2015 Tokyo Fujiya Avic Spring Headphone Festival Report
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #47 of 83
Hats off to you guys for the fantastic report! 
popcorn.gif
keep em coming 

May 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #48 of 83
I'll piggyback off @Currawong's thread to give my impressions of the show. He did a good job in covering all the exhibitors whilst I was somewhat more (selfishly) focused on a few.

The day started with Currawong, Arnaud & I being invited to the AK380 launch. iRiver spared no expense in having a very lavish presentation in the chapel.

The AK380 is quite a beast larger from its older brother. I won't dwell too much about my thoughts about it in this thread as I've given my initial impressions already in the AK380 thread.

Just outside the chapel was Vinnie Rossi's booth of which he had the LIO displayed. This is quite a get up! It's almost completely modular with swappable amps, DAC, phono stage, etc. Vinnie gave the reason with his past products he liked offering his customers an upgrade path but that was difficult and time consuming. By having the LIO design, he can execute the upgrades more easily, in addition provide configurability for his customers. The two rows of ultra capacitors provide isolation for the audio components from AC at all times, that switch back 'n forth the front row and back row banks seamlessly.

Vinnie came to Japan with Ken Ball (who had his booth with the Mixwave distributors upstairs). At the show, Ken had the opportunity to launch his new brand for earphones/headphones called Campfire Audio. Whilst Ken/Caleb were displaying the Campfire Audio IEMs up on the Mixwave table, the prototype @Currawong's wearing below were on Vinnie's table. They were brand new prototypes, and I believe even Ken hadn't had a chance to hear it yet.

Vinnie also had an earlier prototype of the ALO Continental Dual Mono (the more pre-production units were with Ken on the Mixwave table). This was one hefty DAC/amp that's CNCed out from a solid block. As later talked with Ken, the tubes are modular too. I'm told the Continental Dual Mono be marketed around USD$1500. This puts it around the Aurender Flow area. In comparing the two, the Continental Dual Mono sounded a tad warmer than the Aurender Flow. It's an impressive product that provides balanced out (2.5mm TRRS AK standard wiring) which the Flow doesn't and the Continental Dual Mono can be used as an Amp only too (and I think if you like as a DAC too but I think it's main selling point are the tubes). It does run pretty warm though so those grills aren't just for aesthetics. Sonically though, I personally felt I prefer my Flow still.

In the Jaben exhibit, the Mass Kobo 404 was on display together with the Abyss. Thought not exactly small, the 404 does does seem to pack a punch being able to drive some large high impedance cans like t he HD800 too. As can be seen, balanced HP out is supported. Although it was off my iPhone and Lightning (Wolfson?) DAC, there's not much I can say about how it sounds as I'm unfamiliar with the Abyss nor the amp. It sounded pleasing and no noticeable flaws I could find.

Still on the same 6th floor was the TopWing room where they had the iFI products (which sadly I didn't get a chance to try), and the Lotoo Paw 5000. Some of you may have read my Paw Gold review of which I was highly impressed so I was eager to try it's more wallet-friendly sibling. The Paw 5000 was really light to hold in the hand yet didn't feel "cheap". It's obviously not as solid as the Paw Gold but it didn't scream cheap either. I'm sure some of you who eventually hold one would say that it feels "plasticky" but the buttons press more firmly that other cheap DAPs I've played with. Sonically, I felt it was a strong performer, although a little rough on the highs. I'm not certain if the unit wasn't burnt in or if that was the final signature. This will be a decent alternative to the AK100 II.

Portable gear wasn't the only ones that made a show at the festival. Desktop and some speaker gears did too. I didn't get a chance to try this Questyle though.

Yamagishi-san's Ocharaku did have a trial run of a new protoyype Chonmage as seen below. I have to admit it didn't really do much for me but I may be a little bit of a snob being used to the higher end earphones.

The 30mm tubed Kaede II did make a show too and this was more to my liking. However I didn't spend enough time on it to form any impressions.

Noble's Brannan did fly in too and was on Haru's Wagnus booth. He brought along the BTS and it's quite a nifty little device. This is actually quite perfect for the gym.

@shigzeo's secret to professional photography with his iPad.

I couldn't stop by Noble and not listen to their newly launched Savant. These have a "lighter" signature than the K10's Noble kindly made for me last year. In my opinion, the recent trend of earphone signatures seem to be more the natural monitorish signature family - JH Audio Laylas, FitEar Monet 17, Kumitate KL-Ref, Just Ears Monitors, etc. Naturally they all vary from each other. Of the lot that I did hear in this show whilst my personal preference would be the JH Audio Laylas, the Noble Audio Savant represents the best value for money out of the lot at ¥79,800

Walking around I bumped into @Donnyhifi and made him put on the McIntosh MHP1000 headphones for me to photograph. They were lighter than I expected and decent however to me, still somewhat BeyerD-ish.

Hifiman couldn't have a display without the much talked about HE1000. Finally I had a chance to try this off my Aurender Flow. Overall I have to say that I do like what I heard in the HE1000. Tonally it was pleasing (and I have to agree with @Currawong about a very slight U-shaped but not excessive) and was very refined for most parts of the tonal range. The highs to me were still a little rough (not certain again if burn-in is required, etc.). There's lots of talk if this could be the Stax SR-009 killer however in my books, I think the SR-009 still wins in ethereal. However, this HE1000 provides a promising alternative.

This corner of Sony's exhibit to me won my personal surprise of the show vote. Sony was well aware of the criticism it received when it launched it's 64GB Premium Sound MicroSD card so they set up a little section of comparing regular to the Premium sound cards. I have to admit I was quite skeptical too until I heard it myself - both ZX2s had the same tracks and I used my own MH335DW-SRs and the difference was obvious - overall signature was just more wholesome and detailed extension on either end. If I wasn't a believer before, I sure am now. Sony said they found a way to lower electronic noise from the microSD cards. I further asked how this translated further down to the DAC chain (e.g. does it affect jitter, etc?) and Sony themselves are not too sure. They just know by lowering the electronic noise the resulting is improved sound quality. It also wasn't about speed - in fact the Premium Sound microSD card have a slower transfer rate than the fast ones sold for data. I also asked if what they did was some kinda coating on the contact pins and they said no...therefore no chance of wear/tear from frequent popping in/out of the microSD slot. These cards are around the USD$110-120 so it's not expensive anyway to try. I just need to have a DAP back after selling my RWAK240!

Timelord had the Chord Hugo TT at their booth and although it was end of the (first) day I spent a little bit of time on this. At least to me, it's just a muscle pumped version of the Hugo. Therefore if one likes the Hugo, there's little to nothing to not like the TT. It made presentation of the same tracks I was listening to more effortlessly than the Hugo. I guess that's quite a hefty power supply behind the Hugo TT.

I couldn't go to the show without stopping by FitEar and talking to Suyama-san. He had these prototype universal MH335DW-SRs in solid titanium and gold (featured below with Currawong) which got the whole world talking - no joke, I was getting WhatsApp messages from audio friends around the world asking me to check with FitEar on how much and when they'd be available. It is sadly though another of FitEar's "play prototypes".

The gold ones below are 18K solid gold. Quite hefty in the ear and on the wallet if it were to be sold.

And the Titanium

Suyama-san also couldn't resist playing around with the Stax SR-002 by changing them into CIEMs.

Oh these Monet 17 really grabbed my attention to the point I was tempted to whip out my wallet to get them then and there. They are customs though and Japanese Monet owners have an upgrade path to the Monet 17s. The driver configuration is no different from the Monet however the crossovers resistors/caps have been tweaked. I'm still tempted by them however have to hold back and resist. Their signature (like the Savant) a lighter version of the MH335DW-SR. They also sound more airy/spacious than the MH335DW-SR. However compared to the Laylas, there's still a hint of FitEar warmth to it. They retail for approx ¥164,900

On the 2nd day I didn't do as much listening and just roamed around to take a few pics. This is a DIY USB DAC kit.

amongst others.

I did listen to Fostex new T50RP Mk3 though. The launch of this seemed to have killed Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs (& Pros), Alpha Dogs & Primes series (although not the sole cause as Mr.Speakers now develop their own drivers with the Ethers). If Noble's Savant represented the best value for money IEMs for this show (in my books), then the T50RP Mk3 would be the same for the headphone catergory. These T50RP Mk3s will RRP for only approx ¥20,000!! I don't remember the T50RP much and would have to base on memory but it felt these were more extended on the highs and bass a little more tightened up (but still not fully tightened). It lacks a little finesse in the highs but one could forgive that for it's price. I listend to it off my Aurender Flow and had my volume close to max. These are greedy beasts - make sure you have a decent amp.

Brimar cables made a show too although I didn't try them.

MEAN was displaying headphone storage/display cabinets. They retail for approx ¥5000-8000 depending on design. Still a little large for my desk but if I had more space I may consider them - (I've got a dusty place).

I sat down waiting to try these but unfortunately ran out of patience. Not obvious from the screen, each channel has its own volume pot. I believe the tubes are EL34.'s. 

Kumitate Lab also debut their KL-REF earphones at the show. As mentioned before, at least to my mind  the general trend seems to be the monitor-like signatures. Although these are rather decent sounding, I felt the highs weren't as refined of others I've heard. As the Noble Savant are priced under  the ¥80,000 mark, I think would be a little challenge at the ¥125,000 category (although that's probably customs).

EME-Audio saw me walking by their booth when they whisked me away to show me their new nifty little toy - it's small USB DAC/amp gum stick much like the Geek Out. Called the ZuperDAC this one employs the ES9018K2M DAC & ES9601K amp. I forgot to ask how much it'll retail for. Although not my kinda thing it it provides a slightly warmer signature than straight out of my iPhone 6.

Here's another booth where I used to stop by all the time - VentureCraft. They now focus on their SounDroid VANTAM series and these latest ones have their PCB revised. I didn't really get a chance to do comparisons to my Flow but they retain the familiar VentureCraft signature from their former Go-DAPs

At the end of the 2nd day I stopped by the AK exhibit again but to their partners - such as the Dita's. I didn't try these but I already have the Dita Truths thanks to Danny from Dita.

The Masterdynamic MH40's to me a aesthetically beautiful. Shigzeo has a pair of loaners of which he's passed on for me to use. They are comfortable to use, not only sonically pleasing but aesthetically fashionable. I was comparing them to the Denon's AH-MM400 previously and prefer the Masterdynamics MH40.

Overall this Fujiya Spring Show didn't fail to impress. Not everything on the high end won the show and there were many makers who were starting to focus back on delivering return on value. This was quite welcoming. Most of all though aside from all the new products was meeting up with fellow Head-Fi friends such as @Currawong, @arnaud@ExpatinJapan, @shigzeo,@bayac@Donnyhifi, etc.

May 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 83
AnakChan, thanks a lot for the post and the great pictures. Also, appreciate your impression on Noble Audio Savant.

Being an owner of the K10s, do you think it is worth to get the Savant too?

May 23, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #51 of 83
That Noble BTS is tempting me as well. MIght be the perfect companion for walkabout use with my ciems (MH335DW), provided they don't cause hiss and audio quality is up to snuff.

May 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #53 of 83
AnakChan, thanks a lot for the post and the great pictures. Also, appreciate your impression on Noble Audio Savant.

Being an owner of the K10s, do you think it is worth to get the Savant too?

Wow apples to oranges. I think the Savant is worthy to get to have an alternative sound. I know my ears and I generally prefer a slightly treble tendencied signature and the Savant would do well for me in that. But for those who appreciate the K10's for a slightly more midbass warmer and treble neutral then they may find the Savant a little "aggressive" (but not Ditas aggressive - just to give a sense of scale of "aggression"). 

May 24, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #54 of 83
Mind blown! 

Loved the coverage! :)

May 24, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #55 of 83
Wow apples to oranges. I think the Savant is worthy to get to have an alternative sound. I know my ears and I generally prefer a slightly treble tendencied signature and the Savant would do well for me in that. But for those who appreciate the K10's for a slightly more midbass warmer and treble neutral then they may find the Savant a little "aggressive" (but not Ditas aggressive - just to give a sense of scale of "aggression"). 

Thank you AnakChan, very helpful response.

May 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #56 of 83
That Noble BTS is tempting me as well. MIght be the perfect companion for walkabout use with my ciems (MH335DW), provided they don't cause hiss and audio quality is up to snuff.

The audio quality is good. There is a bit of hiss, but the transmission is good, connection stability is good, and as far as I can tell, the current-to-voltage ratio is very nice.

May 24, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #58 of 83
  I wish i coulda been there
mad.gif

@Currawong, did you happen to see the AudioQuest Nighthawk? Sorry if i missed it in thread but I didn't see it?

It was there, but since it was at CanJam as well, I wanted to spend more time on new or Japanese products.

May 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #60 of 83
Curious, when is the next available (preferably substantial) headphone fest in Japan? I feel a bit tempted now that I have the funds, thouhh I would def need to ask around on peoples' processes on travel and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back