1964 Ears
Aug 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,732 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm guessing my impressions still haven't arrived. Sent them from Western Australia Monday week ago... I've tried emailing 1964 to see if they've arrived, and to also amend the artwork and have had no response as yet. I emailed them at the start of the week.

Are there any other Aussies here owning 1964 products?

Yup. In Darwin here. I sent mine back for a refit about a week ago, only just got the email saying they received them this morning. Sent them by express

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,733 of 7,417
Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a pair of 1964 Quads and would like some input from experienced IEM owners.  This thread has grown too large for me to filter through.

I am a bass head, but I dont want any compromises in mids or treble.  I listen to all genre's, mostly techno, hiphop, pop, rock, and a cappella (female vocals mostly).  I love the sound of headphones like ultrasone edition 8 and Audeze LCD2 r2 for these genres.  I have owned a few IEMs in the past, but none have really satisfied me except UE superfi.5 pros (haven't heard the ie8's, sm3's) .  The superfi.5 pros were good, but compared to my current headphones fall short in depth, extension, soundstage, detail, and pretty much everything except the balance of bass vs treble was on par.  Which leads me to a couple of questions...  

As a LCD2 and Edition 8 headphone owner, what kind of improvements or compromises can I expect with regard to soundstage, extension, detail, and speed/impact especially with regard to bass?

Are there any other graphs available for the quads?

Can an iPhone or similar mp3 player power these well?  I listen slightly louder than most, but definitely within range of normal listening.  

I have a practical devices Xm6 and a iBasso T2, do the quads scale up well w/ amping?

Lastly, any advice on the fitting/molding process to get the most comfortable fit?

thanks!

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2,734 of 7,417

Quote:
Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a pair of 1964 Quads and would like some input from experienced IEM owners.  This thread has grown too large for me to filter through.

I am a bass head, but I dont want any compromises in mids or treble.  I listen to all genre's, mostly techno, hiphop, pop, rock, and a cappella (female vocals mostly).  I love the sound of headphones like ultrasone edition 8 and Audeze LCD2 r2 for these genres.  I have owned a few IEMs in the past, but none have really satisfied me except UE superfi.5 pros (haven't heard the ie8's, sm3's) .  The superfi.5 pros were good, but compared to my current headphones fall short in depth, extension, soundstage, detail, and pretty much everything except the balance of bass vs treble was on par.  Which leads me to a couple of questions...  

As a LCD2 and Edition 8 headphone owner, what kind of improvements or compromises can I expect with regard to soundstage, extension, detail, and speed/impact especially with regard to bass?

Are there any other graphs available for the quads?

Can an iPhone or similar mp3 player power these well?  I listen slightly louder than most, but definitely within range of normal listening.  

I have a practical devices Xm6 and a iBasso T2, do the quads scale up well w/ amping?

Lastly, any advice on the fitting/molding process to get the most comfortable fit?

thanks!

honestly, I doubt you'll find the quads superior or even equivalent to the LCD2's, for me the quads had a very closed in soundstage (it was very off too, left/right ended up in the rear) from what i remember, the LCD2's were a lot more detailed with a similar amount of bass (less slam though as a result of being a open headphone, the treble and the overall range was much more detailed as well. to me, the quads are just a slight improvement compared to top tier universal IEM's, very hard to justify the fitment, the time and the overall cost for such a small improvement, I think you'll be better off going with a true top tier custom IEM, the amount of drivers doesn't matter, what matters is how it was tuned/designed

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #2,735 of 7,417
I have had the LCD 2 rev.1 and now have the LCD 2 rev.2 and also the Quads.  Besides the difference of being an open headphone versus an iem, I find the performance of the Quads to be very satisfactory.  Without significantly upgrading my portable rig I can't see spending more on iems than what the Quads or Triples offer.  Are they equivalent to LCD 2's?  No but not many headphones are.  A custom iem of the quality of a 1964 with a proper fit is definitely a special listening experience not unlike listening to a high quality home rig.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #2,736 of 7,417

You are probably right.  I should have been more clear about this, just I was having trouble getting my thoughts across.

I don't think I will be able to find an IEM to rival my lcd2s (or edition 8s) detail, soundstage, extension, and impact.  I was moreso trying to convey that I want that type of signature sound.  Meaning, I want it to share the same balance of strengths and weaknesses even though no individual aspect of it will be on par with the lcd2.  Kinda like the relation of a beyer dt880 w/ a beyer t1.  Where the dt880 sounds worse than the T1 with regard to detail, stage, extension, etc.  Despite this, since everything is proportionally worse and the graphs are similar the overall signatures aren't too different. 

Hopefully that made some sense to someone in some way lol

Quote:
honestly, I doubt you'll find the quads superior or even equivalent to the LCD2's, for me the quads had a very closed in soundstage (it was very off too, left/right ended up in the rear) from what i remember, the LCD2's were a lot more detailed with a similar amount of bass (less slam though as a result of being a open headphone, the treble and the overall range was much more detailed as well. to me, the quads are just a slight improvement compared to top tier universal IEM's, very hard to justify the fitment, the time and the overall cost for such a small improvement, I think you'll be better off going with a true top tier custom IEM, the amount of drivers doesn't matter, what matters is how it was tuned/designed

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #2,737 of 7,417
Just got a reshelled TF-10 from them last week. The fit is amazing, and I can't really notice any sound difference from the TF-10s at all (besides just being far more comfortable).  The seal is tight and extremely comfort.  When these eventually wear out, they will get my business again.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #2,738 of 7,417

Quote:
You are probably right.  I should have been more clear about this, just I was having trouble getting my thoughts across.

I don't think I will be able to find an IEM to rival my lcd2s (or edition 8s) detail, soundstage, extension, and impact.  I was moreso trying to convey that I want that type of signature sound.  Meaning, I want it to share the same balance of strengths and weaknesses even though no individual aspect of it will be on par with the lcd2.  Kinda like the relation of a beyer dt880 w/ a beyer t1.  Where the dt880 sounds worse than the T1 with regard to detail, stage, extension, etc.  Despite this, since everything is proportionally worse and the graphs are similar the overall signatures aren't too different. 

Hopefully that made some sense to someone in some way lol

ahh, now that makes sense, in all honesty, I personally wouldn't spend too much on IEM's in general since no matter what, IEM's have glaring limitations that fullsize/on ear phones resolve, also, ambient noise will always bleed through so the finest details are masked unless you're using the phones in a private quiet area

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #2,739 of 7,417
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree here and say IME the top IEMs I've heard/have are easily more detailed than the top headphones I have/heard.  I presume too the above comment about ambient noise leakage was directed at heapdhones not IEMs because no headphone can hold a candle to IEMs in that regard.  If I had to rank things with my preferences based on a cost/performance/enjoyment ratio it would be Speakers>IEMs>Headphones.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #2,740 of 7,417

Quote:
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree here and say IME the top IEMs I've heard/have are easily more detailed than the top headphones I have/heard.  I presume too the above comment about ambient noise leakage was directed at heapdhones not IEMs because no headphone can hold a candle to IEMs in that regard.  If I had to rank things with my preferences based on a cost/performance/enjoyment ratio it would be Speakers>IEMs>Headphones.

I think I might agree with you there. Top level custom IEMs just have a certain "something" that even the best full sized cans don't have. Big headphones and speakers also have their own strengths, so it really comes down to preferences. But I know plenty of people who chose high end IEMs over the alternatives, and not for lack of choices either. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2,741 of 7,417
If anyone is interested I will do a brief comparison of triple vs quad. Had the trips for a couple of weeks which were send back (amicably) and the quads will be arriving any day now.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2,742 of 7,417
mine should be in my hands around mid september... the wait is absolutely unbearable...  reading people's impressions and PMs really doesn't help either!

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2,744 of 7,417
I use the exact same combo but when I use my JH13 (remolded by 1964 ears) instead of the 1964Q, I get taken to another sonic dimension
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Man...the Quads were amazing before, but now that I have a Leckerton UHA-4, the sound is at another level. I literally can't imagine how music can sound better that is has been this evening!

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2,745 of 7,417
I'm REALLY trying not to become excited about the idea of NEW customs since I've had the Quads only for a couple of months. Predictably, I have been wondering lately "If 4 drivers are this good, what would 6 or 8 sound like? Or four BA drivers with a dynamic driver for bass?". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back