1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #481 of 1,586
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #482 of 1,586
I wish I can compare these to the Cascades. The graphene driver sound similar in the upper frequencies (this is based on what I recall) to Cascades upper frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #483 of 1,586
Anybody modding these with large cups? I got a feeling they would benefit as over-ear compared to on-ear. Like a room within the cup creating bigger feel in sound. Perhaps a roomed cup will create a more dimentional imaging.

Top portion of my ear is getting sore from extended on time due to the glasses pushing from the other side.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #484 of 1,586
Anybody modding these with large cups? I got a feeling they would benefit as over-ear compared to on-ear. Like a room within the cup creating bigger feel in sound. Perhaps a roomed cup will create a more dimentional imaging.

Top portion of my ear is getting sore from extended on time due to the glasses pushing from the other side.

Large cups or larger pads? (we were discussing larger pads in the previous page)

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #486 of 1,586
Jun 13, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #487 of 1,586
I am loving the sound out of the H1707's. Comfortwise the jury is still out. I guess I have sensitive ears. The pads are very soft, and I can wear them for extended periods, but I do get slight hotspots where my ears touch the drivers and I find myself adjusting them fairly often. But damn they sound good!

I recalled your "pad replacement" posts (thanks again). This is your posts about pad removal:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1more-h1707-triple-driver-over-ear.849824/page-15#post-14217222

And about pad replacement:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1more-h1707-triple-driver-over-ear.849824/page-18#post-14247702

I presume that you can go back to using the stock pads, correct?

What intrigues me is this:

If the jury decides that comfort is an issue for me, and if I get the courage to take off the stock pads, I would love to try the various HM5 pads that I have, as I find them to be very comfortable. And if the sound is almost identical, then I would be a very happy camper indeed.

I too had hot spots wearing these. It got to the point where I did not look forward to using the H1707 because I knew the pain would come soon after. I think as the pads break in (I have about 500 hours on mine by now), they get even thinner, moving the ear even closer to the driver.

And yes, I realize everyone's ear size and overall anatomy vary. I envy anyone that can wear the H1707 without any ear issues. However, the #1 complaint in this thread is about the pads, so I know I am not alone.

As far as pad replacements, there is only 1 pad that I found that does not change the sound - the Beats Studio 2.0 pad. It does require sacrificing your stock pad, so the pad mod is a 1 way street. However, when faced with not being able to use and enjoy the H1707, it was an easy decision for me.

The info is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1more-h1707-triple-driver-over-ear.849824/page-27#post-14271670

If you have Dumbo-sized ears, the even the Beats pads may be too small (they are at the minimum limit of what I would consider true over ears).

Unfortunately, I do not recommend the other pad replacements (HM5 etc), as the sound changes considerably (after spending much more time with them). The midrange gets recessed more than I like, which is not good because the midrange is the one place on the H1707 that needs a boost! I really need to delete those earlier pad How2 posts. The big advantage of those early pad mods (HM5, etc) is that they are reversible and you can go back to stock pads.

I did not try all of the different HM5 pads though. I just tried the 100% pleather ones and the fabric Senitek version. Perhaps the hybrid HM5 pads are the golden ticket and not cause a sound change. Assuming that is the case, then yeah, that pad swap mod would be ideal as it you can go back to stock pads if you want. Keep in mind if you want to do that, you have to clean off the foam and adhesive residue from one of the mod steps (before you can reinstall the stock pads).

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #488 of 1,586
Over the last few weeks, I've been refining my testing with various pads, and wanted to share the results of the pad I have finally settled on.

After additional testing, I ended not being crazy about just slipping new pads over the stock cups (as seen here):

The fit was just too loose to provide a tight enough seal, and bass suffered as a result.

Therefore, I have concentrated my recent testing on pads that reuse the stock plastic mounting ring. This retains the clip mounting system, as well as the stock foam ring, providing a stock-like seal and no loss of bass.

I settled on an oval replacement pad designed for Beats Studio 2.0. I have used these a few other headphone projects, and I like them a lot. They're the most compact oval pad that I've ever found that is truly over ear. While the Beats pad isn't as generously sized as larger pads (like HM5), it has exactly enough room to fit my ear fully inside (YMMV depending on your ear size). It's a bit thicker than stock, which provided me enough room so that my ears didn't rub on the ceramic tweeter (which was worth its weight in gold).

If you want to know how well this pad would fit with your ears, simply go anywhere that sells Beats (Apple store, WalMart, Best Buy, Target, etc) and try on a pair of Beats Studio 2.0 (wired or wireless). You can also have someone measure the H x W of your ears for you.

The Beats pads are available in multiple colors and materials (including protein leather and velour). I got black protein leather, and paid $15.

Here's how the size compares to stock:
  • Stock pad - Round, OD (80mm), ID (45mm), Thickness (15mm)
  • Beats Studio 2.0 pad - Oval, OD (90mm H x 80mm W), ID (55mm H x 40mm W), Thickness (20mm)
Here's the 2 pads side-by-side so you can visualize the difference:

The Beats pads do require the removal of the stock pad from its plastic mounting ring. Harvesting the plastic mounting rings require destroying the stock pads, so you should consider the stock pads as 'sacrificial'.

However, if your stock pads are worn out beyond saving (as all of our pads will be at some point down the road), this is no big deal. Also, since my ears rubbed the tweeter due to it's poor depth and small ID, I was perfectly fine sacrificing my stock pads (as the result was a usable and comfortable solution).

Perhaps someone can/will come up with a 3D printed mounting ring at some point (maybe even me) so the stock pad/mounting ring doesn't have to be touched at all.

1. Anyways, you start by removing the stock pads from the headphones (by prying w/a credit card, dull non-serrated butter knife, spudger tool, etc).

2. Once you have the stock pads removed, you separate the stock pad from the plastic mounting ring by simply peeling it off:

3. With the stock pad separated from the plastic mounting ring, remove any adhesive residue by rubbing the residue with your thumb in a continuous rolling motion. Here's what you're left with.

4. Before you mount your Beats pad, remove the thin layer of foam from the back of the pad (if you don't, the sound will be veiled). Just tear/peel off the foam layer off and discard. The Beats pad will still have the layer of fabric in the center (like the stock pad where the L and R is written). You can see the foam layer here (the color of the foam can vary):

5. The Studio 2.0 pads come with 3M adhesive pre-attached (the good quality pads at least; the cheap ones have generic adhesive that adheres poorly). You simply peel the backing paper off, center the pad using the 4 clips as a guide (ie like 'cross hairs'), and stick the Beats pad to the face of the plastic trim ring (pressing firmly/evenly to ensure complete adhesion):

6. Now snap the pad back onto the headphone and you're done. Make sure you line up the 2 alignment pins on the plastic trim ring (shown in the top photo) with the 2 alignment holes in the face of the earcup (shown in the bottom photo):

Here's the finished product:

Because the internal volume of the Beats pads is very close to the stock pad, there is virtually no change in sound (other than a slightly wider soundstage). They are now truly over-ears (at least my ears), with no rubbing on the tweeter - success!

I feel this solution supersedes my previous pad replacements I posted a number of pages back. However, if your ears are just too large for the Beats pads, the method I laid out to use the HM5 pads (and example) is still a valid option.

Finally, replacing the Beats pads (when they eventually wear out) couldn't be easier. Just pull them off, pitch them, and peel and stick on a new set.

Wow - how did I miss that post! Incredibly awesome post and tutorial - thank you. I am so doing that.

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #489 of 1,586
Apparently it is my antihelix! I took a long hard look at my ears and I never noticed my deformity before (lol), but my antihelix's are a bit prominent. And because they are cartilage, there is not a lot of give when touching a surface...

Yes, that is exactly what rubs! It rubs the tweeter, which protrudes at an angle exactly where the antihelix is on many people's ears. The tweeter is covered by thick foam, which makes it stick up even MORE.

You can see why it rubs here:

Untitled drawing.jpg

Before you do any pad changes though, you can try to address the ear rub issue by flipping the headphones around. By wearing the R cup on the L ear (and L cup on R ear), the tweeter angles AWAY from the antihelix and no longer rubs. You can put the R/L channels back to their correct locations by reversing the cables (so R cable plugged into L cup and vice versa). The sound changes slightly when you reverse the headphones, but I actually preferred the sound this way!

I pointed this "mod" out in a very early post, but no one said anything. It's so easy to try, anyone can do it. The only thing required is swapping the cables. No tools, no removing pads, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #490 of 1,586
Before you do any pad changes though, you can try to address the ear rub issue by flipping the headphones around. By wearing the R cup on the L ear (and L cup on R ear), the tweeter angles AWAY from the antihelix and no longer rubs. You can put the R/L channels back to their correct locations by reversing the cables (so R cable plugged into L cup and vice versa). The sound changes slightly when you reverse the headphones, but I actually preferred the sound this way!

I pointed this "mod" out in a very early post, but no one said anything. It's so easy to try, anyone can do it. The only thing required is swapping the cables. No tools, no removing pads, etc.

Huh - simple yet clever! Trying it now :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #491 of 1,586
I usually listen to music when I'm working. The problem is, the TDOE's make that fairly challenging, as I keep getting distracted and zoned out by the music. The instrument separation is rather amazing and distracting. Songs that in the past I have liked but never quite been blown away with, are now blowing me away (I'm looking at you, Battle of Epping Forest!). Songs that I've been blown away by in the past are blowing me away even more lol. I was listening to Muse's Resistance last night. Blown away. Any Radiohead or Porcupine Tree tunes.. blown away.

I think I like these cans :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #492 of 1,586
I usually listen to music when I'm working. The problem is, the TDOE's make that fairly challenging, as I keep getting distracted and zoned out by the music. The instrument separation is rather amazing and distracting. Songs that in the past I have liked but never quite been blown away with, are now blowing me away (I'm looking at you, Battle of Epping Forest!). Songs that I've been blown away by in the past are blowing me away even more lol. I was listening to Muse's Resistance last night. Blown away. Any Radiohead or Porcupine Tree tunes.. blown away.

Did you turn them around yet?

How is the rubbing?

How is the sound?

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #493 of 1,586
Did you turn them around yet?

How is the rubbing?

How is the sound?

Yes, I turned them around and it is much better thank you. The rubbing is lessened, but I I can tell that I will still need to do the pad swap one of these days.

As far as the sound is concerned, that must be a rhetorical question :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #494 of 1,586

If you didn't like them, I would have had to disappear from this thread...

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #495 of 1,586
Yes, I turned them around and it is much better thank you. The rubbing is lessened, but I I can tell that I will still need to do the pad swap one of these days.

As far as the sound is concerned, that must be a rhetorical question :)

Gotcha.

I just meant did you notice any sound difference with them turned one way vs the other? I actually noticed a minor improvement - a little less veiled, a little cleaner and brighter sound.

I wish the 1More pads weren't sealed at the inside bottom edge; otherwise we could solve the rubbing and pad swap problem the easy way: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-fidelio-x2.723025/page-872#post-14241015

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back