2359glenn | studio
Aug 17, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #28,741 of 39,986
Thanks for this. That note on 5U4G rectifier -
OK when running 6BX7 or 6BL7 (2, 4 or 6 tubes) but not other output tubes!

Can someone explain to me why this is so.
I do not remember exactly, but from now on, when I quote Glenn in my table or notes section - I will add the source post # for future reference! :nerd:

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #28,742 of 39,986
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #28,748 of 39,986
Both had been used over 500 hrs and well opened up. You should get them.

JK

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #28,750 of 39,986
I just learned some amp can act like a magic machine, tubes will improve after hundred of hours usage. Very nice!!
Hi attmci,
When I started tube rolling some ten years ago I was very skeptical about so called burn in. However, over time I have been convinced that it is true, both about electronics in general and tubes in particular.
Different tubes require different burn in time - perhaps the longest takes with tubes that do not get hot in use such as the EL3N, EL11, EL32 etc with upwards of 400 hours for some.
Many tubes seem to stabilize after 30-50 hours in my experience.
To my surprise, solid state equipment may need time as well to sound their best. I just got a Jotenheim from the St company (don't worry, I haven't defected to the ss camp - somebody gave it to me), and it needs several days of staying on until it sounds it's best. Maybe it is something about stabilizing the operating temperature - I just don't know. All I know is that it sounds better after being on for a while; something that has been corroborated by others.
I aware that there are people who claim that the tubes sound the way they sound right away and that the sound does not change, but this has not been my personal experience.
Come to think about it, I am questioning people that roll new tubes in rapid succession and then instantly proclaim which one sounds the best. As far as I am concerned, it takes quite a long time to formulate an opinion, especially if the tubes sound similar to each other.
I have even read about people who claim that all tubes sound the same which just proves that we hear things differently. IMHO there is plenty of room for all opinions - the main thing is to enjoy the music......

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #28,751 of 39,986
Hi attmci,
When I started tube rolling some ten years ago I was very skeptical about so called burn in. However, over time I have been convinced that it is true, both about electronics in general and tubes in particular.
Different tubes require different burn in time - perhaps the longest takes with tubes that do not get hot in use such as the EL3N, EL11, EL32 etc with upwards of 400 hours for some.
Many tubes seem to stabilize after 30-50 hours in my experience.
To my surprise, solid state equipment may need time as well to sound their best. I just got a Jotenheim from the St company (don't worry, I haven't defected to the ss camp - somebody gave it to me), and it needs several days of staying on until it sounds it's best. Maybe it is something about stabilizing the operating temperature - I just don't know. All I know is that it sounds better after being on for a while; something that has been corroborated by others.
I aware that there are people who claim that the tubes sound the way they sound right away and that the sound does not change, but this has not been my personal experience.
Come to think about it, I am questioning people that roll new tubes in rapid succession and then instantly proclaim which one sounds the best. As far as I am concerned, it takes quite a long time to formulate an opinion, especially if the tubes sound similar to each other.
I have even read about people who claim that all tubes sound the same which just proves that we hear things differently. IMHO there is plenty of room for all opinions - the main thing is to enjoy the music......

Have you ever read around in the Sound Science section of this forum? If you have then you know that all;
DACs
Amps
Cables
Inter-connects

Sound absolutely the same,and tubes,oh my god! The bane of audio equipment. All tubes do is add distortion to the sound,therefor are trash.
Burn-in? Are you kidding?!? The only thing burning-in is your brain.

Yeah,I read over there when im bored out of mind just to see how delusional these sound scientists clearly are,

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #28,753 of 39,986
Have you ever read around in the Sound Science section of this forum? If you have then you know that all;
DACs
Amps
Cables
Inter-connects

Sound absolutely the same,and tubes,oh my god! The bane of audio equipment. All tubes do is add distortion to the sound,therefor are trash.

Yeah,I read over there when im bored out of mind just to see how delusional these sound scientists clearly are,
Hi Monsterzero,
Have you ever met people that have no sense of humor? You tell them the funniest joke and they just look at you - they simply don't get it.
I can accept this.
And therefore I can accept that there are people that cannot hear any differences between different pieces of equipment. One upside is that they are happy with a set of $1.99 earbuds and their cellphone for music.....
Sometimes I wonder who is better off...
But no, I would never want to trade - so much enjoyment from listening to music........and........listening to your equipment lol........

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #28,754 of 39,986
DACs
Amps
Cables
Inter-connects

It's funny, I'm having a related discussion on the Crack thread on global negative feedback, tube vs. solid-state sound, etc. I'm personally trying to reconcile these two sides, trusting some measurements, but also my ears, it cannot be all one or the other.

I think right now, there are some things that cannot be measured. For example, one Head-Fier on the Crack thread with an engineering background built a 6080-based SRPP output stage amp with global negative feedback built in, but found that removing the feedback resulted in more holographic imaging. No doubt that without the feedback, the distortion and output impedance were higher. So how do the measurements explain that? How do you measure holographic imaging? How do you measure enjoyment?

I will get off my soap box after saying, I think more important than this debate is to be kind, I've seen some really ugly interactions between audiophiles who disagree on these points. Keep an open mind and enjoy the music!

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #28,755 of 39,986
Hi Monsterzero,
Have you ever met people that have no sense of humor? You tell them the funniest joke and they just look at you - they simply don't get it.
I can accept this.
And therefore I can accept that there are people that cannot hear any differences between different pieces of equipment. One upside is that they are happy with a set of $1.99 earbuds and their cellphone for music.....
Sometimes I wonder who is better off...
But no, I would never want to trade - so much enjoyment from listening to music........and........listening to your equipment lol........

Well,we all hear differently,this is true. Further the subjective nature of what sounds 'good' varies from person to person. I get that too.
The difference with the members that haunt that area is the group think mentality they have,and have watched from afar how a person who has a different opinion then they do gets attacked,usually with graphs and electrical mumbo jumbo,or referencing some obscure doctoral thesis done in Romania in 1957.
Like much of this planet,I see very little civil discourse going on over there.

We had 'one of those' pop into the HEDDphone thread who proceeded to inform us that all amps sound identical and anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot. I have no patience for these types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back