2359glenn | studio
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #22,516 of 39,998
Communicated with xulingmrs through pictures .... I think she gets what I want. :) China is on holidays now so it won't be until 10th Oct before they can start producing that for me.

The EL12 and EL12 spez adapters will be at 45 degrees angle but can be rotated slightly by loosening the centre screw. EL11 and EL12 use the same adapters.

Then @felix3650 it will be nuclear meltdown.

S0 you are going to use 8 of them for outputs. Maybe will work with 8 will get there internal impedance down. These tubes were meant to run at over 400 volts.
Not so high in your amp.
How did they sound in FA amps? Different circuit there just a cathode follower with no gain most anything will work to some degree.
Let us know how the sound is.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #22,517 of 39,998
I'll run with 4 first then 8. No clue how it's going to sound but there's only one way to find out and that's to try it. This way I get to try EL12 and EL12spez separately and together.

On Elise, I use 2 x EL12n as drivers and 2 x EL12 as power tubes. It's a powerful sound, tons of clarity and dynamics.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #22,519 of 39,998
If it works in the GOTL, it is good. And if it doesn't work in the GOTL, it is bad. End of story. lol :)

Yup. This is how I test tubes too. If a tube behaves in the OTL I feel there is a very high chance it will behave in any amp (that uses those tubes of course).

One thing that's often overlooked is the opportunity to buy tubes from other Head-fi'ers too. Tubes I sold here in the past went very fast because I operated them in a real amp and could assert for fact that they were noise free. People like having that assurance. It's hard to get that kind of assurance from a bulk seller who doesn't have the time or possibly the amp to check each tube for noise.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #22,520 of 39,998
UT - good luck with the EL tubes. Interesting that Glenn said they were designed to be run at 150 more volts to the plate that the GOTL (or the FA amps) supplied. Maybe that is one reason they run so cool.

You said in an earlier message that you were going to sell the expensive set of bookshelf speakers you bought. Did that happen?

I ran across a beautiful pair of NHT SB3 bookshelf speakers (black piano finish) at a tiny little second hand store, here, today. Bought them for $100 USD, remembered much bragging on the NHT line. They are unusual in that they are built as acoustic suspension (no port) and are thus inefficient (meaning they need lots of watts, to sound good). Figured my monster Hafler @ 250 watts per was enough :)

Just got through comparing them to my big DIY dual 10's / Dome Mid / Vifa XT-25 speakers...

The little NHT's (compared to my DIY speakers) sound really good! Sound amazingly good and remarkably similar to my (also acoustic suspension) DIY 3-ways.

I slightly prefer my DIY's but will retain these NHT's in case I ever have to downsize my listening space.

At the same store was a pair of psb Alpha 1's for $20 USD for the pair...bought those too. They were very VERY dirty, after spending an hour cleaning them up....hooked them up to a 20 watts per amp that also has a DIY sub that I made long ago and have not used in years...put that set around my "Hobby Table" where I plan to get back into the DIY electronic kit hobby that I have not messed with in a long while, as well...

The psb's sound really good in this nearfield environment, the sub shakes the table...won't have to wear my "subwoofer" backpack :)

Oh, and am enjoying Seal:

seal_soul.jpg

His "Soul" album, bunch of covers of the great Soul hits, of the past. He does a great job!

:)

Cheers, peeps and happy listenin'...!!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #22,521 of 39,998
Hi JV, glad you got yourself a NHT - Now Hear This :)

You have to remind me that I do have a HiFi system and I have not heard it for a while. :) So I sat and listen for 30 mins ..... and it was GOOD. :) My Axis VoiceBox S is still around. Guess I will keep it.

Then I move back to the study and warm up GOTL with Gec B36 and 6 x 6bx7gt. Glory this is good too. Head-fi is more intimate. You're in your own world with micro details swimming in their zillions around your head. It's a sensory delight. :)

All this while, I ponder about the possibility of listening to EL11 / EL12 spez tubes again. This time on GOTL. If EL3N in OTL mode sounded a bit warm, EL11 is more neutral and cutting edge. It's a nice variation. EL12 is very powerful tube. It's a 18w power output pentode.

So Glenn, if I were to use 2 x EL12 in a dual adapter plugged into a single 6as7 socket, what mode am I running these EL12 tubes in? As pentode or triode?

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #22,522 of 39,998
Ever feel that your preferences changes according to how you feel physically? Like when you're not tip top, you would want a tone that is warmer, more enveloping, more soothing, more relaxing. Well that is how I feel tonight and the cure is to use a Mullard ECC31. Listening with LCD-2f.

These GE 6 x 6bx7gt were bought from a seller in Thailand and they sound so perfect. Glow perfect too.

IMG-1848.JPG

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #22,523 of 39,998
Hi JV, glad you got yourself a NHT - Now Hear This :)

You have to remind me that I do have a HiFi system and I have not heard it for a while. :) So I sat and listen for 30 mins ..... and it was GOOD. :) My Axis VoiceBox S is still around. Guess I will keep it.

Then I move back to the study and warm up GOTL with Gec B36 and 6 x 6bx7gt. Glory this is good too. Head-fi is more intimate. You're in your own world with micro details swimming in their zillions around your head. It's a sensory delight. :)

All this while, I ponder about the possibility of listening to EL11 / EL12 spez tubes again. This time on GOTL. If EL3N in OTL mode sounded a bit warm, EL11 is more neutral and cutting edge. It's a nice variation. EL12 is very powerful tube. It's a 18w power output pentode.

So Glenn, if I were to use 2 x EL12 in a dual adapter plugged into a single 6as7 socket, what mode am I running these EL12 tubes in? As pentode or triode?

They have to be wired as triode's to work.
It was the same in your FA amp except it would run on single triodes.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #22,524 of 39,998
S0 you are going to use 8 of them for outputs. Maybe will work with 8 will get there internal impedance down. These tubes were meant to run at over 400 volts.
Not so high in your amp.
How did they sound in FA amps? Different circuit there just a cathode follower with no gain most anything will work to some degree.
Let us know how the sound is.

The EL12 comes in several voltages: 250, 325, 350 and 375 volt. The voltages higher than 250 are indicated on the tube.The EL12 Spezial I think was intended for film projectors and rated at 425V.
Don't know what these values mean in terms of running them in the GOTL.

When we tried the EL12 tubes in the FA amps (not 12N or 12Spez) they were very temperamental and there were a number of them that did not work.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #22,526 of 39,998
I was going to build one of these amps. Then I was thinking would it be better to use EL34 more available.
The EL12 was the predecessor of the EL34.
Just wondering which one would sound better before build.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #22,527 of 39,998
Go EL34. New production EL34s are readily available and cheap. I was going to get 8 of these for the Prima Luna but I never got around to it as I replace the PL with the Redgum solid state amp. Selling the Prima Luna was one my regret in my head-fi journey.

Tung Sol EL34B Quartet.JPG

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #22,529 of 39,998
Coming up to a year now and I am still getting total satisfactions from my tube amp. The best tube amp tone I've heard to date and JV for you, this is another shot of Tung Sol bgrp in action.

IMG-1853.JPG

Listening to Angus and Julia Stone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back