1964 Ears
Jun 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2,551 of 7,417
A quick note on the Triples:
I was comparing them to a set of JH13s the other day, a demo pair. Yes I know its an unfair comparison due to price and driver number but still. The triples are meant to be hitting way above their price point so I decided to AB them anyway.
The first thing I noticed from going to the JH13s was. Where. Is. My. Bass! I didn't quite realize this but the triples are actually quite a bassy set of earphones, at least in the mid-bass region. This would be good for some but it proved a detriment to me when I compared them next to the JH13s, which has a punchy bass with a decent amount of quantity, while retaining an EXCELLENT soundstage and imaging. The problem immediately became evident in that the trips had a very much more forward sound as well as a reduced soundstage/imaging due to the pervasive bass being ever present instead of confined to a section of the mental stage. Everything just seems to be right next to your ears instead of nicely spaced out like in the JH13s, which also had crystal clear clarity. On the other end of the spectrum however, with regards to mids and trebles perhaps it might be a psychoacoustic bias on my part but I found the Triples to be a lot more lifelike and natural with regards to timbre.
Anyone care to comment?
beyersmile.png

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2,552 of 7,417
I'm only an amateur so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I dont find them to be neutral (to my standards/untrained ears). They are quite bassy, and lack a bit of high end; which by the way, I could care less, because I listen to hip hop and all that new junk. If I had to describe the type of sound they had on a graph, I would say a steadily downward sloping hill coming to a neutral even ground...

All in all, to my ears...

Strong sub bass
Rather smooth, tight, velvetty midbass
slightly recessed, rolled off high end.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #2,553 of 7,417
I got my Quads in yesterday. Loving them so far. Fit is perfect. Coming from SM3's and TF10's, they are much clearer than the SM3's and not shrilly and sibilant like the TF10's. By far though the highlight in these are the bass. I find they are a good match for those who listen to trance or any type of electronic dance music.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,554 of 7,417
It's still very awkward for me to wear customs. Maybe because im used to having triple flanges very deep in my ear canal. The customs feel rather loose; like they COULD slip out, but I tried to make them fall out; however they stayed firm. They form a good seal & dont break seal or anything, it's just a strange feeling/fit.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2,555 of 7,417

Quote:
A quick note on the Triples:
I was comparing them to a set of JH13s the other day, a demo pair. Yes I know its an unfair comparison due to price and driver number but still. The triples are meant to be hitting way above their price point so I decided to AB them anyway.
The first thing I noticed from going to the JH13s was. Where. Is. My. Bass! I didn't quite realize this but the triples are actually quite a bassy set of earphones, at least in the mid-bass region. This would be good for some but it proved a detriment to me when I compared them next to the JH13s, which has a punchy bass with a decent amount of quantity, while retaining an EXCELLENT soundstage and imaging. The problem immediately became evident in that the trips had a very much more forward sound as well as a reduced soundstage/imaging due to the pervasive bass being ever present instead of confined to a section of the mental stage. Everything just seems to be right next to your ears instead of nicely spaced out like in the JH13s, which also had crystal clear clarity. On the other end of the spectrum however, with regards to mids and trebles perhaps it might be a psychoacoustic bias on my part but I found the Triples to be a lot more lifelike and natural with regards to timbre.
Anyone care to comment?
beyersmile.png

I'll comment as one who has both the 1964-T and the JH13. I think the JH13 has a roughly similar amount of bass overall, but it is arranged in a different way. The small bass boost seems to be at maybe 80Hz and below, and is a good compromise between punchy and rumbly (is that a word?). The 1964-T is more focused around 50Hz and above, so it has a different result. Yes, a bit more midbass, which sometimes is a good thing and sometimes not. 

By far the bigger difference to me is the 4kHz and above area - JH13 has a lot more presence there, which helps give it more of that clarity and detail. the 1964-T is still pretty detailed, but it is a more laid back presentation. 

I agree that they don't compare well when you just A/B them. The 1964-T gets the short end of that stick. But taken as an overall experience, they still sound quite good for the money in my opinion. 

Quote:
It's still very awkward for me to wear customs. Maybe because im used to having triple flanges very deep in my ear canal. The customs feel rather loose; like they COULD slip out, but I tried to make them fall out; however they stayed firm. They form a good seal & dont break seal or anything, it's just a strange feeling/fit.

You'll get used to them. Remember how odd it felt when you first started wearing deep triple flanges? For most people anyway, that takes some getting used to as well. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2,556 of 7,417
ya,  I think the 1964-Ts definitely have a fun EQ to them.  I like the punchy bass, and I really like the "rolled off" highs... I really can't tell that I am missing anything.  Really for the price I paid for them, I don't think it will be possible to find anything that comes close.  Lets face it, to get a better sound than the triples or quads, you are looking at quite a bit more cost. But sure, its out there. So, is it worth the price for a guy like me that is making middle class money, and with a family to support to upgrade to the more expensive JH13? nope. This is a stellar set of customs... and I would say "Go for it" if you are thinking about getting a pair of Quads or Triples, before the price will go up eventually.  Which I am sure they will... It the demand stays as strong as it is, I am sure they will raise the prices at least a little.  I know that Vitaly got into the business though to keep prices down for a good set of customs... lets see if he feels this way a year from now...  

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2,557 of 7,417
I keep trying to decide between the 1964-Q's and the SM3 v2s and I'm a bit put off by the idea of having to reshell them in 3-4 years because my ears outgrow them.  I'm 29 - is this likely to be an actual problem?  1964 said it's $190 to reshell and dropping that every 3 years puts me off.  I'd rather just get a great pair of regular IEMs.  At the same time I can't stop lusting after customs... :wink:

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,558 of 7,417

Quote:
I keep trying to decide between the 1964-Q's and the SM3 v2s and I'm a bit put off by the idea of having to reshell them in 3-4 years because my ears outgrow them.  I'm 29 - is this likely to be an actual problem?  1964 said it's $190 to reshell and dropping that every 3 years puts me off.  I'd rather just get a great pair of regular IEMs.  At the same time I can't stop lusting after customs... :wink:

The chances are, you will buy a lot of tips for the SM3 during those 3 year periods as well(my ear canals changed during this one year of using different tips, it is getting bigger, not naturally tho, it is an artificial result from getting a good fit from those universal tips), not to mention they don't provide the custom comfort and isolation, I've had SM3 for a year now, it looks like this is how long the stock cable last me as well, might want to factor that in as well. If I were given a choice a year ago, I'd have went the custom route.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #2,559 of 7,417
How do you guys know you have the right fit? 
I am asking because I feel I have the tips deep in my ears while shure IEM or FA eterna seems more comfortable with foam tips than my customs

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,560 of 7,417
Don't forget, the 1964-V6 (six drivers) might be out before the year is out, or sometime early next year.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2,561 of 7,417
I just got the tracker number for the Quads. Only 5 business days to Tokyo! After waiting patiently for just on a month and staying relatively cool and calm about the whole thing, getting that tracker number has got me so excited! 

But now I'm a little nervous. The ear impressions I got made weren't with the benefit of a bite guard, so I had to use my fingers. Hope that the fit is still good.

Also, 1964 Ears asked me to send in my CK10s for the custom tips. I'll miss them, but I've still got my RE0s if I want to hear tinkly detailed trebles, and soon I'll have the QUADS! Sweet!

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2,562 of 7,417
I think I'm spoilt because I've been using E3c's since they came out and every so often I grab another batch of cheap tri-flanges and keep going with them.  I've probably thrown about $30 at them since buying.  I'll have to think about it.  I mean realistically I shouldn't be expecting to buy a pair of customs that I use for 10 years considering how fast the technology changes, but it's REAL hard to convince the wife that these tiny little things are worth $600 :wink:

Quote:
The chances are, you will buy a lot of tips for the SM3 during those 3 year periods as well(my ear canals changed during this one year of using different tips, it is getting bigger, not naturally tho, it is an artificial result from getting a good fit from those universal tips), not to mention they don't provide the custom comfort and isolation, I've had SM3 for a year now, it looks like this is how long the stock cable last me as well, might want to factor that in as well. If I were given a choice a year ago, I'd have went the custom route.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2,563 of 7,417

Quote:
Congrats.. Anastasia emailed me yesterday stating my quads should ship out by the week/end.. YES! The anticipation since I ordered these has made the wait feel like this was the longest month EVER.

You're almost there @ FlySweep!! lol
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #2,564 of 7,417
So I've been using the 1964-T quite a bit lately since my other customs are currently in China getting a refit but that's besides the point. I've really come to appreciate the 1964-T even though it is not perfect but then again name me one product that is.

i still enjoy these even though lately I've been spending more time with my full sized rig and namely the HD600 and DT880 and my focus right now is on full sized rigs and not portable. I use the 1964-T mostly with my J3 and for $350 I still consider them a good deal. I don't know what the price is now but months later and way past any new toy effect I really like mine. They respond well to EQ (within a reasonable amount of EQ) and better sources/amps. Out of my D100 it sounds wonderful and is about as good as it can get with the 1964-T. I haven't missed my other customs that much even though they are clearly superior as the 1964-T comes pretty close.

I've also been thinking about getting the Moon Audio iem cable since I can appreciate the build quality and looks of an after market cable. It is a bit expensive for cosmetic reasons however and I would probably want to get one for each of my customs so thats almost the price of the 1964-T right there :p

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2,565 of 7,417

Quote:
You'll get used to them. Remember how odd it felt when you first started wearing deep triple flanges? For most people anyway, that takes some getting used to as well.

The triple flanges did cause discomfort at first, but I adjusted; however that was more of a discomfort feeling. The customs is more of a loose, insecure feeling however it actually isn't. I'm probably just being over paranoid about it; hopefully I will adjust to it soon; it really bothers me that I can't get the comfort feeling down because I really enjoy the sound and bass I am getting from the triples.

As for the deep triple flanges, I like the MEElectronics small triple flanges that come with the M6. For some reason, I can't find another company that sells the small type triple flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back