntilThen. really appreciate it as the first steps are always the hardest :blush:. Will take me awhile to digest all the information available in this thread. Something to think about until glenn can start on the amp.

Before getting something, i usually like to research deeply and know what i am getting into before committing. think maybe it has something to do with my engineering background? :laughing: However, this tube thing is really beyond me with all the many different tubes and its purposes. So apologies to all in advance if i come across as relentless or excessively pertinacious.

@L0rdGwyn and @UntilThen I think glenn has mentioned that he is using 2 x 6j5 instead of one 6ns7 as well. In fact, he mentioned that he is using the gec l63 that you recommended as well. can anybody enlighten me on the pros and cons between the two? i know 6j5 is just half of a 6ns7 so any difference might be tubes cost or longevity? on another similar note, is 6 x 6bx7 and 2 x 6as7g power tubes different in terms of sonics?

From my limited research, an extremely simplified demonstration of the otl amp is as follows: power from the socket goes into the transformer, ac rectified by rectifier stage to become dc, signal 'prepared' or preamped by driver tubes and then amplified and changed into ac by power tubes? Therefore, there are usually three classes of tubes, mainly rectifier, driver (preamp or input) and power (output). Please correct me if i am wrong.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #33,717 of 40,001
@L0rdGwyn,

What did you change the bias resistor from/to on your 6J5 socket surgery?

1 Kohm 1/2W

@L0rdGwyn[/USER] and @UntilThen I think glenn has mentioned that he is using 2 x 6j5 instead of one 6ns7 as well. In fact, he mentioned that he is using the gec l63 that you recommended as well. can anybody enlighten me on the pros and cons between the two? i know 6j5 is just half of a 6ns7 so any difference might be tubes cost or longevity? on another similar note, is 6 x 6bx7 and 2 x 6as7g power tubes different in terms of sonics?

Yes, Glenn is using 6J5, however he was using single triode #27 tubes before, so that is most likely why he switched to another single triode tube, he didn't change his amp from a 6SN7 to 6J5. The jury is still out as far as sonic performance between 6J5 and 6SN7. I think there is a sonic benefit to the 6J5, others have said they hear no difference. Both tubes are still widely available, but the 6J5 has the advantage when it comes to cost as of right now, I have a feeling it will not last.

The typical setup for input tubes before the 6J5 came to prominence was a single 6SN7 socket with the 6/12/25V switch and a pair of C3g sockets. In the 6SN7 socket, other double triode tubes like the 6N7/ECC31 (with adapter) and ECC32/33/35 can be used. In the C3g sockets, other pentode tubes like the EL3N, EL11, EL8, and EL32 can be used with adapters.

So, if you go with the 6J5 setup, you will lose some flexibility in terms of tube rolling; only 6J5, 6C5, and 6P5 will be usable in these sockets. I haven't investigated what other single triodes can be used with adapters yet.

In terms of the power tubes, many enjoy the 6x 6BX7 over the 2x 6AS7, there is definitely a difference in sonics, just a matter of preference. With the six output socket setup, you can use either, so I would go for that if you prioritize maximum flexibility.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #33,718 of 40,001
1 Kohm 1/2W

Yes, Glenn is using 6J5, however he was using single triode #27 tubes before, so that is most likely why he switched to another single triode tube, he didn't change his amp from a 6SN7 to 6J5. The jury is still out as far as sonic performance between 6J5 and 6SN7. I think there is a sonic benefit to the 6J5, others have said they hear no difference. Both tubes are still widely available, but the 6J5 has the advantage when it comes to cost as of right now, I have a feeling it will not last.

The typical setup for input tubes before the 6J5 came to prominence was a single 6SN7 socket with the 6/12/25V switch and a pair of C3g sockets. In the 6SN7 socket, other double triode tubes like the 6N7/ECC31 (with adapter) and ECC32/33/35 can be used. In the C3g sockets, other pentode tubes like the EL3N, EL11, EL8, and EL32 can be used with adapters.

So, if you go with the 6J5 setup, you will lose some flexibility in terms of tube rolling; only 6J5, 6C5, and 6P5 will be usable in these sockets. I haven't investigated what other single triodes can be used with adapters yet.

In terms of the power tubes, many enjoy the 6x 6BX7 over the 2x 6AS7, there is definitely a difference in sonics, just a matter of preference. With the six output socket setup, you can use either, so I would go for that if you prioritize maximum flexibility.

You can get a 6J5 to EL3N adapter I have a pair or to any of those other pentodes

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #33,719 of 40,001
Nice suggestions, M. Wow, 6J5 sockets now becoming the standard? The winds of change are a-blowin'. My only reservation is that means no 6N7 or ECC32, just something to consider.

@Ramenik feel free to ask questions in the thread, I am sure I speak for all when I say we are happy to help :)

Why no ECC32 or 6N7 they would go in the 6SN7 socket??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back