1964 Ears
Aug 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,716 of 7,417
Hey everyone. So I'm returning after a bit of an absence (crazy couple of months for me). I received my 1964-T's a few months back and since have been changing my mobile set-up set-up a bit and really coming to grips with my first Custom IEM, or IEM of any kind. I'm by no means an audiophile but I love good sound and wanted a share some of my opinions on a couple of subjects which were important for me.

Bass
Firstly, I'm running with the 1964-T's, high bit rate MP3 through a Cowon S9 and run through a Fiio E11 headphone amp- and I've got to say, i'm simply loving them. These triple driver monitors really are excellent for music which is their only function with me. If the quads are a little bit out of your price range, the Triples really won't disappoint. A big concern of mine in the beginning was bass response and having switched my MP3 source from Creative Zen vision M to the S9 with it's BBE audio hardware, I've discovered that the bass really isn't lacking. Sure, it's no dynamically driven monster, but they certainly can trawl the depths and represent tight and punchy bass while retaining full clarity in the mids and highs. Songs like Gwen Stefani's 'Hella Good' with it's driving bass drum at the start sound excellent and solid, equally with tracks like RATM- People of the sun, the bass drum and bass guitar lines are tight and defined but certainly don't feel lacking.

I especially enjoy hearing string instruments such as cellos & violins. The string line near the end of Evanescence' 'Hello' is so warm and full sounding and with a much larger soundstage than I am used to it is very rewarding.

Seperation
It think one of the great things about a multi-driver IEM is the sound separation which, for me, encourages analytical listening. I find with the triples I don't so much have to pick out a single steel triangle above a driving bass and mid line, but it's revealed to me. Listening to most Micheal Jackson tracks is like listening for the first time- the separation highlights so much of the track. 'Man In the Mirror' is a great example of this with multiple primary vocals, backing vocals, finger snaps, high/low synth etc... which all have their own place in the track but each appears with absolute clarity and tracks with multiple vocal harmonies such as Evanescence 'Haunted' is also illuminating.

Apologies for slightly scattered thoughts, but there are plenty of comprehensive reviews of the sound signature in here from users more knowledgeable than I, but I did want to throw some of my own opinions out there. I'm really enjoying the 1964-T's, had a good experience with the company, 100% fit first time around and even managed to miss out on import tax through some bout of luck! Sometimes I put them on just for curiosity to see just what I'll be able to pick out of a track :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #2,718 of 7,417
Are any of you using your Triples with portable amps? If so which one?

I listen to a whole lot of different genres, but mostly post rock. In the two days that I had my Triples before I had to send them back for a refit, I was longing for a bit of a warmer sound. I'm sure an amp will do this for me. Running them straight from a Zune HD, the sound is great, but the zune has very limited eq options. I've got a PA2v2 and an E5 lying around somewhere, but I didn't really like either of them with any of the other IEM and cans I've got. 

So I'm tempted to pick up either a Headstage arrow, E11, or something from Ibasso. Ideas, anyone?

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #2,719 of 7,417

Quote:

So I'm tempted to pick up either a Headstage arrow, E11, or something from Ibasso. Ideas, anyone?

I'm listening in on this thread because I'm toying with the idea of customs and doing my research.  From what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm most strongly considering 1964s.  For now, I have TF-10s and really enjoy them with my iBasso P3+.  Occasionally I also use them with my RSA Hornet, but for these phones I actually prefer the iBasso and I have no doubt that either a P3+ or P4 would absolutely shine with the Triples.  iBasso achieves amazing value for money in their products.  As for your specific desire for warmth, I can't speak for Triples (obviously), but I don't feel that the TF-10s exhibit the infamous v-shape sound or harsh treble at all through the P3+ in stock configuration.  The mids are full, warm, forward and somewhat lush even and the treble is just right with the right tips (monster silicone or gel supertip for me).

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #2,720 of 7,417

Quote:

Those look great! Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts. 

Quote:

I listen to a whole lot of different genres, but mostly post rock. In the two days that I had my Triples before I had to send them back for a refit, I was longing for a bit of a warmer sound. I'm sure an amp will do this for me. Running them straight from a Zune HD, the sound is great, but the zune has very limited eq options. I've got a PA2v2 and an E5 lying around somewhere, but I didn't really like either of them with any of the other IEM and cans I've got. 

I've been using the TCG T-Box for a while, and have more recently been enjoying the Audinst AMP-HP. Both are low cost items (relatively speaking) and both do a good job of adding extra clarity  to the presentation. The TCG is more mid-centric, and the Audinst is more of a warm fun sound. I prefer my 1964-T with the Audinst. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,722 of 7,417

Quote:

Hey David. I'm using a Fiio E11 with the 1964-T's. I've also come from the E5 directly. The main difference between the two is power and Bass select. The E5 is around 100mw tops I believe, where as the E11 has a high and low gain switch- high pushing around 300mw (on 16ohm headphones I believe, so a little less for the T's). The difference is noticable- I definately hear more 'presence' with the high gain on. I also feel that the E11 handles bass better than the E5, even on flat (IE no bass boost). There are 2 levels of bass boost on the amp- off, then 1 and 2. I typically keep it off unless I'm listening to something heavy. One thing to note, by activating the bass boost, even stage 1, there is a noticeable hiss. You won't hear it during the track, but in quiet parts of a track or during change over you will. The E5 did not introduce any hiss when you turned the bass boost on.

Hope this is of some help and if you have any specific questions etc...i'll help if I can.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,723 of 7,417

Quote:
Hey David. I'm using a Fiio E11 with the 1964-T's. I've also come from the E5 directly. The main difference between the two is power and Bass select. The E5 is around 100mw tops I believe, where as the E11 has a high and low gain switch- high pushing around 300mw (on 16ohm headphones I believe, so a little less for the T's). The difference is noticable- I definately hear more 'presence' with the high gain on. I also feel that the E11 handles bass better than the E5, even on flat (IE no bass boost). There are 2 levels of bass boost on the amp- off, then 1 and 2. I typically keep it off unless I'm listening to something heavy. One thing to note, by activating the bass boost, even stage 1, there is a noticeable hiss. You won't hear it during the track, but in quiet parts of a track or during change over you will. The E5 did not introduce any hiss when you turned the bass boost on.

Hope this is of some help and if you have any specific questions etc...i'll help if I can.

Thanks a bunch mate, you may have just saved me alot of money. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, as I've almost pulled the trigger on the Headstage arrow

Quote:
I'm listening in on this thread because I'm toying with the idea of customs and doing my research.  From what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm most strongly considering 1964s.  For now, I have TF-10s and really enjoy them with my iBasso P3+.  Occasionally I also use them with my RSA Hornet, but for these phones I actually prefer the iBasso and I have no doubt that either a P3+ or P4 would absolutely shine with the Triples.  iBasso achieves amazing value for money in their products.  As for your specific desire for warmth, I can't speak for Triples (obviously), but I don't feel that the TF-10s exhibit the infamous v-shape sound or harsh treble at all through the P3+ in stock configuration.  The mids are full, warm, forward and somewhat lush even and the treble is just right with the right tips (monster silicone or gel supertip for me).

I've got a pair of TF-10's too and absolutely love them. I think I'll research a bit more whilst waiting for my triples to get re-fitted. But now I'm tossing up between either the E11 or the P4

Thanks for all the input guys. Once I pull the trigger I'll write up a small review and take some photos

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2,724 of 7,417
There's no place like home. Yes, I've been dipping into the top tier universal world for awhile with the Sony EX1000/EX600, Vsong GR07 and Westone W4. And while all four those are great IEMs, there's no place like home. Today i commuted again with the 1964-Q, and wow just like the first time putting them in my ears. The Quad still rules for me (and rocks too).
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2,725 of 7,417
I got my pair of 1964-Quads in the mail and my first impressions couldn't be better.  Sound is incredible, fit is seemingly perfect, the customer service was awesome, etc.

I've read this thread in pieces throughout it's inception and don't remember specifically, so:

QUESTION -

Who has tried multiple amps with the Quad.  Any favorites?   I really have been eyeballing a Headstage Arrow 3G/4G for a while.  (I also own Ety ER46 and Monster Turbine Copper)

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2,726 of 7,417
I've tried the Fiio E11 and the Leckerton UHA-4 with the 1964Q. It sounds better with the UHA-4 especially with the highs.

Quote:
I got my pair of 1964-Quads in the mail and my first impressions couldn't be better.  Sound is incredible, fit is seemingly perfect, the customer service was awesome, etc.

I've read this thread in pieces throughout it's inception and don't remember specifically, so:

QUESTION -

Who has tried multiple amps with the Quad.  Any favorites?   I really have been eyeballing a Headstage Arrow 3G/4G for a while.  (I also own Ety ER46 and Monster Turbine Copper)

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #2,727 of 7,417
The neutral-flavored (yes, an oxymoron, I know) Arrow pairs wonderfully with the Quad if you want to maintain the phone's signature.  The Arrow's neutrality makes it one of the most versatile portable amps IMO cause it doesn't color the sound... so you can enjoy the color of your phone(s).

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,729 of 7,417
I'm guessing my impressions still haven't arrived. Sent them from Western Australia Monday week ago... I've tried emailing 1964 to see if they've arrived, and to also amend the artwork and have had no response as yet. I emailed them at the start of the week.

Are there any other Aussies here owning 1964 products?

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2,730 of 7,417
I sent my impressions from NZ, and it took about 9 days to get to 1964 in Portland. Anastasia emailed me to let me know that they had arrived, and had been entered in the cue. So I wouldn't worry - 1964 seem to be good communicators and from what I've heard, run their business well.

I'm try very hard to be patient, about 12 days into my 2-3 week wait . . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back