1964 Ears
Apr 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,116 of 7,417

Quote:
The original post was kind of concluding that the extra bass may have come from some bone structure conducting. Perhaps Vitaliy made a "Tweak" by adjusting the shell mold such that it wouldn't contact the "bone part" of his ear, resulting with less conducted bass. Perhaps my assumption is wrong though.

the "ear" doesn't have a "bone part" until it gets past the tympanic membrane where the ossicles lie.  the outer ear is all cartilage.  so i dunno what tweak they did.... 

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2,117 of 7,417
so you are saying there is no bone structure at the entrance to the ear canal?  I sure feel something hard there LOL

yes there is tons of cartilage and potentially that is where it is was causing an issue and or the bone.

I had a graph of my quads and a graph of a typical pair of TF-10.  I had TF-10 at the time and sat down to compare quads and tf-10.  

The TF-10 sounded like it looked on the graph and the quads sounded like it had a bass boost option engaged between 40-80 hz and sounded nothing like the graph looked.  I attempted to recreate the sound I heard with the quads while wearing the TF-10 via foobars EQ.  Something wasn't right after looking how jacked up the bass was graphically, it didn't look like the relative difference between the two curves over-layed at all!  They adjusted them for me and now they sound like I expected.  What else do you want me to say?  Now they sound how everyone else describes them.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #2,118 of 7,417
Thanks.  I went with opaque mainly because I wasn't seeing many on the forum.  I'm very pleased with the outcome.  

Quote:
Those look nice! Is it solid white with clear tips? I've always wanted a solid set if customs but I always end up with translucent because I want to see the "guts" of them. Yours look great!

Quote:
very nice megalomaniac and vinnividi.

For anyone who can answer a question on fit:
When wearing your customs, how much pressure should there be in the anti-helix area?

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2,119 of 7,417

Quote:
For anyone who can answer a question on fit:
When wearing your customs, how much pressure should there be in the anti-helix area?

I was having trouble with my right anti-helix and it turned out that I had a little ridge that should have been under the anti-helix resting against it. You should have little shelf there for the area behind the anti-helix. Slip it under and the custom should be snug in your concha.

That's not a very good description, but basically it's got to fit all the way into your outer ear area there.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,120 of 7,417

Quote:
very nice megalomaniac and vinnividi. i am really curious to hear how the IEMs sound with the silver dragon. i have the quads in my ears as i typed this (listening at high gain through my fiio e7/e9. really there are no words to describe how wonderful the quad sound to my ears right now. i guess i'll put the 215 in my ears for my commute to work in the morning. happy listening indeed.

I'm listening to a bunch of songs I know by heart with the stock and silver to see what the differences are. So far with the stock cable I can't listen to them through the HM-601 but with the silver dragon it's tolerable. I'll be able to say more when I have listened longer.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #2,121 of 7,417
DONE!  Finally finished reading the whole thread! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I think I'm going to jump on these as they seem to be the best bang for buck custom IEMs that should suit my big bass and soundstage preferences!  Although I really wonder what I'll be "missing" out compared to the MG6PRO (which i'm also interested in).  At least I should be able to listen to the UM Miracle universal demo and compare that with whatever I purchase.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #2,122 of 7,417
actually im curious about the hm-601 too. does it sound good with the quads ?

Quote:
I'm listening to a bunch of songs I know by heart with the stock and silver to see what the differences are. So far with the stock cable I can't listen to them through the HM-601 but with the silver dragon it's tolerable. I'll be able to say more when I have listened longer.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #2,123 of 7,417
Has anyone tried the Quads (or even the triples) paired up with iBasso D10/D12, Headstage Arrow 12HE, or the Pico Slim before? I have the D10's right now, but looking for a low profile amp to use on-the-go and wanted to figure out how those might compare to my D10's when paired with the Quads.

Let's hope I hear some good news from 1964EARS in about 2 days as how they "quoted" it should be done by...
popcorn.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,124 of 7,417

The HM-601 and quads both have smoothed treble and with the stock cable I thought it sounded horrible. The silver dragon cable did a little to fix it and it's tolerable now but I would rather listen to my ipod touch 2g.
Quote:
actually im curious about the hm-601 too. does it sound good with the quads ?

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #2,125 of 7,417

Quote:
The HM-601 and quads both have smoothed treble and with the stock cable I thought it sounded horrible. The silver dragon cable did a little to fix it and it's tolerable now but I would rather listen to my ipod touch 2g.

I'm curious what you're doing to evaluate the differences between the cables.  Are you volume matching?  If so, how?

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #2,126 of 7,417

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Quads (or even the triples) paired up with iBasso D10/D12, Headstage Arrow 12HE, or the Pico Slim before? I have the D10's right now, but looking for a low profile amp to use on-the-go and wanted to figure out how those might compare to my D10's when paired with the Quads.

Let's hope I hear some good news from 1964EARS in about 2 days as how they "quoted" it should be done by...
popcorn.gif

I tried the quads with the Arrow and the Leckerton UHA-4.  The Arrow had way too much gain for me, and this one had gain I lowered by Headphonia.  I ended up selling it and keeping the Leckerton.  Caveat is that I listen pretty quietly.  My arrow with lowered gain was +3 db, the Leckerton UHA-4 is -6 db.  Have not tried the Pico Slim with the quads, but I did hear one last year.  Nice amp.  I think there was mention of hissing with the Pico Slim elsewhere in the thread, but I could be wrong.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,127 of 7,417
Thank you sir...

Quote:

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,128 of 7,417
I recieved my Quads today. Unfortunately the fit is bad in my left ear so I'm going to have to identify the problem. Did someone earlier post a link to a tool which helps you identify the problem areas to help with the refit? I'd appreciate a pointer.

I'll be taking pictures at the weekend but overall I'm a little disappointed by the build quality and finish. This may however be due to the size and shape of my ears in part. I'm wary to describe the sound as I cannot get a satisfactory seal on the left unit but it sounds very promising.

I had a feeling that my impressions were badly taken. I think if I have problems with the refit and need impressions retaken I'm going to be contacting the audiologist and requesting a free replacement impression or a refund.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2,129 of 7,417

Quote:
I recieved my Quads today. Unfortunately the fit is bad in my left ear so I'm going to have to identify the problem. Did someone earlier post a link to a tool which helps you identify the problem areas to help with the refit? I'd appreciate a pointer.

I'll be taking pictures at the weekend but overall I'm a little disappointed by the build quality and finish. This may however be due to the size and shape of my ears in part. I'm wary to describe the sound as I cannot get a satisfactory seal on the left unit but it sounds very promising.

I had a feeling that my impressions were badly taken. I think if I have problems with the refit and need impressions retaken I'm going to be contacting the audiologist and requesting a free replacement impression or a refund.

http://ultimateears.com/support/fit-tool/main.html

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #2,130 of 7,417
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61774814@N06/sets/72157626374670577/

OK, well here are my triples, got 'em today.  And man, I am really impressed.  Colors are lt blue (right) and charcoal (left) with clear tips... It took about 22 days since day of purchase.  I picked them up personally at shop this morning.  I spoke with Vitaly for a bit about perception of the company.  They literally only have two techs besides himself... (He was working on a pair when I walked in)  He was stating it is really hard to find someone in the area that is capable of doing really good work.  He said you can't just get anyone off the street, or you'll end up with bubbles and cracks... 

I say all that to say, the wait time is getting quicker because he does plan on expanding and the business has slowed from last month with the special they did... anyways... They fit perfect, no seal problems... I tried to break the seal, and I could just barely if I made some really weird faces... The sound is also perfect for me... I like my bass and I was worried because I am a basehead and I couldn't afford the quads... but fear not, they have plenty of punchy bass... And very quality.  Highs are perfect for me, very clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back