2359glenn | studio
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #27,812 of 39,998
Thanks Phantaminum, I think I will! The big question I am going to have when it is front of me is where to begin tube-wise? Do I go to 60mph right out of the gate, or work my way there?

Go big or go home.

Says the guy who is wondering where all the money in his savings account disappeared to...

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #27,813 of 39,998
Do I go to 60mph right out of the gate, or work my way there?
Well, if you think that tube rolling and finding the ideal tube is like a marathon race, a work colleague once told me:
"The way to win a marathon is start off as fast as you can, and keep accelerating..." :wink:

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #27,814 of 39,998
That would mean using what I think are my best tubes. Maybe a Mullard ECC32 input and Western Electric 421A output? Or an all Fivre setup, 6C5G input and 6BX7 output?

With the other approach, I think I would spend some time with the stock tubes for a while and get used to the sound before moving on. But the Brimar 13D1 is no slouch I'm certain.

You might as well start with the best ECC32 or 13D1 and the WE421As and see what the amp sounds like.
Then play with the other tubes.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #27,816 of 39,998
Great advice all around :) okay, I will run the 421As first and go with the 13D1/ECC32 as drivers, then give the 6BX7s a shot. Thanks everyone!

You will be hearing the amp very close to it's best with this combo IMO. I don't own the 421A, but the 5998 is among my couple of favorites and the ECC32 are the same.
I don't listen to 6BX7/6BL7 these days, but they are also very good as power tubes.

I am listening to GEC 6080 and ECC32 and it is also a heavenly sound...to be honest the ECC32 pairs well with all of my power tubes and it definitely deserves the accolades that it gets.
You may pair it with different power tubes depending on music you are listening to and headphones you are using.

I find the ECC35 the most picky of the ECC3X drivers, due to it's higher gain.

The best thing is that the amp will sound very good , even with the cheapest of tubes.

With the great selection of tubes that you own, you are in for a wonderful time and some sublime listening sessions.....enjoy.

DSC02858.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #27,817 of 39,998
You will be hearing the amp very close to it's best with this combo IMO. I don't own the 421A, but the 5998 is among my couple of favorites and the ECC32 are the same.
I don't listen to 6BX7/6BL7 these days, but they are also very good as power tubes.

I am listening to GEC 6080 and ECC32 and it is also a heavenly sound...to be honest the ECC32 pairs well with all of my power tubes and it definitely deserves the accolades that it gets.
You may pair it with different power tubes depending on music you are listening to and headphones you are using.

The best thing is that the amp will sound very good , even with the cheapest of tubes.

With the great selection of tubes that you own, you are in for a wonderful time and some sublime listening sessions.....enjoy.

Thanks for your encouraging words, Joe. The ECC32 does have a reputation, I can't wait to hear it in an excellent amp.

I have heard the same about the ECC35 being finicky. Right now, I have the ECC31 and ECC32. I am holding off on the 33/35 until I have given these two some significant head-time and also see how I like using 6SL7s in the GOTL with their higher gain.

One reason I was drawn to the GOTL was because I already owned many compatible tubes like the 421A, but I hoarded even more to channel my excitement expecting a long wait. Hopefully I can add some info to the thread that will be useful for current and future owners.

Very grateful everyone here has been welcoming and willing to answer all of my dumb questions!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #27,818 of 39,998

The ECC32 is the closest to being a 6SN7 and should sound best in this circuit out of the ECC tubes.

Jul 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #27,819 of 39,998
Thanks for your encouraging words, Joe. The ECC32 does have a reputation, I can't wait to hear it in an excellent amp.

I have heard the same about the ECC35 being finicky. Right now, I have the ECC31 and ECC32. I am holding off on the 33/35 until I have given these two some significant head-time and also see how I like using 6SL7s in the GOTL with their higher gain.

One reason I was drawn to the GOTL was because I already owned many compatible tubes like the 421A, but I hoarded even more to channel my excitement expecting a long wait. Hopefully I can add some info to the thread that will be useful for current and future owners.

Very grateful everyone here has been welcoming and willing to answer all of my dumb questions!

Very true.

Most of my ECC35's are quiet but, like anything that's close to a 6SL7 amplification factor, you'll find that you'll have to be more pickier with what you purchase. I've returned a few that were just too noisy and kept the rest.

Can't wait for you for you to give us your thoughts on the amp. It was like Christmas when most of us received ours.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #27,820 of 39,998
Hey Deyan,
The FW4-500 adapter has arrived and it has been in my amp for well over an hour now and the adapter is barley warm.

Thanks so much for this, I now feel much better about running the GEC U18/20 rectifier. You rock sir!

DSC02867.JPG

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #27,822 of 39,998
Glad I was able to help. Looking at your amp I can't help but wonder why isn't anyone tried a something something to EL3N adapter.

Hi Deyan,

If you mean why has someone not tried an adapter in the GEL3N amp so you can use different tubes in it ?

Maybe someone who owns this amp has, but I can not really say as I have not. Maybe others have.

I have tried EL8 tubes, I really did not care for them in this amp. They were a little noisy and the sound was small compared to the EL3N. The EL3N is one of my favorite tubes and in this amp Glenn has them biased to run at optimum as strapped triodes I believe.
I think he also used them as power and driver tubes for harmonic distortion.

To my ears these EL3N tubes are what I call warm, meaning the treble is easy on the ears, no hint of brightness and definitely no sibilance....but the dynamics are killer.

Kick butt bass that is textured and very nice mids with a treble that is kind on the ears.....I play this damn amp too loud most of the time!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #27,824 of 39,998
I can't say anything since I don't use tubes or anything for that matter to listen music. But was just suggesting. The pentode of the EBL21 is a successor of the EL3 for instance.

Well, never say never , as I am sure that someone who buys this amp will be all in for trying some adapters and different tubes.

I am not interested, but you can pretty much bet that someone will be :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back