$200 Over-Ear Headphones
Jan 19, 2013 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HouseMusic2398

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I know that there are about a million posts about this topic, but I need some feedback for my situation. So basically I used to own Skullcandy Hesh(I know, they suck) and I was unimpressed with the sound quality. So now I want some quality headphones for some serious listening. I listen to mostly Dance and Rap, but I don't want overpowering bass, like the beats or crap like that. I am also producing dance music and getting into DJing so I use headphones a lot. My average listening time per day is about 6 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends, mostly at home, but it should be strong enough for travel. I don't want complete DJ style headphone. I suppose I could be called an audiophile. So so far I have seen the following on the internet:

-Sennheiser HD 598
-Audio-Technica ATH M50
-V Moda Crossfade LP

I'm really looking for other options as well, but right now I am leaning towards the M50s and the 598s. I really need some inputs from the community on head-fi so please try to give me as much help as possible. Thanks guys!!

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 24
Ultrasone HFI-580 or AKG K167

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 24
Hello!

In my opinion, those K167 has some quite not so clean bass. Whenever each bass has ended, there's some hisses at the background.

You would not like DJ-ing/portable with HD598 as those are open although I like how they sound. ATH-M50 has narrow soundstage and recessed mids. As for Crossfade LP, it has very good lowsnfor basshead but still, same issue, recessed mids at around 1Khz.

V-Moda M80 might be a good choice for you if you accept on-ear.

Billson :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
Hey guys! I know that there are about a million posts about this topic, but I need some feedback for my situation. So basically I used to own Skullcandy Hesh(I know, they suck) and I was unimpressed with the sound quality. So now I want some quality headphones for some serious listening. I listen to mostly Dance and Rap, but I don't want overpowering bass, like the beats or crap like that. I am also producing dance music and getting into DJing so I use headphones a lot. My average listening time per day is about 6 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends, mostly at home, but it should be strong enough for travel. I don't want complete DJ style headphone. I suppose I could be called an audiophile. So so far I have seen the following on the internet:

-Sennheiser HD 598
-Audio-Technica ATH M50
-V Moda Crossfade LP

I'm really looking for other options as well, but right now I am leaning towards the M50s and the 598s. I really need some inputs from the community on head-fi so please try to give me as much help as possible. Thanks guys!!

Heya,

Beyer DT770 PRO
AKG K167
Ultrasone HFI 780
Logitech UE 6000

The HD598 is not going to perform anything like what you're looking for for dance & rap and producing.

Very best,

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 24
Why DT770??  
those have U shaped signature and overblown bass, which seems quite opposite to what OP is looking for... 
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 24
$190 and under
DT990/250 Pros
Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
HIFI-2400

$150 and under
HIFI780
HIFI580

Under $100
JVS HA-S500 or
Sony MDR-V55

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
Why DT770??  
those have U shaped signature and overblown bass, which seems quite opposite to what OP is looking for... 
cool.gif

Because they DT770 does not have "overblown" bass. And it's used in studios for production. Have you ever listened to it?

The OP doesn't want a shy bassless headphone. He just doesn't want Beats/XB500 sound.

Very best,

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 24
Because they DT770 does not have "overblown" bass. And it's used in studios for production. Have you ever listened to it?

The OP doesn't want a shy bassless headphone. He just doesn't want Beats/XB500 sound.

Very best,

I though DT770 has recessed mids? :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 24
The recessed midrange only becomes obvious when you compare them to, say, Audio Technica W1000X or the AD line. I do think that the bass tends to overwhelm the sound slightly. But they are  still accurate enough to be used in studios so that shouldn't be too bad of an issue.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 24
What do you guys think about the akg k167? And akg in general

Hello!

Tried K550 & K167. K550 are excellent but for some basshead, it needs more bass slam. K167 has forward highs(not bright). Soundstage & detail are good but the bass are not all that clean. :)

Billson :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 24
I'm surprised no one mentioned the V-Moda M100s! For me, the bass on those bad boys fell right into the region you seem to be looking at: bass, but not BEATS bass. They're great for travel and are pretty clean all around. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back