1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,036 of 1,586
Gold/copper.

Some more info on my tastes... Generally I don't like a laid-back presentation, with sucked out mids. I can't stand a boxed, recessed, distant sounding or veiled presentation. That's why I love the 1MTDOE. They bring you in the first row, imho.

What is your source? You may be able to get a sonic upgrade simply by improving your source.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #1,037 of 1,586
It is fun to use different sounding headphones and end up liking them almost equally!

I suffer from the same affliction (and I have the headphones to prove it lol).

Ultrasone has a few good models, and many not so good ones (especially their higher end offerings). With their decent models of headphones, I found that the S-Logic didn't always work with every recording (as I recall they accomplished it via a metal plate over the driver with strategic hole placement to change the way the sound radiated into the ear). If you're considering a studio-style over-ear headphone, what I think is better than any Ultrasone I've tried was the Tascam TH-300X with either Brainwavz HM5 Hybrid earpads (thanks to Solderdude's review and measurements of the Roland RH-300 for pointing out the good matching of the Brainwavz HM5 hybrid earpads to these headphones). FYI there is a strong likelihood that the Tascam TH-300X and Roland RH-300 have the same OEM, as well as many other similar headphones, as pointed out here:

https://www.head-fi.org/gallery/alb...-hp-3000-mdh8000-roland-rh-300-clone.1095975/

These periodically go on sale for $40 or so - like the Tascam TH-300X right now:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-th-300x-studio-headphones

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/TH-300X-Studio-Headphones.gc

Factor in a few more dollars for replacement pads (I really hate the stock Tascam pads), either the Brainwavz HM5 hybrids or the aftermarket Audio-Technica ATH WS1100 earpads and it's got stellar price/performance. I think the aftermarket WS1100 pads I have are a better match personally, and put the Tascam TH-300X firmly into the ranks of one of my favorite closed back headphones. Only downside is that the cord isn't detachable, but for the price, I'm not complaining.

Great info. Those places don't ship to Canada, but I'll definitely look into the TH-300X's (already have some HM5 hybrids).

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #1,038 of 1,586
One More Triple-Driver Over Ear on sale from One More for $123.49 thru 12/6.
Picked mine up last Dec when bestbuy deal of the day had them for $99, like them a lot.

Dec 7, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,043 of 1,586
Among the closed-back headphones that you know, which one sounds more similar to the 1MTDOE?
I'm looking for an upgrade with a similar sound presentation but with improvements with respect to: 1. comfort; 2. the sometime loose/emphasized bass/mid-bass; 3. detail; 4. lack of 3D image.

If you are still looking, try the Sennheiser HD-1 wired over ear. They are the Momenutm 2.0s, but released under that name in the US because of trademark issues. I picked up an open box pair off Ebay from this seller, and it was near mint: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD1-Wired-Over-the-Ear-Headphones-Black/401345842602

Bass is a little tighter and detail is a little better. I'm the wrong one to tell you about comfort because I have an XXL head and ears, so my experience is always different from everyone else.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #1,044 of 1,586
If you are still looking, try the Sennheiser HD-1 wired over ear. They are the Momenutm 2.0s, but released under that name in the US because of trademark issues. I picked up an open box pair off Ebay from this seller, and it was near mint: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD1-Wired-Over-the-Ear-Headphones-Black/401345842602

Bass is a little tighter and detail is a little better. I'm the wrong one to tell you about comfort because I have an XXL head and ears, so my experience is always different from everyone else.

I have the Momentum 1.0 over ear, and I like it. The build is premium, a nice v shaped sound, and the overall size is extremely compact for an over ear headphone.

The only difference between the Momentum 1.0 over ear and Momentum 2.0 over ear (also known as the HD1 as you mentioned) is Sennheiser 1. made the earpads larger and roomier to address complaints, and 2. they added a hinge so it is a folding design.

Another headphone to consider is the Sennheiser Urbanite XL. It’s got a similar sound, a solid build, and more traditional (bigger/roomier) size for an over ear headphone. The stock micro suede pads are universal/replaceable, so the sound can further be tweaked with numerous 3rd party pads.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,045 of 1,586
Hey all I got a pair of these recently and greatly enjoyed reading through this thread -- I want to say thanks for all the useful info (especially to Slater for his awesome mod ideas). Unfortunately however I did the beats 2 pad mod and now the bass is so boomy that it bleeds into everything... even on moderately bassy tracks. These are the pads I used https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077DR6T63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The dimensions were the closest I could find compared to what Slater recommended. Before I'm asked:
-- I've done the ceramic tweeter foam mod
-- I ripped the layer of foam of the beats pads
-- I did the reverse cable mod
-- I followed all the instructions carefully

If anyone would be so kind, why might this be happening? Are there any other pads available in Canada that anyone could recommend? It's getting to the point where I'm considering taking the passive radiator out to try to minimize the bass.
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,046 of 1,586
Hey all I got a pair of these recently and greatly enjoyed reading through this thread -- I want to say thanks for all the useful info (especially to Slater for his awesome mod ideas). Unfortunately however I did the beats 2 pad mod and now the bass is so boomy that it bleeds into everything... even on moderately bassy tracks. These are the pads I used https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077DR6T63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The dimensions were the closest I could find compared to what Slater recommended. Before I'm asked:
-- I've done the ceramic tweeter foam mod
-- I ripped the layer of foam of the beats pads
-- I did the reverse cable mod
-- I followed all the instructions carefully

If anyone would be so kind, why might this be happening? Are there any other pads available in Canada that anyone could recommend? It's getting to the point where I'm considering taking the passive radiator out to try to minimize the bass.
Many thanks in advance.

Hmmm, the bass isn’t boomy on my Beats-modded set. On mine, the Beats pads sound nearly identical to the stock pads, as they have the same internal pad volume.

Perhaps what’s happening is that due to the better fitting Beats pads (fitting your whole ear inside), you are getting a tighter seal which is bumping up the bass.

Perhaps try a velour version of the Beats pads if they are available? Or see if a there is a fenestrated version available?

I am also curious if you have the gold pair (titanium drivers)? My brother’s gold pair developed an odd boomy/farty bass, but his have the stock pads not the Beats pads. Anyways, on his, the problem was that the diaphragm of the passive radiator driver came unglued. I took the headphone apart and removed the passive radiator completely, and it sounded significantly better.

I did not do that on my silver pair though.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,047 of 1,586
Hmmm, the bass isn’t boomy on my Beats-modded set. On mine, the Beats pads sound nearly identical to the stock pads, as they have the same internal pad volume.

Perhaps what’s happening is that due to the better fitting Beats pads (fitting your whole ear inside), you are getting a tighter seal which is bumping up the bass.

Perhaps try a velour version of the Beats pads if they are available? Or see if a there is a fenestrated version available?

I am also curious if you have the gold pair (titanium drivers)? My brother’s gold pair developed an odd boomy/farty bass, but his have the stock pads not the Beats pads. Anyways, on his, the problem was that the diaphragm of the passive radiator driver came unglued. I took the headphone apart and removed the passive radiator completely, and it sounded significantly better.

I did not do that on my silver pair though.
Thanks for the prompt reply! I was also thinking that velour pads would work better, but unfortunately I couldn't find any :frowning2: I'll look around for a fenestrated version.

Ah haha here I thought I was being thorough but I forgot to mention that I have the silver version. Is there an easy way to take the radiators out to test the sound and then put them back in? I recall you saying that they're not very firmly glued into place though, so would they not stick properly if I did so? Is there an aftermarket adhesive that might work well, if necessary?

Lastly, how do your brother's pair sound now compared to before the radiators came unglued? This is obviously subjective, but would you say they sound better or worse now? Is the bass tighter? I like the faint visceral rumble that the radiators produce but if that's all they do, I'll lose that to get tighter bass.
Thanks again!

Edit: what do you know I found some velour earpads. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B081YQ1N5R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2UGB3BFVKZQBI&th=1
Regrettably the photos are low res, the dimensions are not provided, they're almost $40, and the only shipping option is slow. I'll get em' if I'm desperate but want to find other options first. Do velour pads make a big difference to the bass quantity in your opinion? Sorry for the thousand questions lol

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #1,048 of 1,586
I have velour pads on many other headphones, but not the 1More. Generally, they reduce bass and tilt the sound more balanced. They are usually more comfortable, reduce/eliminate hot and/or sweaty ears, etc.

As far as removing the radiators, it's just held on by glue. The glue seemed similar to flexible rubber cement or something like Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over, although I have no way to know for sure. I habve seen adhesives specifically made for gluing speaker cones, but those are usually paper cones. The 1More passive radiator diaphragm seemed like some type of silicone rubber, so perhaps a glue specifically made for silicone would be best.

Also, be aware that I removed mine because it was loose and half falling off anyways. I had no intention of putting it back on, so I can not provide any definite opinion on how well trying to reglue it would go.

I can, however, attest that removing the passive radiator diaphragm was definitely was an improvement to my gold pair IMO (at least to my ears). Even Tyll mentioned (in his very helpful review on Inner Fidelity) how the H1707 bass sounded odd at times and that he couldn't put his finger on it. He always suspected it was the passive radiator causing it. If I ever discover the diaphragm is loose on my silver pair, I won't hesitate to remove the passive radiator diaphragm on those as well.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,049 of 1,586
Excellent, thank you for the info. I'll try some other pads and then I'll fiddle with the radiators if I'm still not satisfied. The sound I had with stock pads/foam mod was stunningly good (better than Mad Dogs, K702's, HD599's, etc. to my ears). For me they blew all similarly priced phones out of the water, with the only caveat being the slightly subpar comfort. Now that I've gotten that fixed thanks to you, I just need to get the sound back to how it was and I'll have my endgame pair.

I'll report back if I find pads that work better and/or if I mess with the radiators. 'Til then, peace!

Dec 24, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,050 of 1,586
£106.95 on Amazon UK for the next 8 hours. Deal is HERE ( :arrow_left: Internal head-fi link).

EDIT. I just bought a pair, I guess I've just joined your Club. It's about time I put my Money where my mouth is and my MF200's have been broken mechanically for a while.

Too good a deal to turn down :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back