2359glenn | studio
Apr 26, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #19,698 of 39,998
The ritual of testing a new tube. Remove the Mullard CV4003 / 12au7 tube from the original Mullard box. Lettering on tube is still perfect. Brand new tube which I paid $70 aussie dollars. Insert tube into the brand new adapter from mrsxuling and then into the OTL amp. Power tubes are 6 x Sylvania 6BL7gta which I've use only a few times.

Power switch on and waited 5 minutes. Strapped on Eikon and make sure the headphone jack is inserted. Pure silence with no music playing. Amazing - totally happy. If I can get this silence when using drivers with 6 x 6BL7, that would my 1st smile and a very big smile.

Then the 1st listen and the 2nd smile broke out. This is good. Very articulate and rich tone. This Mullard cv4003 is famed for it's midrange glory. I'll put this tube through 50 hours before reporting further.

DSC_0012.JPG

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #19,699 of 39,998
I love this hobby. The ability to tune your gear with a change of tube types or brand is just amazing. I would never have known that 12au7 would work so well in Glenn OTL until I tried it. In particular this Mullard M8136. There is a connect with the music. Female vocals are just so seductive and the sense of space in the soundstage.

Best of all, this combination with 6 x 6BL7gta works so well and it's very quiet combination. No noise at all. It's all very gear dependent though and one's preference.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #19,700 of 39,998
I love this hobby. The ability to tune your gear with a change of tube types or brand is just amazing. I would never have known that 12au7 would work so well in Glenn OTL until I tried it.

Do I need to buy an adapter for the 12au7 to work in the GOTL,and how many of this type of tubes does it need ? Im particulary fond of my Telefunken,and most likely would want to pair it with something with some warmth.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #19,702 of 39,998
I have to say that bass on HD800 is on another level with my Glenn OTL. Listening with GZ37 fat bottle, ECC32, 6 x Fivre 6BX7. This is what these headphones are really capable of.
Can you post some pics? I'd like to see the difference between the SS rectifier and tube rectifier versions.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #19,704 of 39,998
Do I need to buy an adapter for the 12au7 to work in the GOTL,and how many of this type of tubes does it need ? Im particulary fond of my Telefunken,and most likely would want to pair it with something with some warmth.

You will need only one tube as shown on my picture above and you need this adapter from my good friend in China. :)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1pc-Gol...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

With this adapter, you can try both 12au7 and 12ax7, the latter has a much higher gain but JV finds it works with a pair of 6as7.

Telefunken 12au7 is another good brand but I think the tone is more clinical whilst the Mullard is more lush. However I would have to listen to know for sure.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #19,705 of 39,998
I have to say that bass on HD800 is on another level with my Glenn OTL. Listening with GZ37 fat bottle, ECC32, 6 x Fivre 6BX7. This is what these headphones are really capable of.

Totally true. HD800 sounds so right with GOTL. However I'm starting to use my 'wooden' headphones more now. Eikon and Atticus bass is taken to another level. LCD-2f sounds splendid with it too.

Your tube combination will sound superb. :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #19,706 of 39,998
Ros what configuration did you have on your GEL3N ?

Did you have the better sockets? Did you have special caps?

Multiple input jacks?

Yes on the Yamamoto sockets. With tube rectifier. Single input. Caps not discussed yet.

However...
Build on my EL3N not started yet, originally scheduled for Jan/Feb, but thought it might
be a good idea for Glenn to move forward with some of the builds for first time customers.
Reason being that I have the GOTL, and already enjoying the Glenn Sound. : )
Not really a problem for me to wait a few months...
LOL, But I don't see the line getting shorter, at least, not in the near future!
Thus my comment to you about getting in line. : )

I purchased the Yamamoto sockets in January, after I had a chance to see the typical new
production sockets on the 2xEL3N to 6SN7 adapter. No comparison, the Yamamoto are really fine.

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #19,707 of 39,998
With this adapter, you can try both 12au7 and 12ax7, the latter has a much higher gain but JV finds it works with a pair of 6as7.

Telefunken 12au7 is another good brand but I think the tone is more clinical whilst the Mullard is more lush. However I would have to listen to know for sure.

I have also tried both the 12AU7 and the 12AX7 and agree that they are both fine with the lower gain power tubes.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #19,708 of 39,998

In addition to as 12A-7 types, you can also roll E80CC / 6085. These were manufactured in Holland by Philips and in Hungary by Tungsram. Good sounding tubes.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #19,709 of 39,998
In addition to as 12A-7 types, you can also roll E80CC / 6085. These were manufactured in Holland by Philips and in Hungary by Tungsram. Good sounding tubes.

So all four types can be used with that specific adapter(already bought one)or do I need another?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back