2359glenn | studio
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #22,891 of 39,998
@gibosi

Here’s the Foton Triple Mica 6n3p. It’s a fantastic tube that puts meat on music. The only drawback would be that the bass may not be tight but it’s impactful. While music the music may sound slightly bloated; other instruments take up space and come through without any issue. It’s very good at pulling out micro detail, having textured notes, while still having a full sound.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will keep an eye out for a Foton Triple Mica 6n3p. Even if they are hard to find, I am in no hurry. And after all, many would say that the last thing I need is more tubes. lol :)

And I took a quick look at what AuditoryCanvas currently has for sale, but since I have zero experience with the 6N3P, will hold off until I learn more.

Thanks again! :)

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #22,892 of 39,998
Has anybody tried using dual 6AK5 tubes in a 6SN7 socket? I see that one such adapter is available.
The reason I am asking is since I have some 200 6AK5/EF95/5654 etc etc tubes that I am not using.
Is there any good reason to try these as driver tubes?
I should really ask Gibosi since I know that you have lot of these "peanut" tubes......

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #22,893 of 39,998
One of my 'NOS' EL11 died and I had to fall back on EL12 as power tubes until I get another EL11. Same majestic scale but more power. Volume no more than 10am.

These EL11 and EL12 sounds so good on the GOTL. I think I had a glimpse of what the GEL3N sounds like and I reckon I would like that too.

IMG-1982.JPG

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #22,894 of 39,998
Has anybody tried using dual 6AK5 tubes in a 6SN7 socket? I see that one such adapter is available.
The reason I am asking is since I have some 200 6AK5/EF95/5654 etc etc tubes that I am not using.
Is there any good reason to try these as driver tubes?
I should really ask Gibosi since I know that you have lot of these "peanut" tubes......

6AK5 for audio why???? This is a RF pentode for VHF/UHF amplifier. I have a HH-Scott FM tuner with this tube as the fm RF amp at 88 to 108 Mhz.
I don't know it might sound OK but I wouldn't use it. With a adapter with long leads that tube can osculate at high frequency and you wouldn't know it.
Maybe you would know it when your headphones burned out being over driven by high frequency that you cant here.

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #22,895 of 39,998
One of my 'NOS' EL11 died and I had to fall back on EL12 as power tubes until I get another EL11. Same majestic scale but more power. Volume no more than 10am.

These EL11 and EL12 sounds so good on the GOTL. I think I had a glimpse of what the GEL3N sounds like and I reckon I would like that too.

Do you guys have same issue with the EL11 on FA? This is too early for a NOS tube went south.

You should get a GEL3N instead of doing this kind of DLevi things..............

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #22,899 of 39,998
6AK5 for audio why???? This is a RF pentode for VHF/UHF amplifier. I have a HH-Scott FM tuner with this tube as the fm RF amp at 88 to 108 Mhz.
I don't know it might sound OK but I wouldn't use it. With a adapter with long leads that tube can osculate at high frequency and you wouldn't know it.
Maybe you would know it when your headphones burned out being over driven by high frequency that you cant here.
Hi Glenn,
The reason why I have the 6AK5 en masse is because my tube odyssey started with a Little Dot MKIII amp that uses these tubes as drivers. There must be thousands of owners of this little amp that use them.
But I will certainly listen to your advice and not use them in the GOTL.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #22,901 of 39,998
Do you guys have same issue with the EL11 on FA? This is too early for a NOS tube went south.

You should get a GEL3N instead of doing this kind of DLevi things..............
Hi attmci,
I never had any problems with the EL11 tubes or the EL12N tubes in the FA amps.
But the EL12 is a different story - could be that the tubes were bad to start with but found them very temperamental.
However, it appears that one of the major sellers of the EL12 tubes sold poor condition or worn out tubes as NOS (at top prices) and this could account for part of the problems we encountered as a group.

Anyhow, you would appreciate the esthetics of my current favorite setup of only three tubes in the GOTL - ECC31 and 6336B. (But then the spec sheet for the 6336B states that a pair could be used in the place of 4 or 6 6AS7 tubes: "one 6336B will replace two or three 6080WB or 6AS7G").

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #22,902 of 39,998
Hi Glenn,
The reason why I have the 6AK5 en masse is because my tube odyssey started with a Little Dot MKIII amp that uses these tubes as drivers. There must be thousands of owners of this little amp that use them.
But I will certainly listen to your advice and not use them in the GOTL.

I am saying not a good idea to use them with a adapter with long leads to the amp

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #22,904 of 39,998
Hell year 1" is to long with some high frequency tubes.
You can try it if you want. But you won't know if it is oscillating unless you have a oscilloscope.
The amp does have grid stopper resistors but they should be right at the tube with the leads as
short as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back