2359glenn | studio
Aug 7, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #28,321 of 39,998
Didn't look like long exposures to me, how long was the shutter open, LG?

8 seconds I believe at f11. But the room was well-lit, the effect is more pronounced in the dark, I've done 30 second exposures then at high f-stops, oh the tube glow!

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #28,323 of 39,998
So question to @Deyan, is pin 1 left unconnected in the dual 6J5 adapter, or is it taken to ground in the 6SN7 base/socket?

@2359glenn If pin 1 unconnected, can pin 1 be connected to pin 8 at the 6C5 base (with wire)?

Without a ground wire coming out of the adapter to be hooked to the chassis it would have to be hooked up to one of the cathodes.
The cathode resistor bypass capacitor would make a AC path to ground from the shield.

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #28,324 of 39,998
Nice, what is hour preferred camera brand (not that matters much...as all brands do well, these days).

:)

Fujifilm! Yes, they are all good, but I like the retro look and feel of their cameras, with actual knobs and dials, less searching through menus, etc.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #28,327 of 39,998
I do not own a transformer-coupled amp so I will have to defer to the experience of others. But keep in mind, compared to the GOTL, tube rolling in Glenn's 300B, 45 and EL3N, and also the Woo WA33 for that matter, is almost nonexistent. You can roll different brands of each type, but that is just about it.
Thanks for your effort in answering. Even if my hi-z headphones such as HD-600 are underpowered on the new GEL3N, I'm still willing to take the risk since it seems my planned Rosson Audio Rad-0 planars and HEDDphone One have a good chance to pair well with it. And I'm willing to take the risk that maybe tube rolling in transformer-coupled amps may not make as large a difference as OTL amps. Unless anyone has another opinion? As long as the amp performs solid that may not matter.

And for the new GEL3N amp, I read here recently it's supposed to also work with EL34, EL38 and EL39 considering adapters. And possibly even more if I order custom specs. I'll ask Glenn about the compatible types and number of sockets, but feel free to post that here @2359glenn

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #28,329 of 39,998
Thanks for your effort in answering. Even if my hi-z headphones such as HD-600 are underpowered on the new GEL3N, I'm still willing to take the risk since it seems my planned Rosson Audio Rad-0 planars and HEDDphone One have a good chance to pair well with it. And I'm willing to take the risk that maybe tube rolling in transformer-coupled amps may not make as large a difference as OTL amps. Unless anyone has another opinion? As long as the amp performs solid that may not matter.

And for the new GEL3N amp, I read here recently it's supposed to also work with EL34, EL38 and EL39 considering adapters. And possibly even more if I order custom specs. I'll ask Glenn about the compatible types and number of sockets, but feel free to post that here @2359glenn

Under powered? You can drive speakers with it try and do that with your OTL.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #28,330 of 39,998
So I bought these tubes from Langrex for the new amp and then Glenn told me he can get better sounding tubes for me at $4 each....

OK so no more buying tubes. :)

s-l1600 (6).jpg

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #28,331 of 39,998

No worries, the amp will power most any headphone the HD-600 will certainly not be a problem.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #28,332 of 39,998
So I bought these tubes from Langrex for the new amp and then Glenn told me he can get better sounding tubes for me at $4 each....

OK so no more buying tubes. :)

Funny....I was looking at these same tubes. They are beam tetrode tubes
Glenn says he like the sound of the pentodes better.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #28,334 of 39,998
If I understood Glenn correctly, which I may not have...lol

I can use all of these tubes as long as Deyan tied pins one and eight together on the adapter...which Deyan did do.

6K6G
6V6G
6L6G/5881
6F6G/KT63
KT77
EL34
EL35
EL37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back