2359glenn | studio
Jul 24, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #27,841 of 39,994
We made our first trip to Playhouse Square about 8 years ago and the wife and I fell in love with it and have been going back ever since for a weekend, usually to take in a concert, then have a few cocktails afterwards and then spend the night at one of the hotels.
the layout is just so cool as we love that we can park the car at the hotel and take off on foot.

When are you expecting your amp ?

Look forward to hearing your impressions of it.

It should be in the mail either tomorrow or Friday. I am thinking I will get it on Monday, but if it came on Saturday I would be absolutely ecstatic. Can't wait to jam out with the Auteur, Atticus, and HD650. I think my Bottlehead amp is going to be moved to full time vinyl duty and the GOTL will become my main digital amplifier.

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #27,842 of 39,994
No GOTL yet, but I did get some more tubes, a nice pair of Italian Sicte 6J5GT. These have pleasant sound, very resolving, and you of course get the fashionable Italian labels. Once it has settled in, I am going to a do a little shootout of the 6J5s I have collected in the GOTL. Bold statement, but so far, I am finding the 6J5s I have easily compete with the best of the 6SN7s. I wonder if there is some inherent advantage to having the two triodes in separate glass. Less crosstalk perhaps? I don't know, but they sound really good.

IMAG0678-2.jpg

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #27,843 of 39,994
That is a great looking adapter by Deyan.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #27,844 of 39,994
That is a great looking adapter by Deyan.

It really is, I am a sucker for looks in audio gear. Some of the Chinese-made 6J5 to 6SN7 adapters I've seen around are a little...aesthetically challenged. Deyan's is pretty much flush with the socket on the bottom, I like the minimalist look at the fact that it does not stand out, it will just blend in with the style of the amp. I got a look at the one Deyan made for @leftside and pulled the trigger. It also rotates 180 degrees in either direction so you can align it how you like or fit it into tightish spaces.

Thanks again, Deyan!

Compare it to this:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #27,845 of 39,994
It really is, I am a sucker for looks in audio gear. Some of the Chinese-made 6J5 to 6SN7 adapters I've seen around are a little...aesthetically challenged. Deyan's is pretty much flush with the socket on the bottom, I like the minimalist look at the fact that it does not stand out, it will just blend in with the style of the amp. I got a look at the one Deyan made for @leftside and pulled the trigger. It also rotates 180 degrees in either direction so you can align it how you like or fit it into tightish spaces.

Thanks again, Deyan!

Compare it to this:

Glad you like it. All the extra work and the hype surrounding the adapters really helps a lot.

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #27,847 of 39,994
I keep coming back to the older flat-black embossed Lorenz C3g. And I especially enjoy these with a fairly bright rectifier.

This evening with four Tung-Sol 6BX7GT and a mesh-plate Loewe Radio AZ12.

I really like the Loewe Radio AZ12 rectifier in the GEL3N amp, great sound from this old rectifier not to mentioned it looks great too! I think the Telefunken AZ12 is brighter yet, but I prefer the Loewe Radio over the Telefunken..
I lost a Lorenz C3g and need to replace it, just lost all sound.

I just rolled in the TSBGRP 6F8G this morning. to my ears they are very similar to 6 and 12 volt SN7 tubes.
I know some people report that the 6F8G can be noisy but mine are all quiet and the sound from top to bottom is right up their as one of my favorites.
Hard to find fault with it honestly.

DSC02869.JPG

I am listening to JB play a Gary Moore cover of Midnight Blues.
Not as good as Gary's....but heavenly non the less.

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #27,848 of 39,994
I was asked about using a 5U4G in the OTL this was my answer
I said this in the past but most have forgot

OK
one 6AS7 draws 120ma so two draw 240ma and about 30 for the 6SN7 = 270ma
But it is worse the rectifier has to also recharge the filter capacitors.
When the rectifier turns AC to DC it comes out as pulses when the AC sign wave is at 0 there is nothing
coming out of the rectifier. So the amp is running off the charge on the filter capacitors.
This has to be replaced when the sign wave comes back up.
I can go into a lot of detail on this but most won't understand.
the current will be well over 300ma

The Amp was designed to run with a 3DG4 or 5AU4 that can handle 350ma. Really the 3DG4 lower voltage drop
I don't know what people think of the SQ of these tubes but the amp was made to run on them.
Most or all other rectifier tubes are being cooked running in this amp when running 6AS7s worse if running 6336.
OK when running 6BX7 or 6BL7 a 5U4 will be OK

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #27,849 of 39,994
I was asked about using a 5U4G in the OTL this was my answer
I said this in the past but most have forgot

OK
one 6AS7 draws 120ma so two draw 240ma and about 30 for the 6SN7 = 270ma
But it is worse the rectifier has to also recharge the filter capacitors.
When the rectifier turns AC to DC it comes out as pulses when the AC sign wave is at 0 there is nothing
coming out of the rectifier. So the amp is running off the charge on the filter capacitors.
This has to be replaced when the sign wave comes back up.
I can go into a lot of detail on this but most won't understand.
the current will be well over 300ma

The Amp was designed to run with a 3DG4 or 5AU4 that can handle 350ma. Really the 3DG4 lower voltage drop
I don't know what people think of the SQ of these tubes but the amp was made to run on them.
Most or all other rectifier tubes are being cooked running in this amp when running 6AS7s worse if running 6336.
OK when running 6BX7 or 6BL7 a 5U4 will be OK

Hi Glenn,

Am I correct thinking there are no worries with this issue with the GEL3N amp ?

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #27,852 of 39,994
No the EL3N amp draws about 100ma so you are able to use a 5Y3 or 80 tube or most any other 3 , 4 or 5 volt rectifier.
The rectifiers in your OTL can handle 440ma

I thought so, but just wanted you to confirm....thanks Glenn.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #27,854 of 39,994
I have not been able to find a WE422A for a price that I am comfortable paying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back