1964 Ears
Jul 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #3,227 of 7,417
Quote:
Do any of you with clear shells or tips, have problems with yellowing of the acrylic?

If I'm not mistaken you may have to get them re-shelled in every 3 years or so due to your ear anatomy changing over time to get the perfect fit. And if you clean them well, I don't think it'll be an issue within that 3 year period but that's not an objective fact for everyone of course. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3,228 of 7,417
The reshelling requirement is not an absolute - I have owned some customs for more than 3 years that still fit fine. I know someone who is going on 8 years with a pair of UE customs, no issues. I know others who need refits after just a few years though... everyone is different, and weight gain or weight loss will be different for everyone. Someone may lose 50 pounds and it won't really affect their customs, someone else might gain or lose 20 and their ears will be significantly different. 

As for yellowing - In my experience it does happen, but isn't all that bad. It only becomes noticeable when compared to a newer clear shell. I've got a custom earpiece for work that I wear 10 hours a day for many years and it is only very slightly yellowish, when compared to a newer clear shell custom. On its own you would not call it yellow at all. I suppose it could be different (better or worse) for different brands just due to variations in materials used... but that's my experience so far. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #3,230 of 7,417
Thanks!

I was considering getting them (I bought a set of 2nd hand Quads for reshelling) i platinum transparent, but changed my mind and ordered white trans with clear tips. Now all I have to do is wait...

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #3,233 of 7,417
I've been A/Bing my (silver cabled) HD580 with the (silver cabled) Quads.  Source & amp being the ODAC & O2, respectively.  I found the sound signatures & other aspects of the presentations to be surprisingly similar.  The Quads offer more note weight, dynamics, and (are capable of) a more robust bass response.  Even the imaging & soundstage appear very similar (HD580 gets the edge though as it puts you a few rows further from the stage compared to the Quads).  Both phones possess that lovely, articulate tinge of airy warmth that seems to float across the upper mids & treble in an almost ethereal fashion.  The HD580's thinner note presentation lends to a little more air and sparkle in the treble, but the Quads deliver something very close.  Both phones are very neutral and have delicate coloration in just the right places to ooze that addicting, natural, easy-to-listen vibe.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #3,234 of 7,417
Quote:
I've been A/Bing my (silver cabled) HD580 with the (silver cabled) Quads.  Source & amp being the ODAC & O2, respectively.  I found the sound signatures & other aspects of the presentations to be surprisingly similar.  The Quads offer more note weight, dynamics, and (are capable of) a more robust bass response.  Even the imaging & soundstage appear very similar (HD580 gets the edge though as it puts you a few rows further from the stage compared to the Quads).  Both phones possess that lovely, articulate tinge of airy warmth that seems to float across the upper mids & treble in an almost ethereal fashion.  The HD580's thinner note presentation lends to a little more air and sparkle in the treble, but the Quads deliver something very close.  Both phones are very neutral and have delicate coloration in just the right places to ooze that addicting, natural, easy-to-listen vibe.

I should have my quads back in about a week, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the fit...I'm really looking forward to an alternative to my GR07s - I hope they're just as addicting. Not sure which cables I'll go with, but the new Chris_Himselfs are the frontrunners - he has a better batch of wire to work with that he bought in bulk recently. After that, I'm done with my portable setup for awhile. Next up will be getting a usb dac/amp for my laptop and, with my wife's approval, an upgrade in full-size cans. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #3,235 of 7,417
...and by the time I'm done with that, there'll probably be a new version of the J3 out, thus continuing the cycle of upgrade-itus. 
eek.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,236 of 7,417
I should have my quads back in about a week, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the fit..I'm really looking forward to an alternative to my GR07s - I hope they're just as addicting. Not sure which cables I'll go with, but the new Chris_Himselfs are the frontrunners - he has a better batch of wire to work with that he bought in bulk recently. After that, I'm done with my portable setup for awhile. Next up will be getting a usb dac/amp for my laptop and, with my wife's approval, an upgrade in full-size cans. 

I'm a big time fan of the GR07.. had it for close to a year.. and sold it as I wanted to try some other phones (while the GR07's constrained dynamic range lends it to possessing better speed and microdetailing, I (eventually) found it didn't have enough depth & note weight for my liking).  I still hold them in very high regard though and really enjoyed their tuning.  If you liked them for the same reasons I did (detail, neutrality, natural texturing, lack of fatigue, smoothness, tinge of warmth, and punchy sub bass), you'll be very happy with the Quads.  The Quads offer MUCH better dynamic range, bass is more nimble and textures almost just as well (the GR07's biocellulose driver is special).  I love the GR07 but wouldn't be surprised to see it go up for sale once the Quads get back 
wink_face.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #3,237 of 7,417
Quote:
...and by the time I'm done with that, there'll probably be a new version of the J3 out, thus continuing the cycle of upgrade-itus. 
eek.gif

Not to drag us off topic, but when the hell is Cowon releasing a J4?! Sure the Android players look nice, but I prefer battery life to being able to play angry birds.

Also, who's doing your reshell?

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3,238 of 7,417
Quote:
Not to drag us off topic, but when the hell is Cowon releasing a J4?! Sure the Android players look nice, but I prefer battery life to being able to play angry birds.

Also, who's doing your reshell?

You can bet your bottom dollar that it won't be called the J4. UM is doing the reshell and I think they'll be ready in 2 weeks after looking at my receipt. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #3,239 of 7,417
I was starting to consider the Quads or Trip's. What can people tell me about the sound signature? I havent heard much in terms of this. I know the Quads are on the bassier side, but not much else is known by me. Would appreciate help for sure

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #3,240 of 7,417
I was starting to consider the Quads or Trip's. What can people tell me about the sound signature? I havent heard much in terms of this. I know the Quads are on the bassier side, but not much else is known by me. Would appreciate help for sure

Joker & project86 have a couple of the most comprehensive, accurate reviews of the Triples I've read.  The voicing and house sound described there applies quite a bit to the Quads.  The Quads have a slightly boosted bass response.. but it's very artfully done.. and it's very nimble.  Check the graphs at the 1964Ears site to get an idea of where the generally deviate,  I've had the Quads for over a year and half and have enjoyed every moment with them.  Very accurate, smooth, detailed, and dynamic.  Bass has party rocking capability.. but only appears when called upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back