2359glenn | studio
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #19,668 of 39,994
Thanks! Is there much difference between metal base and a "normal" base? Seems the metal base variants are more rare

Have not heard the SYL 6SN7W metal base, but IME, the brown/black base does not perform above the better 6SN7.
Langrex had recently sold the metal base for about $250, the brown base for $45, both NOS. So that speaks to either rarity or performance, or both.
Don't overlook the C3g, Mullard ECC31, and FIVRE 6N7G. All great drivers, usually listen to one of those three.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #19,669 of 39,994
I have to disconnect @Sound Infinity EL3N amp going to miss it:cry:. Have been using it since last weekend.
Mostly with speakers sounds good on the speakers just not a lot of power but nice sound. I don't listen
loud much anymore.
It really makes my closed back phones sound good never really liked them on the OTL but the
EL3N makes them sing.
Just no time to build one for myself or I would have one by now.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #19,670 of 39,994
Both 6sn7w metal base and black base are great but before I put too much emphasis on 6sn7w and make everyone buy out the world's last remaining 6sn7w, I want to put some perspective in tube buying.

1. You start slow and enjoy tubes at the cheaper end. If you're just getting into tubes, even a Sylvania 6sn7gtb will sound great to you. Or any of the 6sn7gtb. These are the garden variety. They are cheaper and can be bought NOS. Seriously they do sound very good. Try the different brands, Tung Sol, Raytheon, Hytron, RCA. They all have different unique sound.

2. An important consideration for me is the tubes have to be quiet in combination with the power tubes used. In my inventory, I know which driver tubes are dead quiet with 6 x 6BL7, so naturally I love them and talk about them. Now I notice that some of the cheaper Fotons are quiet too.

3. There are other superb drivers in my inventory that are quiet with 6 x 6BL7. Rnros mention Mullard ECC31. Not a cheap tube but this is very good with 6 x 6BL7.

4. Lastly the drivers that are noisy with 6 x 6BL7, are quiet with my 6as7 / 6080 / 5998. As have been pointed out earlier, 6BL7 have higher gain and amplify noise more. So don't toss away those drivers.

Now a joke. One day I put on my selected tubes, power on the amp and waited 5 minutes. DEAD QUIET. I could not believe my luck. Then I started the music and no sound. I had not plug in the headphone jack. :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #19,671 of 39,994
I have to disconnect @Sound Infinity EL3N amp going to miss it:cry:. Have been using it since last weekend.
Mostly with speakers sounds good on the speakers just not a lot of power but nice sound. I don't listen
loud much anymore.
It really makes my closed back phones sound good never really liked them on the OTL but the
EL3N makes them sing.

If the designer likes a particular amp, it's time to pay attention. :smile_phones:

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #19,673 of 39,994
loud much anymore.
EL3N makes them sing.

@Sound Infinity Congrats man! Release the pool noodles and show us the drool worthy GEL3N amp when you receive it!

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #19,674 of 39,994
Have not heard the SYL 6SN7W metal base, but IME, the brown/black base does not perform above the better 6SN7.
Langrex had recently sold the metal base for about $250, the brown base for $45, both NOS. So that speaks to either rarity or performance, or both.
Don't overlook the C3g, Mullard ECC31, and FIVRE 6N7G. All great drivers, usually listen to one of those three.
The brown base one could be a 6sn7wgt.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #19,675 of 39,994
The brown base one could be a 6sn7wgt.

Yes, they are both the GT version, which is designation for Glass Tube format.
Edit: Triode placement is the same for both, opposing triodes with separate free-standing support rod.

Later design placed the triodes in an angled orientation, with support rod design simplified by placing the anode plate rods directly over two of the pins, appears to be no break between pin and anode support rods. Clever. Not sure how they accomplished that, since the triode/mica assembly was usually attached after completion to the glass button/pin base.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #19,677 of 39,994
:beyersmile::beyersmile:
loud much anymore.
EL3N makes them sing.

Thanks again Glenn for building such a wonderful amp! Now what’s left is the smalll matter of shipping it to me... :beyersmile:

@Sound Infinity Congrats man! Release the pool noodles and show us the drool worthy GEL3N amp when you receive it!

I will definitely do so! Stay tuned...

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #19,679 of 39,994
loud much anymore.
EL3N makes them sing.

Thank you to @2359glenn for making this awesome amp.

Congratulations to @Sound Infinity for his new amp. Definitely will have a lot of fun with this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back