1964 Ears
Jun 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2,566 of 7,417
How do you guys know you have the right fit? 
I am asking because I feel I have the tips deep in my ears while shure IEM or FA eterna seems more comfortable with foam tips than my customs

Anyone?

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2,567 of 7,417
does anyone have experience with the 1964 ears single driver custom?
i want to purchase a set of customs to compliment my ES5s at a lower cost.
not considering universals because custom fit is required!

what kind of sonic differences should i expect?
1964 ears says they are midrange focused...

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #2,568 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
How do you guys know you have the right fit? 
I am asking because I feel I have the tips deep in my ears while shure IEM or FA eterna seems more comfortable with foam tips than my customs

Anyone?

I can't speak for anyone else. But I judge a proper fit by a few things: 

1) Comfort. Once you get used to them (which could take weeks), they shouldn't hurt at all.

2) Seal. Do they isolate fairly well, and the same on each side? Listening to the Sensaphonics test tones from their website, does the bass sound balanced?

3) Secure fit. They should not feel too loose, or be delicate as to how they need to be in order to fit properly. Once you get them in, they should be kind of hard to get out. 

That's basically it. It takes some getting used to because it is a different sensation compared to regular tips. But once you are used to them you really should not have any problems. I basically forget I'm wearing them. If there is too much pressure at any point, that's a problem. 

I found that the lack of pressure was a little weird at first. When you have a triple flange tip or foamies, you are always aware of them putting pressure on your inner ear. Customs don't do that. But once I got used to it I loved it.

Quote:
does anyone have experience with the 1964 ears single driver custom?
i want to purchase a set of customs to compliment my ES5s at a lower cost.
not considering universals because custom fit is required!

what kind of sonic differences should i expect?
1964 ears says they are midrange focused...

I don't know that we've heard from anyone with the single driver 1964-S. But myself and a few others have been pleased with the single driver Kozee Infinity X1 customs. I would call it a midrange focused sound. It's pretty darn good considering the price. I think I like it better than my prior single driver favorites, the Phonak PFE and Shure SE310. 

I don't know how well the X1 experience translates to the 1964-S. It could be better or worse. I'm just saying that it is in fact possible to get pretty good sound from a single driver custom. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,569 of 7,417
Curious, tried to drive though these 100+ plus pages.

Looking for a custom IEM for stage monitoring use. (Now becoming a requirement). I don't work with crud mp3s on a player, regardless of what pre-amp/head-amp it is running through. My worst source is FLAC on a DAW workstation through a higher quality break-out audio interface.

I gave JHA an audition through their series and prefered the JH13 PROs. I was told by some musician friends to check out 1964s. Price point is totally different. Is the performance? Is it relative?

I ask as I have a fair amount into my performance rig (8K+) and do not mind spending something more for something better. Current monitoring needs are fullfilled with Dynaudio BM5As (near field) and QSC HPR112is (far field and small FOH sound as required).
Anything in the 1964 close to the JH13 PROs for pro needs?

I guess the best way to ask this, in a higher end system, what is the cost benefit ratio when trying to hear true, articulate sound, versus something semi bloated for listening enjoyment? Having only heard JHA through their entire series, LiveWire triples and Fidelity triples> All but the JH5 blew the other makes away. Right now my preference, again, is the JH13 PRO. (yes over the 16).

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2,570 of 7,417

Quote:
I don't know that we've heard from anyone with the single driver 1964-S. But myself and a few others have been pleased with the single driver Kozee Infinity X1 customs. I would call it a midrange focused sound. It's pretty darn good considering the price. I think I like it better than my prior single driver favorites, the Phonak PFE and Shure SE310. 

I don't know how well the X1 experience translates to the 1964-S. It could be better or worse. I'm just saying that it is in fact possible to get pretty good sound from a single driver custom. 

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.
Good to hear it could be a positive experience along with the ES5s.
Maybe I can post some feedback on the 1964-S in a couple months time.

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #2,572 of 7,417

Quote:
Hi does anyone know anything about or has experienced the soft canal option?

yes, I upgraded from acrylic to soft tips after i opted for a free of charge remold. TBH, I didn't find them all too much more comfortable, harder to get in (lubricant..er spit) is needed for a easy insertion. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #2,573 of 7,417
Oh really, thanks for that. Do you know what material it's made of? I have sillicone custom earplugs for sleep, they're hard to get in because they grip more (yeah I did have to 'lubricate' too
biggrin.gif
), but after a while they twist in pretty easily, probably from picking up oil from the skin.

So they're not that more comfortable huh, might skip it then.

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,574 of 7,417
Did consider it before. Asked the 1964 EARS staff and they confirmed that they are using the same "heat-activated" vinyl material as what the Westone ES5's are using.

Quote:
Oh really, thanks for that. Do you know what material it's made of? I have sillicone custom earplugs for sleep, they're hard to get in because they grip more (yeah I did have to 'lubricate' too
biggrin.gif
), but after a while they twist in pretty easily, probably from picking up oil from the skin.

So they're not that more comfortable huh, might skip it then.

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #2,578 of 7,417
I think you're referring to the ear gel that costs $4? It's $50 for soft canals. I think I'll stick to the normal acrylic if their comfort are not much improved plus it seems the soft canal tips need some maintenance in case of 'drying' out.

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #2,579 of 7,417
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I want to try customs and I'm on the fence between a silicone 1964-T and UM Mage.

My decision would be simple if UM offered silicone shells, but they don't, so I'm considering 1964-T silicone as an alternative (1964-Q apparently does not have the $100 silicone option).

The SM3 has been somewhat of a disappointment to me, as it is just too laid back for my taste.  I keep going back to my ER6i which I find more airy and engaging (even though they lack the refinement, bass, and "emotion" of the SM3)
From the impressions I've read, I think the UM house sound will be more to my liking than 1964's, as some people seem to be saying that the 1964-T is a bit "laid back" like the SM3. 

However, the extra comfort and isolation benefits of the full silicone mold are highly desirable to me, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity for that...but not too much!   Just how "laid back" is the 1964-T?   I recently tried a JH16 demo unit and thought it was wonderful. If the 1964-T is anything close to that I'll be thrilled.  If it sounds like an SM3 then I don't think I'll like it. 

Thanks

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #2,580 of 7,417
If you liked the JH16 you will probably like the UM house sound more than the 1964. Ignoring the lows completely, the upper mids and highs of all the UM models I've heard are much more similar. 

I haven't heard the SM3 so I can't be sure how it compares, but the 1964-T certainly is a little bit smooth and laid back.

Have you checked out Average Joe's custom thread? 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541494/custom-iem-resource-thread-summary-reviews-info-custom-iem-manufacturers

If you are really set on going full silicone, there are more options out there. I don't know if any would necessarily fit your needs but it is something to look in to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back