1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Dec 30, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #1,051 of 1,586
Which version do you have now?

You might want to consider the Soundmagic HP151 (which has fixed the issue that the HP150 had with the hinges). Sound and comfort should be the same for both.

Just received the delivery notification for the new SM HP1000. I'm away for the holidays and I'll be back at home in the week end. Once burned in and after some critical listening, I'll give you some feedback if you are interested.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #1,052 of 1,586
I'm happy to report that it turns out I was wrong; it doesn't sound boomy or muddled at all! The night it did must have been due to some combination of lack of burn-in (they were less than a week old at the time), my track choices, being in a weird mood, or I dunno what.

The sound is just like I remember: earth shaking yet tight bass, warm mids and crystal clear highs. The combination of low/high end magic without sibilance or listening fatigue made this a magical pair for me sound-wise. And now they're comfortable!! Thanks again Slater.

I normally find it cringey to gush over products like this but these have changed my music listening experience in a similar way to my initial transition from $10 Skullcandy buds to $100 Sennheisers. And this time I came from $300 pairs to a $180 one! The value is unreal.

Someone who doesn't know what they have on their hands is selling their nearly new pair for $80 on Craigslist so I'm gonna snatch that up to make comparisons with my modded pair (and for longevity purposes.

Anyways sorry for the rant. Thanks again for the useful thread ✌️

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,053 of 1,586
I'm happy to report that it turns out I was wrong; it doesn't sound boomy or muddled at all! The night it did must have been due to some combination of lack of burn-in (they were less than a week old at the time), my track choices, being in a weird mood, or I dunno what.

The sound is just like I remember: earth shaking yet tight bass, warm mids and crystal clear highs. The combination of low/high end magic without sibilance or listening fatigue made this a magical pair for me sound-wise. And now they're comfortable!! Thanks again Slater.

I normally find it cringey to gush over products like this but these have changed my music listening experience in a similar way to my initial transition from $10 Skullcandy buds to $100 Sennheisers. And this time I came from $300 pairs to a $180 one! The value is unreal.

Someone who doesn't know what they have on their hands is selling their nearly new pair for $80 on Craigslist so I'm gonna snatch that up to make comparisons with my modded pair (and for longevity purposes.

Anyways sorry for the rant. Thanks again for the useful thread ✌️

How hard was it to change the pads? I'd be interested in this, as I have big ears and wouldn't mind a little more room.

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,054 of 1,586
How hard was it to change the pads? I'd be interested in this, as I have big ears and wouldn't mind a little more room.

Not too hard at all! It takes a bit of finesse to pry the cups loose without knicking the ear cups (just be slow and methodical, don't rush it).

I also don't recommend rolling the mounting ring adhesive off with your thumbs. It worked but blistered one of my thumbs to the point that it hurt for a week afterwards. If you do choose to remove the adhesive with your fingers I would constantly switch hands and also use my index finger. Near Slater's instructions someone recommended a chemical solution as well.

Alternatively, you might want to leave the adhesive on! After taking it off I've found that the mounting rings are a bit loose. It's still perfectly fine for everyday use and I can even shake 'em a bit without the rings/cups falling off. When I put the headphones down at some angles however, they just pop off sometimes (only twice afaik). Again, totally not a big deal as it takes a second to pop 'em back on -- plus I like how smooth it looks without the adhesive. But you normally wouldn't see it anyways unless you pry the headphones open, so it wouldn't bother me much. My 2 cents.

Best of luck, enjoy these!

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,055 of 1,586
I got them as my curiosity of the marketing line 'triple driver' got me, I'll be selling them but to the point of why.
I got the gold version but I have the feeling my issue with them has nothing to do with the colour, maybe I'm wrong.
In so many ways I do like them, they're fun, detail enough for what they're but my issue is the bass, it feels unnatural/Congested to me, it might be that while I'm not treble sensitive I'm bass sensitive instead.
Almost forgot, I think they aren't that bad fit wise (my ears aren't big) but if you place them on the Zygoma (cheekbone) and slide them towards the ears I find that I can listen for hours.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,056 of 1,586
I got them as my curiosity of the marketing line 'triple driver' got me, I'll be selling them but to the point of why.
I got the gold version but I have the feeling my issue with them as nothing to do with the colour, maybe I'm wrong.
In so many ways I do like them, they're fun, detail enough for what they're but my issue is the bass, it feels unnatural/Congested to me, it might be that while I'm not treble sensitive I'm bass sensitive instead.
Almost forgot, I think they aren't that bad fit wise (my ears aren't big) but if you place them on the Zygoma (cheekbone) and slide them towards the ears I find that I can listen for hours.

I know what you mean about the odd/unnatural bass.

I believe it’s caused by the passive diaphragm. I totally removed it on my gold pair (mainly because the glue had failed and it wasn’t even fully attached/sealed anyways).

The bass improved considerably. It’s much more natural, and for lack of a better description it sounds like a ‘normal headphone’ now.

I wish I had the scientific instruments at my disposal to measure and determine exactly how the passive diaphragm interacts with the main driver, to be able to explain what’s happening. But alas, I don’t.

One of these days I’m going to remove it from my silver pair as well.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,057 of 1,586

I believe it’s caused by the passive diaphragm. I totally removed it on my gold pair (mainly because the glue had failed and it wasn’t even fully attached/sealed anyways).

The bass improved considerably. It’s much more natural, and for lack of a better description it sounds like a ‘normal headphone’ now.

I wish I had the scientific instruments at my disposal to measure and determine exactly how the passive diaphragm interacts with the main driver, to be able to explain what’s happening. But alas, I don’t.

Thank you for clarifying, I find it really interesting that's removing part made things better which's frustrating by-itself makes one think why was it used in the first place.
I find it really sad as I honestly do like them, their solid build/feel/look, the potability, and just this one small thing just kills them for me the more I listen to them, the more it triggers me. :-/

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,058 of 1,586

When you say "odd/unnatural bass", are you also referring to the silver pair?

Whether the bass from my silver pair is odd or not, I love it, so keep your paws off of my passive diaphrams! :wink:

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,059 of 1,586
Thank you for clarifying, I find it really interesting that's removing part made things better which's frustrating by-itself makes one think why was it used in the first place.
I find it really sad as I honestly do like them, their solid build/feel/look, the potability, and just this one small thing just kills them for me the more I listen to them, the more it triggers me. :-/

Personally, I think it’s there for marketing purposes. A “triple driver” headphone sounds impressive, and the fact that it’s market as having “three” drivers sets it apart from other competitors.

Back in the 90s, before I knew better, I bought some “4-way” floor speakers. I don’t even remember what brand they were. Something research if I remember correctly.

They had a woofer, midrange driver, tweeter, and a passive radiator that made it look like the speaker had 2 woofers.

Visually, they looked very powerful and in theory they should have been awesome. But the bass never did sound right, but I could never put my finger on it. In hindsight, I probably should have replaced the passive radiator with a real woofer.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,060 of 1,586
When you say "odd/unnatural bass", are you also referring to the silver pair?

Whether the bass from my silver pair is odd or not, I love it, so keep your paws off of my passive diaphrams! :wink:

Both pairs. But I noticed it more in the gold pair. I’m sure the fact that the diaphragm was partially unglued had a lot to do with it.

I’ll also mention that Tyll also felt there was something a little off about the bass in his Innerfidelity review. He wasn’t sure what the cause was, but he suspected it had to do with the passive radiator too.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #1,061 of 1,586
Personally, I think it’s there for marketing purposes. A “triple driver” headphone sounds impressive, and the fact that it’s market as having “three” drivers sets it apart from other competitors.

Back in the 90s, before I knew better, I bought some “4-way” floor speakers. I don’t even remember what brand they were. Something research if I remember correctly.

They had a woofer, midrange driver, tweeter, and a passive radiator that made it look like the speaker had 2 woofers.

Visually, they looked very powerful and in theory they should have been awesome. But the bass never did sound right, but I could never put my finger on it. In hindsight, I probably should have replaced the passive radiator with a real woofer.
We agree it's marketing phrase but it worked in my case...
Interesting experience, I think it's classic case of 'Jack of all, master of none' and trying to achieve too much with so little, while coming short a failing.
Both pairs. But I noticed it more in the gold pair. I’m sure the fact that the diaphragm was partially unglued had a lot to do with it.

I’ll also mention that Tyll also felt there was something a little off about the bass in his Innerfidelity review. He wasn’t sure what the cause was, but he suspected it had to do with the passive radiator too.
Catch 22 case, I feel bit happy I also noticed something Tyll heard and at the same time sad for having this issue in the first place.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #1,062 of 1,586
I got the gold version but I have the feeling my issue with them has nothing to do with the colour, maybe I'm wrong.

Slater's foam mod helps clear up the mids/lows a fair bit IMO. I would definitely agree that the these headphones' bass is different from most, maybe even unnatural, however I'm happy to concur with wayne's world in loving it. It's surprising that even the supposedly less bassy gold version is too bassy for you, but to each their own. With that said, I adore these too much not to encourage you to try burning them in more (I felt at one point that mine were too bassy and eventually changed my mind) and modding them. Of course, modding voids the warranty so it's understandable if you wouldn't want to risk it. The main reason I had the confidence to mod mine was that I was 90% content with the stock sound and knew I would be happy whether the mods improved it further or not. Lucky enough they did!

All this said you gotta trust your own ears at the end of the day.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #1,063 of 1,586
Slater's foam mod helps clear up the mids/lows a fair bit IMO. I would definitely agree that the these headphones' bass is different from most, maybe even unnatural, however I'm happy to concur with wayne's world in loving it. It's surprising that even the supposedly less bassy gold version is too bassy for you, but to each their own. With that said, I adore these too much not to encourage you to try burning them in more (I felt at one point that mine were too bassy and eventually changed my mind) and modding them. Of course, modding voids the warranty so it's understandable if you wouldn't want to risk it. The main reason I had the confidence to mod mine was that I was 90% content with the stock sound and knew I would be happy whether the mods improved it further or not. Lucky enough they did!

All this said you gotta trust your own ears at the end of the day.
Thank you for recommending the mod, I didn't really dig into this thread, just tried to put my general thoughts.
I might consider doing it, will see what I'll decide at the end about them.
I said it I think in different post I'm probably bass sensitive while not being treble sensitive, funny enough I enjoy HD800 and don't find the 6k peak too bad but boosted/unnatural/odd bass to my ears can become an issue.
Sound is subjective so each to their own and their liking, if you enjoy it go for it. :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,064 of 1,586
Hey can anyone attest to how these scale with powerful amps? I use them with an Origen G2 (budget dac/amp, $140 CAD) and an LG G7 one (good dac/amp for a phone, same as the revered LG V30). I'm stoked with the sound I'm getting, however I can definitely discern an improvement using the G2 (bass tightens up, soundstage widens a bit, imaging is clearer). I presume this is because its amp is more powerful, as the G7 dac measures as well or better in some ways than the G2.

Additionally, many people have claimed that the H1707 need a lot of juice to reach their full potential. I always take comments like this with a grain of salt because confirmation bias is huge in a subjective hobby like this, not to mention that people want to justify their expensive purchases. It also feels very silly to me to spend considerably more on an amp than on the headphones I'm using them with. Although in this case, the H1707 sound like a $400+ pair to me so I might break my rule and buy a nice amp for them.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #1,065 of 1,586
Hey can anyone attest to how these scale with powerful amps? I use them with an Origen G2 (budget dac/amp, $140 CAD) and an LG G7 one (good dac/amp for a phone, same as the revered LG V30). I'm stoked with the sound I'm getting, however I can definitely discern an improvement using the G2 (bass tightens up, soundstage widens a bit, imaging is clearer). I presume this is because its amp is more powerful, as the G7 dac measures as well or better in some ways than the G2.

Additionally, many people have claimed that the H1707 need a lot of juice to reach their full potential. I always take comments like this with a grain of salt because confirmation bias is huge in a subjective hobby like this, not to mention that people want to justify their expensive purchases. It also feels very silly to me to spend considerably more on an amp than on the headphones I'm using them with. Although in this case, the H1707 sound like a $400+ pair to me so I might break my rule and buy a nice amp for them.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Which G7 do you have? The Thin Q? I thought it's headphone amp output was supposed to be average/below average for a smartphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back