2359glenn | studio
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #22,876 of 39,994
Joe, love your room ! The ceiling fan will keep you cool with all that nice gear there. :) Love the posters too. Well done. I need to revamp my listening room too.

I have the Animals albums. I think I played it once after buying it. Will have to listen to it in the lounge stereo system. Am listening to the digital version now. It's good with the EL11s. After 30 hours, these tubes are sounding even better. There's the 'body' in the tone and the clarity is starting to shine through. It's transformed the HD800, putting meaty flesh to the bones. Good stuff.

Billy Gibbons .... can't forget the hard hitting 'Perfectamundo' album. :) Listening to the 'Big Bad Blues' album now. Good change after a few hours of listening to jazz.

Rolling headphones is great. Saw that ZMF has the new Verite now, with the really lovely looking wood. Nice.

Good luck with the GS-X MkII. It could be the ss amp to complete your setup. This hobby can cost a fair bit of money. :)

IMG-1981.JPG

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #22,877 of 39,994
That is a great analogy UT, and what a fantastic album to listen to...Pink Floyd - The Wall :)

It is pretty awesome to have an amp that can use so many wonderful tubes. I have pretty much used my EL3N amp exclusively for quite a while, but I am sure once I receive my new OTL amp
that I will be back to rolling a few tubes again, but probably nothing like in the past.

The GS-X MKII has also been on my radar and it is the only SS amp that has ever really gotten my attention....not sure where that will go...lol.

I really do believe that Glenn's amps are the best bang for the buck in head-fi...built to last a life time and the tone is to die for IMO.

I have not bought any new tubes for quite some time, I have spent some money completing my listening room and am quite enjoying it.
Here is the completed concert posters on the walls.

I will probably spend the rest of my days rolling headphones.

You have gotten me in the mood for some Pink Floyd, so I think I will listen to the Animals album.
It is another great Floyd album to listen to with your Millennium Falcon, as well as just about any of their albums.

Hope you enjoyed your long session of listening last night, and keep posting your impressions, I for one love reading them.

By the way...Billy Gibbons new album..."The Big Bad Blues' is well worth a listen. :)

The room is looking great Joe. I guess one of these days will have make a road trip up to see it. I am going get the Verite from Zach after hearing them at RMAF out of this Glenn. Glenn says just couple weeks and mine will be here.

I will check out the new Billy Gibbons album on Tidal.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #22,878 of 39,994
Joe, love your room ! The ceiling fan will keep you cool with all that nice gear there. :) Love the posters too. Well done. I need to revamp my listening room too.

I have the Animals albums. I think I played it once after buying it. Will have to listen to it in the lounge stereo system. Am listening to the digital version now. It's good with the EL11s. After 30 hours, these tubes are sounding even better. There's the 'body' in the tone and the clarity is starting to shine through. It's transformed the HD800, putting meaty flesh to the bones. Good stuff.

Billy Gibbons .... can't forget the hard hitting 'Perfectamundo' album. :) Listening to the 'Big Bad Blues' album now. Good change after a few hours of listening to jazz.

Rolling headphones is great. Saw that ZMF has the new Verite now, with the really lovely looking wood. Nice.

Good luck with the GS-X MkII. It could be the ss amp to complete your setup. This hobby can cost a fair bit of money. :)

Thanks UT.

The Perfectamundo album has a hard hitting bass to go along with the overall Cuban flavor.
I just imagine those EL11 tubes will get better the longer they burn.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #22,879 of 39,994
The room is looking great Joe. I guess one of these days will have make a road trip up to see it. I am going get the Verite from Zach after hearing them at RMAF out of this Glenn. Glenn says just couple weeks and mine will be here.

I will check out the new Billy Gibbons album on Tidal.

Thank Rick.
I can imagine that you are getting quite excited to receive your amp. I look forward to seeing some pictures and hearing your impressions. Two weeks will be here before you know it.

So you have already heard the Verite out of Glenn's OTL....very nice!

You will be getting a new amp and new cans...big congrats on that sir.

I see on Zach's website that his new cans, the first batch have sold out already. I would imagine they sound as good as they look.

Would love to have you come up again, you are always welcome,.....just be sure to bring those new cans :) and to let me know a bit in advance so I will be sure to be here.

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #22,880 of 39,994
While much less exciting than EL8s and EL11s, I hope that there might be at least one or two here who are interested in 2C51/396A/5670. I have finished rolling Sylvania, Bendix and Western Electric production, and of these three, I prefer the Western Electric. The tone is very balanced and I especially like that the head-stage is wide and deep.

And for those who roll tube rectifiers, I found the GEC U18/20 to be a bit too airy and thin, but the Cossor 53KU, Mullard GZ32 and the Holland-made GZ34 are all very good. Currently, I have the GZ34 installed with Tung-Sol 6BX7, and I figure to keep this configuration in the amp for the time being.
That little guy is so powerful(gz34). And should last forever if you don't drop it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #22,883 of 39,994
That is a great analogy UT, and what a fantastic album to listen to...Pink Floyd - The Wall :)

It is pretty awesome to have an amp that can use so many wonderful tubes. I have pretty much used my EL3N amp exclusively for quite a while, but I am sure once I receive my new OTL amp
that I will be back to rolling a few tubes again, but probably nothing like in the past.

The GS-X MKII has also been on my radar and it is the only SS amp that has ever really gotten my attention....not sure where that will go...lol.

I really do believe that Glenn's amps are the best bang for the buck in head-fi...built to last a life time and the tone is to die for IMO.

I have not bought any new tubes for quite some time, I have spent some money completing my listening room and am quite enjoying it.

You have gotten me in the mood for some Pink Floyd, so I think I will listen to the Animals album.
It is another great Floyd album to listen to with your Millennium Falcon, as well as just about any of their albums.

Hope you enjoyed your long session of listening last night, and keep posting your impressions, I for one love reading them.

By the way...Billy Gibbons new album..."The Big Bad Blues' is well worth a listen. :)

Great job on the posters, Joe!!

Looking good!

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #22,884 of 39,994
Thank Rick.
I can imagine that you are getting quite excited to receive your amp. I look forward to seeing some pictures and hearing your impressions. Two weeks will be here before you know it.

So you have already heard the Verite out of Glenn's OTL....very nice!

You will be getting a new amp and new cans...big congrats on that sir.

I see on Zach's website that his new cans, the first batch have sold out already. I would imagine they sound as good as they look.

Would love to have you come up again, you are always welcome,.....just be sure to bring those new cans :) and to let me know a bit in advance so I will be sure to be here.

No none of the new headphones are sold out . They go on sale on November 16th.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #22,885 of 39,994
No none of the new headphones are sold out . They go on sale on November 16th.

My bad, I thought I seen where it said sold out....sorry for the confusion.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #22,886 of 39,994

The room looks so inviting and comfy WW! Love the musical posters. Glenn amps on the table and ready to rock.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #22,887 of 39,994
While much less exciting than EL8s and EL11s, I hope that there might be at least one or two here who are interested in 2C51/396A/5670. I have finished rolling Sylvania, Bendix and Western Electric production, and of these three, I prefer the Western Electric. The tone is very balanced and I especially like that the head-stage is wide and deep.

And for those who roll tube rectifiers, I found the GEC U18/20 to be a bit too airy and thin, but the Cossor 53KU, Mullard GZ32 and the Holland-made GZ34 are all very good. Currently, I have the GZ34 installed with Tung-Sol 6BX7, and I figure to keep this configuration in the amp for the time being.

I’ll give the 2c51s variants a try today. I have several Russian 6n3ps I love and several US version of the tubes. I enjoyed the 6n3ps more but you could not beat how wide the WE 396As sound. Cavernous.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #22,888 of 39,994
I’ll give the 2c51s variants a try today. I have several Russian 6n3ps I love and several US version of the tubes. I enjoyed the 6n3ps more but you could not beat how wide the WE 396As sound. Cavernous.

I haven't tried any of the 6n3p. I assume that these were manufactured in more than one factory... which ones do you recommend I get?

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #22,889 of 39,994
I haven't tried any of the 6n3p. I assume that these were manufactured in more than one factory... which ones do you recommend I get?

I’ll go through my tubes today and let you know which ones are my favorites. Right off the bat the Foton triple mica 6n3ps were fantastic but they’re now are hard to find.

Edit: AuditoryCanvas has acquired and tested several batches of Russian tubes. Great seller and they are priced very reasonable. Most of my Russian tubes were purchased from him.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #22,890 of 39,994
@gibosi

Here’s the Foton Triple Mica 6n3p. It’s a fantastic tube that puts meat on music. The only drawback would be that the bass may not be tight but it’s impactful. While music the music may sound slightly bloated; other instruments take up space and come through without any issue. It’s very good at pulling out micro detail, having textured notes, while still having a full sound.

0FD7D1E1-4BED-4919-94F8-4E33BBD12321.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back