2359glenn | studio
Oct 27, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #33,691 of 40,001
UT do keep in mind our trusted tube maker did say that tubes don't make as big a difference in the final sound with OTC amps being the Lundahl transformer is in the final signal. So my personal recommendation would be to save your wallet (and for God's sake the tube supply LOL), and just go with maybe 2 different sets of drivers / powers to see how it goes first.

I also got two of those Sylvania 6C5GT - the one with yellow lettering which was said on another forum to be the best sounding. These do have a very unique looking internal construction too with the sort of coiled metal plate of sorts, and something tells me these will need extra burn-in.

I humbly disagree because in my SET Studio Six, tubes makes quite a difference. :)

So I will buy up quad of everything lol. It’s kind of imbalance. The drivers are so cheap and the power tubes cost Santa his job.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #33,692 of 40,001
I will give @UntilThen first crack at these.
Im going to sell my GEC 6AS7Gs. Ive put maybe twenty hours tops on them since getting them from Matt. It pains me to sell them but none of my other gear is selling and I need the funds to purchase my server.

$500.00 to me.

If nobody from this thread wants them I will post them in the classifieds. I can snap photos if needed.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #33,693 of 40,001
I will give @UntilThen first crack at these.
Im going to sell my GEC 6AS7Gs. Ive put maybe twenty hours tops on them since getting them from Matt. It pains me to sell them but none of my other gear is selling and I need the funds to purchase my server.

$500.00 to me.

If nobody from this thread wants them I will post them in the classifieds. I can snap photos if needed.

Come back to Daddy, my baby GEC 6as7g (s).

I’ll be speaking to you in PM after work D.

For returning my babies to me, I will hook you up for a NOS pair of Marconi KT66 smoke glass unused virgin tubes. Again we will talk in PM after work which is 8 hours from now.

Cheers
UT

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #33,697 of 40,001
Mordy I’ve never think of tubes as an investment option. If you had the foresight and bought a thousand of GEC 6as7g 20 years ago then yeah....

I wanted a complete set of the prominent 6as7g and 6080. Only the WE 421a is missing but I won’t chase that now.... because I’ve a bucket load of tubes I will be accumulating over the course of one year for ‘Sydney’.

and out of the blue, something else is surfacing on the horizon....

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #33,698 of 40,001
Mordy I’ve never think of tubes as an investment option. If you had the foresight and bought a thousand of GEC 6as7g 20 years ago then yeah....

I wanted a complete set of the prominent 6as7g and 6080. Only the WE 421a is missing but I won’t chase that now.... because I’ve a bucket load of tubes I will be accumulating over the course of one year for ‘Sydney’.

and out of the blue, something else is surfacing on the horizon....
HeadAmp-BlueHawaii-SE-Satin-Blue.jpg

?
BTW, what happened to the Australian chap that bought up the remaining Mullard production some 50 years ago and wanted to sell it as a lot for some $40,000+?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #33,699 of 40,001
Interpol is after him so he’s in hiding.

Whenever I think of Blue Hawaii and Stax SR-009, I think of the Pink Panther song I heard on it. It was the best Pink Panther ever !!!

But I need something more suitable for ‘Smoke On The Water’ and Tchaikovsky 1812 overtures.

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #33,700 of 40,001
Have started making my way back through my 6J5 collection. This GOTL modification has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for these tubes and it is nice seeing them in their own sockets. Just might grab a few pairs that have been on my wishlist for a long time :) they will look better in my amp.

Here we have the MOV L63 and Western Electric 421A. This is my other pair of L63, completely unmarked and in original brown military boxes. The interior coating is THICK, no light can penetrate its magical innards (I have tried). I love this tube, it is the inspiration for my ongoing MH4 exploration, its predecessor.

DSCF5492.jpg

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #33,701 of 40,001
Have started making my way back through my 6J5 collection. This GOTL modification has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for these tubes and it is nice seeing them in their own sockets. Just might grab a few pairs that have been on my wishlist for a long time :) they will look better in my amp.

Here we have the MOV L63 and Western Electric 421A. This is my other pair of L63, completely unmarked and in original brown military boxes. The interior coating is THICK, no light can penetrate its magical innards (I have tried). I love this tube, it is the inspiration for my ongoing MH4 exploration, its predecessor.

Congrats on the successful surgery. You're brave to take that on, and it's been nice to enjoy watching the process from a distance :). I keep looking over at the GOTL here and wondering if I would ever open it up.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #33,702 of 40,001
As far as I am concerned I am amazed at the proficiency of LG - I would not dream of opening up my amp or undertake any changes. Wow!
At the same time I am thinking to myself that I am very happy with the amp, and it is enough for me to change the sound by rolling tubes....
My feeling is that the GOTL conveys the emotions of the music in a great way in addition to great reproduction of the music, and it brings me much happiness to listen to it.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #33,703 of 40,001
My feeling is that the GOTL conveys the emotions of the music in a great way in addition to great reproduction of the music, and it brings me much happiness to listen to it.

This is spot on. And it's what I look for most. I like details and soundstage and separation and space. But I don't get engaged by what I'm listening to because of that. I think it's the tone, timbre, timing, rhythm, realism that connect with me on an emotional level. And GOTL (with Aeolus and Hugo2) bring that each time I have listened so far. I like that it lets me forget what tubes are in the slots and just enjoy music.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #33,704 of 40,001

You did a stunning job, LG!! Big congrats!

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #33,705 of 40,001
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen :) very happy to have found this thread, I have learned a great deal and been inspired by its members to learn even more. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back