2359glenn | studio
Aug 8, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #28,351 of 39,998
And remember gents, only those hard to find 1963 special issue red base GEC 6BX7’s... sound any good....

:wink:

eBay sellers are frantically checking their stock for these rare beauties, they can charge 3-4x market price now that they have surfaced on the 2359glenn studio thread.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #28,352 of 39,998
D5AA61AA-B05D-4FF6-9379-BF20E8290312.jpeg

Picture taken at my wife’s work, a couple if hours ago...

Were not in Kansas, anymore, ToTo...!!!

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #28,355 of 39,998
Hi JV,
Maybe you could paint the bases on my GE 6BX7GT tubes red as well?
I thought the sand blasted dot code said 1958.....
PS: Beautiful pictures! Is the second one from NM?

Hello Mordy...

Painted bases on GE tubes would not be sonically equivalent to “special issue 1963 blood red based GEC’s” now would they? :)

Both photos were within a few miles of my home in Colorado :wink:

I have switched drivers to my 12SN7 Tung Sol BGRP and I gotta say, sounds pretty good.

Joe said it best a good while back when he said there were a lot of great sounding 12SN7 tubes out there for cheap that the GOTL can deply that leaser amps cannot!!!

Cheerios, and Tally-Ho!!

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #28,357 of 39,998
If I understood Glenn correctly, which I may not have...lol

I can use all of these tubes as long as Deyan tied pins one and eight together on the adapter...which Deyan did do.

6K6G
6V6G
6L6G/5881
6F6G/KT63
KT77
EL34
EL35
EL37

And another that is considered among the best: KT66. And also the much cheaper KT63.

EL33, 6M6 and EL35 as well
Also EL38 and EL39 if I'm not mistaken... and if so then the EL11 and EL12 may work too (all with adapters). Glenn any others we missed?

Also RE EL37, not discounting it since I haven't tried it, but being directly familiar with EL 38 and 39 I have my suspicions that it can't outperform the EL39; all who've tried it on the Euforia anyway considering it in another league than the EL38 which is basically identical to the 37. A general consensus over there is that often the tubes with a top cap such as anode cap can yield better sonic performance.

I must be the only person around here who finds too much choice to be overwhelming........
It can seem overwhelming at first, but then it's a bit time demanding to switch tubes so often. It can take a very long time, but ultimately you settle on 2-3 top tube pairings, one for each genre or headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #28,359 of 39,998
Hi DL,
One thing I learnt is that how a tube sounds depends on the amp (and ancillary equipment) that it is used in, and the synergy with other tubes in that amp. In other words, a tube that is nothing special in one amp could sound great in another amp, and vice versa.
Some tubes sound good in almost any amp, and others perform their best in specific amps only.
In my attempts to find the best combination of tubes I many times hit dead ends trying tube combinations that don't sound good at all, and it impresses me that some people always seem to find better and better sounding tubes.
I wish there were ways to predict how something is going to sound when trying uncharted tubes, but based on my limited knowledge, it is all trial and error.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #28,360 of 39,998
Also EL38 and EL39 if I'm not mistaken... and if so then the EL11 and EL12 may work too (all with adapters). Glenn any others we missed?

Also RE EL37, not discounting it since I haven't tried it, but being directly familiar with EL 38 and 39 I have my suspicions that it can't outperform the EL39; all who've tried it on the Euforia anyway considering it in another league than the EL38 which is basically identical to the 37. A general consensus over there is that often the tubes with a top cap such as anode cap can yield better sonic performance.

It can seem overwhelming at first, but then it's a bit time demanding to switch tubes so often. It can take a very long time, but ultimately you settle on 2-3 top tube pairings, one for each genre or headphone.

I still think the EL3N will sound beast then maybe the EL11 , EL3 , 6M6 I haven't tried the later 3 yet.
But I think the Philips EL3N sounds better then other brands like Tungsram that I have tried.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #28,361 of 39,998
After a long night's work, nice to kick back to some tunes with Glenn's beautiful amp and Zach's headphones, a perfect match. Keeping things Fivre for a while, the Atticus has made a friend. This time it is the Fivre 6N7G brown base with the Fivre 6BX7. Very nice, characteristic Fivre midrange. Reminds me a lot of my Fivre 6SN7 black plate brown base, will have to compare and tease out the differences.

DSCF5379.jpg

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #28,365 of 39,998

Haha, that's not quite what I meant by overwhelming. I have plenty of experience rolling tubes. It's just that too much choice is an OCD trigger for me. You actually just described the primary reason why I don't enjoy tube rolling very much anymore. Because at the end of the journey 90% of what you bought just sits in a box or bin and never gets touched again because it's not as good sounding as your favorites. Some people enjoy the flavor switching, or the discovery journey enough to justify the money spent. I personally don't anymore. I'm looking for something very specific in terms of presentation for my music and I just want to find it and lock it in quickly and painlessly. It never goes that way sadly.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back