2359glenn | studio
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #28,368 of 39,998
@mordy

Can you please post a photo of your NU 6N7GT ?
Sent you a PM.
p.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

As you can see there are two versions - gray glass and cleartop.

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #28,371 of 39,998
Long shot, but does anyone have any experience with the potato masher rectifier?
My dac takes them and am trying to find out if the Chatham is the one to get, or another mfg.

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #28,373 of 39,998
Haha, that's not quite what I meant by overwhelming. I have plenty of experience rolling tubes. It's just that too much choice is an OCD trigger for me. You actually just described the primary reason why I don't enjoy tube rolling very much anymore. Because at the end of the journey 90% of what you bought just sits in a box or bin and never gets touched again because it's not as good sounding as your favorites. Some people enjoy the flavor switching, or the discovery journey enough to justify the money spent. I personally don't anymore. I'm looking for something very specific in terms of presentation for my music and I just want to find it and lock it in quickly and painlessly. It never goes that way sadly.....

It's reasonable. Sometimes I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling for a specific headphone, other times I find myself tube rolling too much which never happened with a solid state amp.

I will say that if you're looking for 3D, holographic tube sounding like amp, with great separation and body the ECP 3F is just fantastic. I'm borrowing the amp from another head-fier for a review. No tubes required. Really it's an amp that one you dial it in your headphones with earpads (like the Auteur/Verite) that's it.

Now if it was cheaper than $2700.

I do have a tube rolling addiction though and that's why Glenn's amp fits my current situation.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #28,374 of 39,998
Long shot, but does anyone have any experience with the potato masher rectifier?
My dac takes them and am trying to find out if the Chatham is the one to get, or another mfg.

While I am not positive, I am pretty sure that all the potato mashers were manufactured by Chatham. But of the 5R4 I much prefer the Brimar or the Philips (manufactured by La Radiotechique and often labeled Dario).

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #28,375 of 39,998
Nice @mordy - wonder if the grey glass one is a TS re-badge?
I have RCA, Visseaux, NU, TS and Sylvania 6N7GT tubes. All have similar construction with round plates and "suitcase luggage straps" except for the Sylvania with X-plates.
Externally the gray glass RCA, TS and NU look very similar, but the plates are different in the NU, as well as the RF shield covering part of the TS and all of the NU (and RCA).
It is difficult to see the inside construction with the gray glass.
Since they all sound different I would think that each was manufactured by their respective manufacturer.
To me the NU sounds the best, followed by the Visseaux.

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #28,376 of 39,998
I have RCA, Visseaux, NU, TS and Sylvania 6N7GT tubes. All have similar construction with round plates and "suitcase luggage straps" except for the Sylvania with X-plates.
Externally the gray glass RCA, TS and NU look very similar, but the plates are different in the NU, as well as the RF shield covering part of the TS and all of the NU (and RCA).
It is difficult to see the inside construction with the gray glass.
Since they all sound different I would think that each was manufactured by their respective manufacturer.
To me the NU sounds the best, followed by the Visseaux.

Thanks!

Look forward to the audition!!

:wink:

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #28,377 of 39,998
Not the only person. I'm starting to feel that way. The next amp will have minimal tube rolling.
Hehe

Totally off-topic, but the English premiership has started today with Liverpool vs Norwich. ExpressVPN with Sky Now TV works great. Norwich were promoted from the division below (called the "Championship") as winners of that league - and they are playing with almost exactly the same team as last season! This is unheard of - usually the promoted teams spend big to attempt to compete. Goliath vs David. Ok, OT trivia over :) Enjoy whatever sport you watch or play.

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #28,378 of 39,998
The 6N7G is a very special tube in Glenn's very special amp!

STOP telling everyone!! I want them ALL to myself!

Bet it does sound superb!!!

Don’t tell anyone, but a National Union 6N7GT together with another two drivers in the C3g slots sounds great!

I have a little collection of 6N7 from my pre-GOTL hoarding, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them all yet. I have both the National Union 6N7G clear glass and 6N7GT grey glass, maybe I will get to them tonight! I have the weekend off :)

Of the ones I have listened to, I really, really like the Radiotechnique (Visseaux) 6N7G, Mullard ECC31, and Fivre 6N7G. I think the last one I have is an Arcturus with the cross-style mica spacers.

I popped in the Arcturus, pretty noisy, hopefully some Deoxit will help.

IMAG0772.jpg

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #28,379 of 39,998
You guys are killing me. I'm on day 6 with no headphones. My new DAC is still in the box.
Ten more days to go. :frowning2:

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #28,380 of 39,998
I have a little collection of 6N7 from my pre-GOTL hoarding, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them all yet. I have both the National Union 6N7G clear glass and 6N7GT grey glass, maybe I will get to them tonight! I have the weekend off :)

Of the ones I have listened to, I really, really like the Radiotechnique (Visseaux) 6N7G, Mullard ECC31, and Fivre 6N7G. I think the last one I have is an Arcturus with the cross-style mica spacers.

I popped in the Arcturus, pretty noisy, hopefully some Deoxit will help.

What fun! I have both G and GT versions of the Visseaux 6N7 and both are superb. Also have some old Sylvania's marked as "GM" (General Motors) that sound pretty good (not as refined as the Visseaux's).

Never heard the Fivre flavor.

Mordy is sending the NU on loan...

We had some folks who had Mazda 6N7G's in the past, that liked them.

The FDD20 is basically a 12N7G (with pretty blue glass), also a very nice sounding tube (getting hard to source now).

I have ECC31's too, also good, but not the same sounding animal as the 6N7's...

Looking forward to hearing your roundup on these flavors.

Also...wish I had a nickel for every bad / noisy Arcturus tube I have ever owned!

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back