2359glenn | studio
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #33,106 of 39,998
That's a bit over-generalizing. What I was saying generally was that specs / materials of the equipment is what makes synergy happen rather than brands of the equipment. Specifically what I was saying on the better part of my post you omitted was that I hold to the opinion that a headphone's syngery with tubes of an OTL tube amp has more to do with the headphone impedance in relation to the specifications of the used, and results can vary depending on if it's open or closed, rather than the brand of the headphone or other gear. We do all agree that tubes affect headphone pairings with OTL amps, and one user said it can even vary within the same brand.
Hi DL,
Personally I have not found any way of predicting how any headphone/tube combination will sound - by me it is all trial and error. And from the very limited experience I have, there is a possibility that certain brands exhibit similar characteristics with similar type headphones of that brand ("house sound").

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #33,107 of 39,998
Yeah, trial and error is the way I've always fond the best pairings between specific headphone / tube combos; 'by ear' which I tried to say in the original reply. It's almost like a symbiotic relationship between the two in order to get synergy.
And that's interesting as pointed out by Glenn that tubes don't impact synergy with headphones as much on OTC amps as with OTL because of the final transfo. impacting the end result. Makes me wonder if I don't have to chase tubes as much if they may not impact the sound as much with an OTC amp. Anyway I'll order at least a few more pairs then see after I get mine.

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #33,108 of 39,998
Decided to try a triple driver set up for fun. Have read that the C3g is very transparent.. I have a pair of Siemens and Telefunken/Siemens, as well as a pair of the Lorenz C3g. Picked the Lorenz set to pair with a Melz 5 hole metal base 6sn7.

HD6xx isn't one of my fav headphones, but it actually sounds good now...

Right-o Usopp, agree! Sennheisers love the driver triplet. EL32 and EL11 also enhance in this way. Appreciate your giving it a whirl.

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #33,109 of 39,998
it's in the background of the shot with the NU 6SN7 tube :wink:

I see it now. :) I have also decided to get the cheapest DAC I can find for my home in Sydney for when I go home for visit like this weekend. So I look at the local classified and the cheapest DAC is $100 for a Topping 10 DAC..... can't complain much at that price. So that's what I'm getting tmr. :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #33,111 of 39,998
I see it now. :) I have also decided to get the cheapest DAC I can find for my home in Sydney for when I go home for visit like this weekend. So I look at the local classified and the cheapest DAC is $100 for a Topping 10 DAC..... can't complain much at that price. So that's what I'm getting tmr. :)

I just threw up into my mouth a little bit...☠

Give the guy a break! After buying 3 amps, he has no money left for a DAC... :wink:

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #33,112 of 39,998
Folks,
You should know by now that UT likes to make practical jokes - I bet you all fell for it, hook, line and sinker!

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #33,114 of 39,998
Oct 18, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #33,116 of 39,998
Folks,
You should know by now that UT likes to make practical jokes - I bet you all fell for it, hook, line and sinker!

The funniest part is it’s not a joke. The last trip home I have nothing to listen with so I use my wife’s Sennheiser Momentum IEM driven by Bose Companion 5 !!!!

So this trip I unplug the WA22 because it’s at the top of the rack and easy to take along. Pack my Verite into the seahorse case and jump into my CRV and I’m off !!!

2 days back in Sydney and I come home every few weeks. So I guess my ears can withstand the Topping 10 onslaught for the odd occasions back home. :)

Thinking of buying a motor cross bike to ride with my friends in the bush so some compromises will have to be made with the 2nd DAC !

When I’m done with the Topping I will trade it with Monster for his Lamprizator. :ksc75smile:

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #33,117 of 39,998
You can count me as a total fan of the 6J5s. Those three lead filled beauties arrived a few days ago,but the adapter just came in today.
Better air,much better separation,better upper mid/treble definition and oddly,harder slam than the VT231....and completely dead silent. :)

You want air try and get some GEC L63 shouldered smoke glass these are the airest drivers I have.
And use nothing else at this point. But planing on getting some metal 6J5s for $4 each and see how they sound.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #33,118 of 39,998
I just found my fav combo for my Verite. Haven't tried EL type tubes nor do I have adaptors or any EL tubes, so with the C3g and other tubes that I own -

IMG_20191018_164754.jpg

Brimar tall bottle black glass 6sn7
2x Lorenz C3g
2x TS 6BX7GT
4x Sylvania 6BX7GT
WE422A

Detail, body, smoothness... Lovely sound that the amp is feeding my Verite this evening. Got here by way of taking out the Melz 5-hole tube and trying Ken Rad VT231... Bad combo with the C3g lol.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #33,119 of 39,998
You want air try and get some GEC L63 shouldered smoke glass these are the airest drivers I have.
And use nothing else at this point. But planing on getting some metal 6J5s for $4 each and see how they sound.

These and the Mullard ECC32 are my most used drivers. I rotate in some of the other great 6J5s, but the GEC are so well-rounded and effortless, they have spent the most time in my amp so far. Going to get back in touch with my Fivre 6C5G when my adapter gets back today.

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #33,120 of 39,998
I have wazzupi's Sylvania 6SN7W metal base that I would like to sell. There is a crack in the base and it does have some noise at baseline, a hum that is dependent on the gain of the output tubes. With 6AS7G or 6080, it is barely audible with no music playing. With 6BX7 or other higher gain output tubes, it is more clearly audible with no music playing, you may be able to hear it when very quiet music plays with high gain tubes, like classical. Any music of moderate volume, it cannot be heard.

If anyone wants it, send me an offer, will let it go for a good price since it is a little noisy. It tests very well though, 110% emission for both sections, no shorts. Otherwise, it goes to the classifieds, then eBay! Figured I'd ask here first :)

IMAG1073.jpg IMAG1074.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back